Malkoff Devices--User Programmable Flashlight

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me as someone with zero interest in anything "programmable."

A high-low bezel switch with user-interchangeable resistors would be awesome.

-Perfect "programmability" for lights like these... if the ring were backwards compatible with previous high-low ring Malkoffs, this would be an instant classic.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I saw the acronym "USB" it sent a shiver down my spine. The thought of a Malkoff with a USB port on it worries me. It's a really vunerable site for water and dust, and unless Gene makes his own, a likely failure point.
P

Strintguy

Enlightened
My initial impulse was "no," but after thinking about my OR V5 drop in, it made me reconsider the possibilities...

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Simple, effective, durable & dependable - that's what makes a Malkoff light. Save the 14 different SOS strobe and "moonlight" settings for hobby toys.

Just my $0.02

malkoff-10.jpg

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, the Malkoff Hi/Lo user interface is the most advanced because it allows the user to select brightness level BEFORE turning the light on. That is the beauty of it.

These other types require the light to be on first, and then cycle thru various selections.

It should be noted that any programmed cycle will encounter circumstances which the preprogrammed turn-on level will not be what is wanted.

For a multi-mode, it might work out that a tight head is always High, and a loose head comes on Low and allows click-thru mode cycle on the loose head. That would allow the regular Hi/Lo to remain, but allow mode cycling from the Low mode.

Just some thoughts.

I am okay with a USB recharge port if it is protected and robust. I trust Gene to know how to make it that way.

I have 5 Malkoff lights, and they all have Hi/Lo rings. If I need a moonlight mode or a 10 lumen mode, I carry a key chain light for that. Also, a key chain light is very useful for changing batteries in the main light when it's dark.

I see that these programmable lights are the rage right now, but a Malkoff Hi/Lo and a small key chain light has served very well for all needs, and provides versatility that the fancy programmed lights don't provide.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my part, I hope there won't be a USB port. I was hoping for web based programming akin to the BOSS.

Though I've acquired a number of Malkoff devices, I don't currently own any of the smaller, MDC variety because none of them quite fits the bill. It would be nice to choose my preferred beam tint and output settings. I have confidence that Gene will not produce anything of lesser quality than we've all come to expect.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in, would set it up with only two modes since that is what I find acceptable for click through modes lights. Click on mode would be around 2000 lux and second mode would be max. Hoping this will be available in different configs when it comes to tint and beam shape/throw. Want something with at least 20 klux throw and in neutral white.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Why not use something like the h17f driver with lucidv2 and set it to single mode from for all the lights. That way the folks that want single mode will be happy. Then people that want programming can follow the instructions and configure their light how they like. With this driver there is no need for USB ports, I find it a weak point.

The reason that has been keeping me from purchasing a Malkoff is the support for 18350 and 18650 with programming. Closest I've come to the ideal setup is a Convoy S2+ from PflexPro.

Nichia 219c 5000k
Potted h17f driver

With this driver I can lock the light to use single mode on any brightness. This is great for my daughter who is a flashaholic in training 19 months old. I lock it to moon light.

Use the desired brightness level for 2 seconds, Eight quick presses to enter config mode. Then 1 to lock the light.

scout24

Flashaholic
I think we're discounting the possibility that Gene is just expanding his lineup, not discontinuing all currently produced lights to bring these to us... :)

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote NO.

I buy the Malkoff lights for their simplicity, durability, and customer service. Start adding fancy programming, ports to do so, and you start to lose the fundamentals of this product.

I've got other cheap lights with all of the disco modes and such. Guess what, they never get used. I've got a Hound Dog and Wildcat V6 that get used every single day.

With multi mode lights people (myself included) spend too much time clicking buttons and putzing around trying to find "just the right output". Skip that, use either low or high, and move on with the day.

The enjoyment comes from the choice of emitters, nice beam, or the fact that it still works after you drop it.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
I vote NO.

I buy the Malkoff lights for their simplicity, durability, and customer service. Start adding fancy programming, ports to do so, and you start to lose the fundamentals of this product.

I've got other cheap lights with all of the disco modes and such. Guess what, they never get used. I've got a Hound Dog and Wildcat V6 that get used every single day.

With multi mode lights people (myself included) spend too much time clicking buttons and putzing around trying to find "just the right output". Skip that, use either low or high, and move on with the day.

The enjoyment comes from the choice of emitters, nice beam, or the fact that it still works after you drop it.

I see you point but how do disco modes make a light less reliable. Maybe your comparing an American made product to a cheap China product that costs a tenth of the price.

This is my 5 cents (it's not just 2 cents because I believe it has some foundation in what I'm going to say):

Once I read a comment from Modernflame and it made me rethink my position on the news ...

Today I prefer to leave the doors open for the new one.

