Malkoff Devices--User Programmable Flashlight

recDNA

Flashaholic
I will always prefer magnetic infinite adjustment ring even though they have basically disappeared.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone keeps talking about the high/low ring. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the high/low ring a mechanical solution for achieving multiple brightness settings when the electronics are not designed to do it themselves. Much like using QTC, it functions based on resistance, which is not the most efficient way to do things.

Also, could someone explain how it is any more convenient to use the high/low switch when I need TWO hands to change the brightness setting by twisting the head on or off in order to pre-select my initial brightness, vs only one hand to press the McClicky softly once then again to bring on the higher setting? I bet anyone $1000 that I can do a rapid "double tap" to the McClicky faster and smoother than anyone can twist the head to the desired position and then activate the light.

Seems to me the high/low switch is a physical solution to the limitations of older technology. Nowadays we send E-mails or Fax or Text messages rather than the old mechanical system of using a homing pigeon. Solid state electrics are the new way in my opinion.

Sure!

Just try to change the output selection that the light will turn on at BEFORE you turn on the light with an electronic multi mode light.
Just that right there makes the Hi/Low ring worth it.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most will agree that the simple high low ring is a cornerstone of the Malkoff brand. It's not going anywhere (thank goodness) but I don't think it will be incorporated into this product. Seems like the user programmable device would be an addition to the MDC line, not a replacement for anything else.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I see you point but how do disco modes make a light less reliable. Maybe your comparing an American made product to a cheap China product that costs a tenth of the price.

Somehow....someway most lights die from bricking or funky UI issues rather than physical abuse. They just go.....:poof:Seems to happen more often with more complex UIs. I wonder if the issue isn't overall quality control and not the greater complexity as is my feeling. So far after a decade my malkoff lights are running. My belief simpler is better in terms of outdoors gear has almost always proven true.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Somehow....someway most lights die from bricking or funky UI issues rather than physical abuse. They just go.....:poof:Seems to happen more often with more complex UIs. I wonder if the issue isn't overall quality control and not the greater complexity as is my feeling. So far after a decade my malkoff lights are running. My belief simpler is better in terms of outdoors gear has almost always proven true.

Right but Malkoff lights use higher quality drivers than most lights. So my issue with that electronically the light needs to be designed with quality in mind first. Something that is abundantly found with Malkoff.

Sure!

Just try to change the output selection that the light will turn on at BEFORE you turn on the light with an electronic multi mode light.

Yep. For anyone concerned with self defense or tactical use that would like a low mode, you pretty much have to have this option to select brightness mechanically in order to maintain single mode-type operation for "flash and dash" techniques. HDS and Surefire both have good alternatives to the high/low ringbut the high/low ring is a Malkoff staple that operator types really like for good reason. Malkoff makes great lights for us EDCers but he caters to Police and Military as well, which is why he builds his lights hammer-tough.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see you point but how do disco modes make a light less reliable. Maybe your comparing an American made product to a cheap China product that costs a tenth of the price.

It's simply a fact that the more things a device can do, the more complicated it is, the more failure modes there are. It's akin to the "jack of all trades, master of none" but with durability being the concern.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
It's simply a fact that the more things a device can do, the more complicated it is, the more failure modes there are. It's akin to the "jack of all trades, master of none" but with durability being the concern.

With most drivers there is a firmware that provides the instructions to the microprocessor to do some action. At the most basic to the most advanced there is a microprocessor involved, the settings are the firmware that runs on top of the hardware.

I don't think the "jack of all trades" theory could/should be applied here. If that were true gene would not have added high/low options, right?

Jack of all trades master of none would be like using a machete to cut a cake. Sure you can do it but not great, a little over kill. I'm sure the driver can be engineered in a way that durability will not suffer. Hell Panasonic engineered a laptop "tough book" to be a field use rugged laptop. Way more complicated than a flashlight.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

This is why I bought Malkoff stuff when I did. If he wants to do it, go for it. Me? I won't buy one, nor will I tell others "guess what Gene Malkoff started selling".

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I dunno how I feel about any of this anymore. I'm so disillusioned with my search for a "better" EDC than my "old" MD2/M61, with triad with clip (OR).....I thought a single mode MDC 123 would be "it" but now I find it to be too short/slippery to use in my habitual "tactical grip" where my thumb activates the tail switch. it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo uncomfortable compared to my old setup.

I don't believe there is a one-size-fits-all EDC light.

While my MDC 1CR123/VME/361LMH is a very easy-to-carry general purpose light suitable for any occasion, it's not the one I carry when a larger light does not present any difficulties to carry. Like you, I find the larger MD2 body easier to handle, and I'm finding that even a MD3 isn't much different to stick in a cargo pants pocket. I wear "relaxed fit" jeans and the MD3 with a pocket clip rides pretty comfortably in those too.

BTW, I find a finger lanyard makes a HUGE improvement in holding on to any flashlight, especially the MDC size lights. The lanyard keeps the light from moving in my hand while working the clicky, so I can activate the light with not much of a grip at all on it. In the photo below I can activate the light with the grip (or lack thereof) shown with it anchored to my finger via the lanyard;

mdcvme-2.jpg

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
Maybe it can have user programmable CRI. I can just set it to high and leave it there!

:thumbsup:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno how I feel about any of this anymore. I'm so disillusioned with my search for a "better" EDC than my "old" MD2/M61, with triad with clip (OR).....

