Malkoff M61W

Max_Power

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing your experience!

I am waiting for a M61WL and according to your description of the tint I think I will like it. But I become very surprised about one of your modules and have hard to believe anything other than it's faulty.
I have two MD2s, one with M60 and the other with M61. I would say there is NO likeness between these beams (except from both are brightest in the center)...
Also, with the precision made reflectors and the centered LEDs it SHOULD be impossible to get that much different beam profiles and especially not similar to M60! :confused:

Regards, Patric

Beam shaping:
I think the shape of the hotspot and its taper to flood is surprisingly similar to the M60 on all 3 M61 samples, considering how large the emitter surface area is on the XPG. The angular size of the hotspot is about 60% larger than the M30W, but this is balanced by the brightness increase of 50%, so it's almost the same brightness but over a larger area, with more runtime. Win/Win!

At longer range (100+ feet) the difference in throw starts to become noticeable, but the larger area being lit is also quite apparent. I don't use these modules for ranges beyond 20 feet very often. It _is_ fun to light up reflectors and street signs a block away.

Efficiency:
There's a substantial reduction in heat output. It would be tempting to put the M61 series in a G2 or VME head.

Tint:
One of my M61 samples has a bit more red (slightly pinkish.) That one is my favorite of the 3 M61s. But I still prefer the warm white wildcat and M30W, M60WF for EDC. The richer color rendition is much more pleasing.

So, as is usually the case, the latest and greatest is not beating the older stuff on every front. But it certainly does have noticeable advantages.

Last edited:

mwaldron

Enlightened
I got to play with the M61W last night and compare it to my M60W and M60WL.

It's exactly what they advertised, a neutral tint M61. It's considerably brighter than my M60W, about the same hotspot (perhaps a slight bit brighter) with a lot more spill. It's also considerably colder. It's a pure white beam without a hint of blue, green, yellow or red. I would say it's exactly as advertised, a true neutral tint.

It's not a replacement for the M60W. There is nothing even remotely warm about it. I took it outside last night and Browns, Reds, and even Greens look pretty much as crappy as they do under any other typical cold led.

I was surprised to find that the M61W does have an impressive hotspot for being inside a reflector, nearly equal to the M60W optic. The additional brightness is mostly relegated into the spill which most will find an attractive addition.

I was always skeptical that the M61W wouldn't be able to replace the M60, and indeed I'm glad I do have my M60W and M60WL. I don't need many laser sharp beams but I do use them.

The M61W is an entirely different product that really shares very little with either the M60 or the W it derives it's name from.

I'll probably hang onto this M61W, but I'm not really sure what use I'll have for it. It's my opinion that it's too bright for use indoors and too cold for use outside.

mitro

Newly Enlightened
I picked one up and I have to admit, I was expecting it to be warmer. Comparing it to my 4500K MG P-Rocket, the M61 is slightly cooler. I'm not complaining though. Its as close to true neutral as I can imagine and thats what I've been looking for for a while. :)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is hard to tell but to me the M61W has a more defined hotspot and does not seem as floody as the M61.

Brian

That doesn't make sense. The die shape is the same and the reflector is the same. Is it possible that your emitter isn't positioned properly in one of the units?

--flatline

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam shaping:
I think the shape of the hotspot and its taper to flood is surprisingly similar to the M60 on all 3 M61 samples, considering how large the emitter surface area is on the XPG. The angular size of the hotspot is about 60% larger than the M30W, but this is balanced by the brightness increase of 50%, so it's almost the same brightness but over a larger area, with more runtime. Win/Win!

At longer range (100+ feet) the difference in throw starts to become noticeable, but the larger area being lit is also quite apparent. I don't use these modules for ranges beyond 20 feet very often. It _is_ fun to light up reflectors and street signs a block away.

Efficiency:
There's a substantial reduction in heat output. It would be tempting to put the M61 series in a G2 or VME head.

Tint:
One of my M61 samples has a bit more red (slightly pinkish.) That one is my favorite of the 3 M61s. But I still prefer the warm white wildcat and M30W, M60WF for EDC. The richer color rendition is much more pleasing.

So, as is usually the case, the latest and greatest is not beating the older stuff on every front. But it certainly does have noticeable advantages.

When I compare them again I THINK I understand what you mean about hotspot and its taper to flood. But outside that area I cannot see much likeness.

Well, it will be very interesting to see M61LL and M61WL, especially the tint of the warm, which according to some user here isn't at all warm, but rather neutral. You mention G2. I now use M61LL in a yellow G2 and love it! Therefore I am tempted to get G2s for these new M61s as well. Otherwise I will use a black 6P for M61LL and a Gun Metal grey 6P for M61WL. Decisions, decisions...:sssh:

Regards, Patric

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree that the M61W isn't nearly as warm as the M60W or M60WL.I wouldn't say it is cool though,it still appears warm against my Fenix P2D(CREE) and more so next to my NC Extreme GD.The "neutral" description fits it very well.Keep in mind I only have the 3 Malkoffs for comparison but others seem to be getting the same thing.I am keeping the M61W but it won't be the "go to" outdoor light like the M60W and M60WL.Will probably hold off on any more M61Ws unless they go to a warmer led,maybe a true warm XPG.

tygger

Enlightened
Just ordered an M61WL for my G2. Should be the perfect all arounder. Of course I'll have to snatch up an M61WLL should it become available.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
Same here, just purchased the M61WL, and intend on dropping it in my all Nitrolon orange G2 for camping. Now just need a black G2 body, and tailcap to go with the M61, and Z44 bezel that I currently have mounted on the orange body.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Just got my M61WL, definitely a neutral white, warmer than M61, but cooler than M60W's. Still, it is nice!!!

I just popped a fresh 18650 AW 2600, gonna let her run till she dies. :)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Just hit the 3.5 hour mark, and the M61WL is running cool as a cucumber.

Heres some cell phone beam shots.

Now keep in mind the M61WL is against 2 full powered drop ins. the M60W and M61.

From L to R, M60W, M61WL, M61
utf-8BSU1HMDE5MTgtMjAxMDA3MjMtMjEwMi5qcGc.jpg

M61WL, M61
utf-8BSU1HMDE5MTktMjAxMDA3MjMtMjEwMy5qcGc.jpg

M60W, M61WL
utf-8BSU1HMDE5MjAtMjAxMDA3MjMtMjEwMy5qcGc.jpg

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Just hit the 6 hour mark, no noticeable dimming. The light isnt even warm, incredible. :)

I thought it would have died by now. I'm ready for bed, we'll see who lasts longer. :laughing:

tygger

Enlightened
Excellent. Thanks PSM. Good to know it will be totally fine in my G2. Interesting how context makes such a difference, slightly warm next to the M61 and slightly cool next to the M60W. True neutral as others have said.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
OK, right at the 8 hour mark, the M61WL light dropped down to a mode about as bright as low on a Md2. Glad to know this wont leave ya in the dark on a 18650!!!

8 hours full brightness, I am more than satisfied!!! The advertised run time on 2 x 123 is 5 hours. :)

Now to see how long this low mode lasts until the 18650 protection kicks in. :grin2:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
9 hours and 10 minutes, it went kaput!!

So after it drops from regulation, you have an just over an hour of low mode lighting, enough to get ya home!!!

This was on a AW Black 2600mah 18650.

8 hours of regulation, followed by 70 minutes of low level light, maybe 10 lumens.

The M61WL is one hell of a dropin IMO!!! :rock: