Malkoff M61LLL 219

Tracker II

Enlightened
Report #2 - 24 hours in. The M61LLL 219 has clearly fallen out of regulation but is still relatively bright. I might add that I'm using Energizer primaries. I've never done anything like this before so I'm really curious as to how much more drop-off there is before bedtime. Off to dinner now.

Tracker II

Enlightened
Report #3 - 36 hours in. The M61LLL 219 has had a significant drop in output. I'm not a lumen expert so the only thing I can say is that, while tailstanding, it provides enough output to allow a person to "take care of business" while in an interior bathroom with no ambient light. You could very easily navigate your house in the dark with it also. That being said, the output is significantly lower than the lowest level of my M361N-LMH while on the L of the H/L ring (using an 18650 battery).

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Report #3 - 36 hours in. The M61LLL 219 has had a significant drop in output. I'm not a lumen expert so the only thing I can say is that, while tailstanding, it provides enough output to allow a person to "take care of business" while in an interior bathroom with no ambient light. You could very easily navigate your house in the dark with it also. That being said, the output is significantly lower than the lowest level of my M361N-LMH while on the L of the H/L ring (using an 18650 battery).

This is with 2 CR123A primaries? I know you said Energizers, but I wasn't sure if we were talking AAs or CR123As.

Tracker II

Enlightened
Yah, 2 CR123A Energizer primaries. Unfortunately, I did not test them before putting them in. They were purchased from BatteryJunction about 4 months ago.

Tracker II

Enlightened
Here I posted my runtime test of M61LLL 219.

Hey Swedpat, where were you a day and a half ago, ha ha. Anyway, the light pretty much crapped out after 39 hours. The emitter was still glowing but not enough to be of any use. Even though I seem to have reinvented the wheel, I'm glad I went through this exercise because doing the experiment gave me a better feel for how this light performs more than reading about it ever could.

I think my next test will be on the M361-HML but that is a topic for another thread.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Swedpat, where were you a day and a half ago, ha ha. Anyway, the light pretty much crapped out after 39 hours. The emitter was still glowing but not enough to be of any use. Even though I seem to have reinvented the wheel, I'm glad I went through this exercise because doing the experiment gave me a better feel for how this light performs more than reading about it ever could.

I think my next test will be on the M361-HML but that is a topic for another thread.

Hi Tracker II!

I stopped my test when the brightness was maybe 2-3lm or so, nice you continued even longer time. This shows that also these Malkoffs are "battery vampires" and makes it possible to use the light with practically dead batteries.
With dark adapted eyes even a fraction of a lumen shines up an entire room, which can be valuable in some case of emergency. I have two lights with a lowest setting of 0,2lm(4Sevens Quark 123 and 2AA) but actually would like to have some light with much lower brightness than that.

I am looking forward to your test of M361-HML, actually later I am planning to get M361N-LMH.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Necro bump,

M61 LLL 219 is one of my favorites, long runtime. Not sure what to think about the tint, it's better than blue but not as good as "warm". I think I like regular tints better and you get a few more lumens.

the light for the end of the world. Put in a 2x18650 body or 3xAA even and it will run forever.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have one of these beauties in the mail to me as we speak. No clue what I'm going to put it in but can't wait to see what kind of runtime I get.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 219LLL is one of my favorites, great output level! Perfect "it's totally dark" light, particularly good with a H/L switch. Can't wait for my second. I need an MD2 body or two for these. 6 Dropins and no bodies to go with.... yikes!

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
I'm also waiting on one of these. Been looking forward to getting one for a while. They got bumped up to 60lms from V2's 50lm.

Plan on using it in a Oveready P20 body.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a V3 coming from Illumn, can't wait to compare it to my others, I'll have to check my LLL inventory.

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
Are the specks out?

yep. Looks like a slight increase of output across the range.

M61LLL219V3

The input voltage is 3.4- 9 volts. Below 3.4 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive. The output is 60 measured out the front lumens. The current draw is 125mA at 6 volts.

After I saw the specs I grabbed the last LL.

M61LL219V3

The input voltage is 3.4- 9 volts. Below 3.4 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive. The output is 70 measured out the front lumens. The current draw is 160mA at 6 volts.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
First thing I'm doing with mine is sticking it in a MD4 with a couple of 18650's and see what the runtime is. Depending on what I see it might be part of my get home bag.a MD3 would probably be a better choice as I could run 3 primaries 2 18500 and in a pinch 2AA

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My V3 arrived today. I think I'll put it in a Z3 for now.

ETA. Initial impressions are very favorable, it really brings out the richness in colors.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I was saving my Z3 for my new M91B 5000k I have coming in but after seeing the runtime off of 3 primaries I'm thinking something else is going in there.

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
My V3 arrived today. I think I'll put it in a Z3 for now.

ETA. Initial impressions are very favorable, it really brings out the richness in colors.

I agree. The tint is really nice and it seems like it might be a bit less floody than V2. Using mine with a single 18350.

rjking

Enlightened
Does anyone know if this is "reverse polarity protected"? My original Illimn M61 219 pfffd when I inadvertently inserted a flat top 18650 in reverse.