Malkoff AAA Flashlight? Now with poll.

Would you buy an AAA Malkoff light?

• Yes, regardless of options.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Yes, with qualifiers. I'm a Flashaholic, after all...

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Javora

Enlightened
Re: Malkoff AAA Flashlight?

Another interesting thought ... maybe make these in steel ?

I said something about either stainless steel or titanium a page or two back. Frankly I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't made out of either of those two metals. Also think 60 lumen is too low for a high. I'd rather see a 90 or 120 high and a 10 lumen low. Maybe a control ring with a off setting?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm looking for a simple, one-size-fits-all type of light, built to Malkoff quality standards.

If I'm using something diminutive like an AAA light, then my EDC is either out of juice or temporarily misplaced. I just wanna turn it on and see close by stuff. I would not be opposed to a more intricate UI, but my concern is that asking for overly complex features or expensive metals will either price this item out of existence or turn Mr. Malkoff away before getting started.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened

I'm in. I do like think the high needs to be around 120 and I like the idea of either a two stage twisty or the button.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im fine with 60 lumens. I can barly see any difference between my 55 lumen vollison sp11 and 110 lumen ti tool. The difference is so small thay you have to double check and triple check to notice any difference. It sounds lika a lot of difference, but we see light in a logarithmic way, so the visual difference is really small. Imo those extra lumen is not worth half the runtime in a single or dual mode light.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am a big fan of progressive twisty ui, such as the one in original Aeons. Would love to see it in this aaa light

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

It might be useful to see what he could do, at what price point, with how many pre-orders would need to be placed before the project takes off.

Kind of like Kickstarter, in some respects.

It might be useful to see what he could do, at what price point, with how many pre-orders would need to be placed before the project takes off.

Kind of like Kickstarter, in some respects.

+1. I'd like to hear what Gene thinks about it. Even if he decides to build an AAA I doubt he wants to build ten different versions! I would like one if it's clean and simple, so it will be interesting to see if he's interested in going ahead with a prototype.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1. I'd like to hear what Gene thinks about it. Even if he decides to build an AAA I doubt he wants to build ten different versions! I would like one if it's clean and simple, so it will be interesting to see if he's interested in going ahead with a prototype.

It may be more productive to approach this thread from the other direction. In other words, let's find out what sort of device, if any, he'd be willing to build and how many pledges he would need in order to start. We might also learn something about a potential price point. With those questions answered, we could each make an informed decision and take a fresh count. Of course, he may just say "no thank you."

Perhaps the OP will contact Mr. Malkoff and inquire about his interest?

Javora

Enlightened

Maybe if we make a list of all the suggestions and get a consensus on the features we want. Then see if Malkoff is willing to make that kind of light. With a consensus we can get a better idea of how many people are willing to buy it.

glimmer

Newly Enlightened

Big Malkoff fan here, but I'm not sure an AAA light fits the Malkoff design ethos. The only thing AAA batteries have going for them is small size. They have a fraction of the power of slightly larger AA's. Malkoff flashlights favor durability and reliability over size. I worry an AAA light designed and built to typical Malkoff standards might lose the very thing that makes an AAA light desirable- small size. For example, the Malkoff AA MDC is 4.50" long, while the Maratac AA is 3.05". That's a huge difference. (in no way am I saying the quality is comparable) There is a trade-off.

Also, as a lover of high CRI lights, I'm encouraged by the number of people asking for a high CRI design- yet, I don't see a single high CRI light on the Malkoff website! I know they can sometimes be found elsewhere (my Nichia Malkoff is my favorite light), but again this is not a Malkoff priority. He favors output and run-time over CRI.

I've followed this thread from the beginning, and am interested to see what, if anything, Gene comes up with in this regard. Just being realistic, and definitely not holding my breath!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Big Malkoff fan here, but I'm not sure an AAA light fits the Malkoff design ethos. The only thing AAA batteries have going for them is small size. They have a fraction of the power of slightly larger AA's. Malkoff flashlights favor durability and reliability over size. I worry an AAA light designed and built to typical Malkoff standards might lose the very thing that makes an AAA light desirable- small size. For example, the Malkoff AA MDC is 4.50" long, while the Maratac AA is 3.05". That's a huge difference. (in no way am I saying the quality is comparable) There is a trade-off.

Also, as a lover of high CRI lights, I'm encouraged by the number of people asking for a high CRI design- yet, I don't see a single high CRI light on the Malkoff website! I know they can sometimes be found elsewhere (my Nichia Malkoff is my favorite light), but again this is not a Malkoff priority. He favors output and run-time over CRI.

I've followed this thread from the beginning, and am interested to see what, if anything, Gene comes up with in this regard. Just being realistic, and definitely not holding my breath!

I take your point. The final dimensions of the light have been a concern for some. We would need more information about this hypothetical device, assuming Gene isn't laughing about this thread over coffee this morning.

By the way, you can get a high CRI Wildcat v6. Doesn't detract from your point, just sayin...:nana:

glimmer

Newly Enlightened

I take your point. The final dimensions of the light have been a concern for some. We would need more information about this hypothetical device, assuming Gene isn't laughing about this thread over coffee this morning.

By the way, you can get a high CRI Wildcat v6. Doesn't detract from your point, just sayin...:nana:

Right you are! Forgot about that one. :eek:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1

Friends, don't let friends get Malkoff lights in the AAA format!

Nichia!

Banned

Update From Gene:
bdaf0d1c4b66f08ef1f50eb39d4a561a.jpg

Javora

Enlightened

Sure looks that way. A year would give us time to settle on most of the common features.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's not impossible, certainly, but as noted - it would be a bit of a deviation from the concepts of the primary line.

That said, while I don't imagine a Malkoff AAA would overtake sales of any other particular model, it is possible to build bomb-proof and small AAA lights: the Fenix E01 may be ugly as sin, but nobody disputes its ability to take abuse. Likewise I believe the new Surefire Titan/Plus lights are pretty robust and still small enough to fit within the AAA range - the Plus certainly fits well enough on my keychain.

But per the man himself in another thread, they're tinkering with user-programmable lights which, I imagine, is taking up a lot of his time - if not most of it. So I imagine any side-trips, while feasible, are going to be hanging out on the back burner for a while.

Latest posts