Malkoff M61LLL 219

rjking

Enlightened
Malkoff MDC AA is also not protected against reverse polarity.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So wait. Are you saying that "some" of genes m31-M61-M91 are NOT reverse protected ? I think his older ones M60 had that issue but I was under the impression that all now except the 1XAA Were good to go?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Most of my dropins are not currently in production, and some of those older drivers lacked reverse polarity protection.

As for dropins and other light engines now available, on the Malkoff website, I only see the phrase "protected against reverse polarity" listed on "higher" voltage models.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Wow.Learn something new every day. I'll have to do some more research into this. Thanks arch.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only been a Malkoff customer since 2016, so I don't know about historical or discontinued items. Last year, I asked Gene about this issue and he said that the 1AA MDC is the only current model that is not protected against reverse polarity.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've only been a Malkoff customer since 2016, so I don't know about historical or discontinued items. Last year, I asked Gene about this issue and he said that the 1AA MDC is the only current model that is not protected against reverse polarity.

Does he include the "dealer exclusives" and "group buys" in that list ?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya. His AA not having this is why I think I don't have one yet.im fully capable of making a mistake "don't tell my children this". But I tend to loan AA lights out to my kids and friends and I could SO see something bad happening.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
All I know is that it's 430 here in the mail still hasn't arrived! I want my Malkoff!!!!!!!

rjking

Enlightened
I think most of the early batch of Malkoff 219's are not protected. But this latest iteration doesn't indicate that.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well my new M61LLL 219 just arrived and I'm not going to test for it😁 although I'm pretty sure it is protected. What I am testing is how long she will go on 2X18650/3500's. I'll let you guys know. But oh my the tint is great. It's a fantastic looking beam.

scout24

Flashaholic
I own a pair of "12P" Fivemega bodies that rotate as hosts for dropins capable of 2x18650 voltage. Reading this, I put my M61LL 219B into a Z44 head, popped a twisty tailcap on, and put on my nightstand. Many many hours of runtime if needed... Not a fancy new LLL like all you guys are running, but it'll do... ;)

rjking

Enlightened
Where is it indicated ?

It used to be indicated on the product page in Illumn but I checked my order history and its no longer there. I bought an M61 Nichia 219 and M61L Nichia 219 way back aound March- Aprl 2013 but one got busted.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Evening, Gents. Gene Malkoff confirms that everything currently being produced, including the group buys and dealer exclusives, are protected against reverse polarity except for the 1AA MDC. I'd like to add that Mr. Malkoff responded to a business email late in the evening on Saturday. I don't know of any other manufacturer, whether in this industry or any other, that takes such care to respond to customer concerns.

Thanks, Gene!