In this context I think it is very interesting to have a malkoff model with the possibility of defining modes and their respective intensities. All of us will only gain from this, because I am absolutely sure that the previous models will not be discontinued. I also believe this should be just one of the improvements Gene is working on.

If I had the opportunity to choose something, then I would like the programming interface to be similar to what is offered by Oveready. Wireless, no USB connection, everything programmable on the computer and passed on the flashlight / dropin by reading a code that the flashlight reads when placed in front of the user's computer monitor ...

I do not really like the way the Convoy C8 is programmed. Click sequences are a bit annoying and prone to errors.

Nothing better than having a cockpit to set everything up in your favorite flashlight.
The sense of power must be very good. haha

The guy with such a cockpit certainly feels in charge ...

Think of an on-board computer of a sports car .... A BMW M6. Imagine having to configure the sports mode without a visual interface. Boring!

I like these treats.

Another thing I like is the HIGH / LOW ring of the Malkoff lanterns. I reinforce what our friend TWL said: Being able to set up the flashlight BEFORE turning it on is an incredible differential.

If this functionality could be maintained it would be perfect!

Think with me:

1- A flashlight with up to 6 modes.

2- The possibility of setting the intensity of the flashlight when in the HIGH mode (head turned to the left) and the intensity in the LOW mode (head turned to the right).

3- The possibility to activate a moonlight mode (of configurable intensity) when (with the lantern off) the button is pressed for 2 seconds.

4- The possibility to activate a specific mode (of configurable intensity) when (with the flashlight switch off) the button is pressed twice quickly.

5- The possibility to activate a specific mode (of configurable intensity) when (with the flashlight off) the button is pressed twice quickly.

6- The possibility to activate a specific mode (of configurable intensity) when (with the flashlight off) the button is pressed three times quickly.

What if the user is in moonlight mode and turns the flashlight head? Simple: Turns on the mode that is set in that position.

I am sure that to implement something like this it is not possible to use resistors as happens with the current technology of the Malkoff flashlights.

All of these ideas are not from another world ... Zebralight has a user interface that works with options number 3, 4, 5 and 6. I even used the SC32 model user interface to suggest these ideas.

Sorry for my english.
My 5 cents...

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
You guys read my mind. This sounds amazing. I feel that user programmability is the wave of the future for high end lights. Some people want a high mode that will only get 45 minutes of runtime, but will be super bright. Some people like a moonlight mode of one lumen or less as the first output setting. Some people don't like moonlight modes, and they want a brighter output for the lowest setting. Some people want a tactical light with only a high setting. This allows the end user to tailor the brightness to their specific uses. For example, when I'm at home, I kind of like having a one lumen mode on lights for when I am trying not to disturb my significant other, or reading or any other activity where a brighter setting would cause glare or wake someone up. However, when I'm at work, I have tried and never found a good use for a one lumen mode. It simply isn't bright enough for any task I've ever needed to do at work. That means a three mode light only has two settings I can use. If the second setting is fifteen lumens, and the third setting only runs for forty five minutes and I'm performing a task that requires a few hours of work, guess what? I'm stuck using the fifteen lumen mode weather I like it or not, because one lumen isn't nearly bright enough, and forty five minutes isn't enough time for me to complete my task.

Please Gene, please make it Li-ion compatible. I would be so happy to see warm tinted high CRI and neutral high CRI versions of this.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love a programmable hi/low ring. If the driver knew the head was loosened or tightened we could select the output for high and the output for low without swapping resistors or buying a different drop in. I'm thinking a Hi/low ring that sends a signal when it's loosened and no signal when it's tightened, then the driver would be doing the mode switching instead of the ring itself.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
I would love a programmable hi/low ring. If the driver knew the head was loosened or tightened we could select the output for high and the output for low without swapping resistors or buying a different drop in. I'm thinking a Hi/low ring that sends a signal when it's loosened and no signal when it's tightened, then the driver would be doing the mode switching instead of the ring itself.

So basically like an eagtac.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Everyone keeps talking about the high/low ring. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the high/low ring a mechanical solution for achieving multiple brightness settings when the electronics are not designed to do it themselves. Much like using QTC, it functions based on resistance, which is not the most efficient way to do things.

Also, could someone explain how it is any more convenient to use the high/low switch when I need TWO hands to change the brightness setting by twisting the head on or off in order to pre-select my initial brightness, vs only one hand to press the McClicky softly once then again to bring on the higher setting? I bet anyone $1000 that I can do a rapid "double tap" to the McClicky faster and smoother than anyone can twist the head to the desired position and then activate the light.

Seems to me the high/low switch is a physical solution to the limitations of older technology. Nowadays we send E-mails or Fax or Text messages rather than the old mechanical system of using a homing pigeon. Solid state electrics are the new way in my opinion.