Malkoff M60F good for indoor search use?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
BE Bill, you know they don't like it when we post links to actual items for sale right? I am sure you found the Uniq tailcap on the Lighthound.com? If not you can just type in Uniq in their search engine and it will come up.

I will keep you posted.

I found it. I wasn't thinking about that link rule when I posted earlier. Thanks for explaining your comment.

Bill

Gene43

Enlightened
The 25 degree optic "appears" to be a 6 degree with a frosted front. I have never used a diffuser in front of the 6 degree so I really don't know how it would work.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a plastic diffuser from my Optical Engineering coworker and friend that normally goes in front of a Khatod optic. He had several he is playing with. I cut the 2 little tabs off and put it in front of my Solarforce R2 - 5 mode LED pill's reflector inside the front housing. Perfect fit, and now a wonderfully smoothed out beam that is just a little brigher in the center. I will have to try this on the various pills that I have. Very nice looking, and he says transmission loss is less than 10% which I can live with (beamshots to come later).

L2-OPTX-1-DIF8-Medium.jpg

L2® Online Data-SheetL2-OPTX-1-DIF8, Cree Diffuser Sub-Lens Features: 8°- Illumination pattern
Snap-Lock fastening sub-lens
Designed for use with L2-OPTX-1-006
26mm Diameter

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested to know if there is any current draw when the light is off. If there is none this may be a Great thing!

Well here your update to that question. The answer is yes! If you want to know how much that will be a separate question and an extra free drop in module :whistle:.

Okay I am kidding. The standby current draw when its actually "Off" is 1.0 milliamp. Not surprised. However, it is similar to the SureFire tail cap technology. Meaning, it doesn't use the threads for continuity, they are hard anodized. It only uses a flat spot on the bottom inside of the tailcap to make continuity to the flat end of the case at the end of the threads, so if you turn it that minimal amount to disconnect that portion its off and open for no current draw. The switch has no momentary function.
Its on and off, then ramp up or down with separate presses, and after letting go for a least a couple seconds, the next quick on/off press/release turns it back off. I saw the current linearly ramp up and down by holding the button down. Unfornately the light response is not linear with the current to the Human eye but it does what it is supposed to do.

I used it with the Malkoff M60F that I have and the 2 17500 cells at up to 8V range with no problem. I used it with 6V primaries no problem although it seems to have less "range" of adjustment before reaching full high or low. Should I say it goes through the swing quicker. Using lower current draw LED modules also causes it to go through its swing quicker. So it works and appears to allow the Malkoff go to full brightness as the current draw through the switch as max is the same as without it at all, in this case 600mA using the 8V worth of batteries. So I am pleased.

The 2 things I don't like are the color, it should come in the same basic black as everything else, and the fact that its wider that the SureFire and Solarforce bodies by a noticeable amount. Its thicker?

On a different note I am also very happy with the diffuser I showed in previous post over any of my narrow and ringy beam Solarforce Cree pills. Smooths them out and doesn't consume a lot of their brightness. No beamshots yet, been very busy.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If you ramp to a level that is approximately 1/2 brightness of Malkoff M60, will the Malkoff be in regulation at 1/2 brightness or is the Uniq tailcap just limiting current to the Malkoff circuit so it can not work in regulation.

Bill

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to say that the tailcap is current limiting and that the regulator of the pill itself is running direct drive or "open loop" since its the tailcap circuitry that is being adjusted. The one isn't controlling the others regulator circuit just limiting what it gets. So far it seems to be working very well. I switched back to a regular tailcap and the module seems to be working normally. Only long term use will tell if there is any real incompatibility.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the M60 to compare now to the M60F and its a little brighter, Since it has such a good beam, with a smooth transition from hot spot to spill, its going to look better to the eyes than what the camera can capture.

I haven't been able to actually take more pictures yet.

However in the meantime I got the new Malkoff triple drop and have been trying it out in my 3C, 4C, and 4D maglights.

I was able to get to the range tonight and test it during a Saturday night shooting event, in a 3 C mag light. It lights up the target way too good. And it makes for a very nice platform under the Glock. Afterwards I was doing some tests and compared it in pitch black darkness to my other lights where I could take the time to look at the entire beam pattern. Its basically 3 times as bright with much better spill. There will be no comparison if I take the picture at the same exposure level as those shown here in the previous pics.

One of the young guys wanted to see just how blinding it was. With all the range lights on, he went down range about 45 feet from where I was and asked me to hit him with the beam. One quick flash and he was blinded and seeing spots. He immediately reacted and had to turn away. He said he could not see to focus on the sights of a handgun to shoot in the direction of the light due to the spots in his eyes, that was 45 feet away for a brief moment to eyes that were already accustomed to the lights being on.

So I talked to a couple of my shooting buddies about helping me get better photos of real people holding various things across the range while I take the pics. They were not interested.

I will still get some more pics in a week or 2.

More to come.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to start a new thread with a bunch of photos in the backyard and comparing various 200 lumen lights to the new Malkoff Triple Drop which I really like and consider very useable.

Link here.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2602155#post2602155

Bloodnut I did get some color posters that I found would not have a lot of glare at a local shooting range, so I bought 6 and set up 5 on posterboard and went to work. I think you are going to like the comparative results. G

Big Bad

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a Malkoff M60F, but I do have a Malkoff M60 and a Lumapower DX-1 P7. The P7 blows the standard Malkoff away for sheer wall of light see the whole room splendor, but it's also a much bigger light than a 6P. I really doubt the M60F will out shine the P7, but you also the P7's are not carry size in my opinion. My P7 is a bedside light and would work well for a duty light, but I carry a 6P with Malkoff M60 out in the every day world.

Curious how a M60 with diffuser would compare to a M60F?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60 with a diffuser basically becomes the M60F as the optic that is part of the M60F has its own diffuser built in.

The P7 is a different class of light, drawing 3 times the current as an individual M60 or M60F. It is 4 LED Dice in parallel on one substrate, and yeah its handy, but have to run it with a much better power source to be considered seriously useable. Otherwise its just short pulse on and off.