I have relatively large hands. I also struggle when using compact flashlights for an extended period. For me, the 1xCR123 variety has many uses, even critical ones, but it can't be a primary light. I think that a 16650 sized light, such as the one under discussion, provides enough purchase for the grip, but is still slender enough for a lot of people to pocket comfortably.

On another note, if there is one perfect edc flashlight, I have not found it yet. I don't collect lights for collection's sake, but I do have an edc rotation.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Sure!

So I either need two hands and more time in order to "pre-select" my brightness setting, or I would have to somehow know ahead of time what brightness I would need the next time I need my light despite the fact that I don't know exactly when or where or why I will need my flashlight next...

Yep. For anyone concerned with self defense or tactical use that would like a low mode, you pretty much have to have this option to select brightness mechanically in order to maintain single mode-type operation for "flash and dash" techniques. HDS and Surefire both have good alternatives to the high/low ringbut the high/low ring is a Malkoff staple that operator types really like for good reason. Malkoff makes great lights for us EDCers but he caters to Police and Military as well, which is why he builds his lights hammer-tough.

I can see how it could be advantageous to have a physical low/high ring in order to lock one into a single output setting in order to guarantee that the light will stay in that one brightness setting no matter what you do with it. However, as soon as you begin trying to make a driver that will allow separate brightness settings in the low and high positions, you've just lost all of the advantage of the high/low ring as you've described it because there are now more than just the high and low output settings. In other words, you would still not be "locked into" a single output setting.

I have never ever needed to do any kind of "flash and dash" with a flashlight. That sounds like an extremely specific application.

A system like the HDS Rotary would allow pre-selection among multiple brightness settings, but any mechanical system like that seems like it is an extra point of possible failure, and probably would reduce the ruggedness of the light when it comes to dropping/getting knocked around, beat up.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good but why so complicated with programming. Why not something like the h17f. Would love to see this driver in a malkoff. This would give all the programming of light levels.

The above post sums it up.
That awesome driver and Dr Jones firmware is excellent, pretty much the bench mark I'd say.
I don't like the sound of programmable drivers that requires computer interface etc.
Give me the high/low twisty any day with Malkoff or fix the terrible PWM and slightly annoying mode changing on the multi mode lights and drop ins.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be delightful to buy a Malkoff; Total respect for the man and the tools. Gene could significantly expand his customer base with a programmable flashlight. If I was still doing security, the primary light would be programmed one mode at a brightness most suited to the job (indoors is different than outdoors) yet carry another (smaller) multi-mode light for basic tasks.

Those of you who have never had the option to choose each mode's brightness, sequence and number (of modes) might be pleasantly surprised at the functional utility. Those who use flashlights for work or go out at night a lot, might find their illumination tool to be natural, intuitive and not distracting for the task at hand. Others are just fine with what they have.

Hopefully one option will be 18650 or even maybe a 20mm diameter cell.

As far as the Sauron/Voldemort reference, if it does have Pulse Width Modulation, I'm sure it will not be detectable without phone cameras or Maukka, neither of which I use with a flashlight. In the case of the programmable driver PFlexPRO uses, 3 of the 4 modes I use supposedly do not use PWM. I can't tell.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd probably buy one just to check it out.

I came from multi-mode lights and hated the thought of single or dual mode lights. Then I wanted to try every neutral light Gene makes. With my time with Malkoff, I have grown to really like the dual mode lights (h/l ring). I still like my MDC's and M361N(219b) though.

I would hope for some programming options to where we can set it up exactly how we would want to use it.

*We would need instant access to any given mode

*No strobe modes please, or at least make it an option to not have to use them.

*HI-CRI*

*Neutral*

Not sure what else I would like to see. Might have to get back to you on this.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm the guy who still wants a high CRI version of everything. I didn't ask Gene about this.

I'd settle for 80 CRI, though, like the other neutrals.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
I'd probably buy one just to check it out.

I came from multi-mode lights and hated the thought of single or dual mode lights. Then I wanted to try every neutral light Gene makes. With my time with Malkoff, I have grown to really like the dual mode lights (h/l ring). I still like my MDC's and M361N(219b) though.

I would hope for some programming options to where we can set it up exactly how we would want to use it.

*We would need instant access to any given mode

*No strobe modes please, or at least make it an option to not have to use them.

*HI-CRI*

*Neutral*

Not sure what else I would like to see. Might have to get back to you on this.

Typically with programmable drivers your not forced to go through all modes in a linear fashion.

I have an h17f driver in a convoy S2+. This driver allows multiple mode groups.

Mode group 1: my edc config
1/70/200 lumens. If I double tap the tail switch I go to max output of 1200 lumens. This has short cycle memory.

Mode group 2: my outdoor config
150/1200 lumens. Double tap to strobe. No memory.

To change mode groups I would tap 8 times to enter config and then tap 2 times.

This is very useful for my daily needs. If I find a brightness level too much or not enough I can change the brightness in the programming to any of the 24 outputs. 8 taps to config and then 3 taps then the light will ramp up, tap for desired brightness and your done.

Single Mode operation:
You can lock the light in the programming (8 taps, then 1 tap) to single mode.

If your looking for instant access for any given mode that can be accomplished on an ArmyTek prime using the shortcuts in the UI similar to Zebralight.

Latest posts