Malkoff M61W

qandeel

Newly Enlightened
Now to see how long this low mode lasts until the 18650 protection kicks in. :grin2:

9 hours and 10 minutes, it went kaput!!

This is an interesting test.

From my reading in this forum I always thought that if the protection circuit of a protected Li-Ion battery kicks in then you loose your battery and can't be recharged. Is this true?? :confused:

Many Thanks

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Protection circuit is there to protect your LiIon. Good cells such as AW's when put back on the charger for a few minutes, or less, will bounce back up to around 3.6 volts or so, and will charge back up to 4.2 volts or so, and be perfectly fine.

Bill

qandeel

Newly Enlightened
Bill

Thanks for your reply.

So this means I can use my AW Li-Ion battery until it shuts down without worrying about losing it?

This really helps

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The protection circuit should be thought of as an emergency use only device. They can wear out if tripped too often, so it's usually a better idea to recharge before the battery gets to that point.

qandeel

Newly Enlightened
This is good information for me. Thank you guys lovecpf

The protection circuit should be thought of as an emergency use only device. They can wear out if tripped too often, so it's usually a better idea to recharge before the battery gets to that point.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curse you guys... I have a Surefire G2(with a LED drop-in) sitting around doing nothing.(probably needs new batteries too:reminds me why I don't like CR123 batteries..)

A Malkoff M61W would be quite nice. Eeek...!!

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The true white neutral tint with no funny shades will definitely be a hit with the M61W series. Maybe Gene should have named them M61N's. My next M61 will be a warm version. I really like the older M60W type drop ins too, especially with the flood optic. I wish Gene would continue to offer them. Anyway, the M61W is nice.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The true white neutral tint with no funny shades will definitely be a hit with the M61W series. Maybe Gene should have named them M61N's. My next M61 will be a warm version. I really like the older M60W type drop ins too, especially with the flood optic. I wish Gene would continue to offer them. Anyway, the M61W is nice.

Based on my example, I agree M61N would be a good designation instead of the W. +1 on the older optic M60W I really like it as well.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I am yet again impressed with the actual runtime demonstrated here.

I've been paying attention to Malkoff M-series dropins for a while and it seems to me that he tends to underrate runtimes from his modules - maybe his stated runtimes are the minimum that can be expected? I know that I've seen runtime tests here on CPF that significantly exceed what he states for some of his products in the past.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this trend continues, with his M61 line demonstrating superior runtimes compared to competing modules of similar OTF outputs. :thumbsup:

Edit: Remember this? (OT warning, just wanted to add some supporting evidence)
  • SF P60LED: 80-65 measured OTF lumens for 2.5 hrs on 2xCR123, declining thereafter.
  • M60L: 140 (constant) emitter lumens for ~4 hrs IIRC
  • M60LL: 70 (constant) emitter lumens for up to 18 hrs tested by BigWaffles

Last edited:

scot

Newly Enlightened
I've done some run time tests on the M61 and M61L in my MD3 and MD4. AW batteries for both, 2600mah in the 18650's. All batteries have had only moderate use, maybe 10-15 cycles. Ran each light until protection circuit kicked in and shut the slight off.

MD3
M61L went 290 minutes
M61 went 165 minutes

MD4
M61L went 495 minutes
M61 went 297 minutes

Interesting. I wonder what the lumens were at the 4, 5, and 6 hour mark on policescannerman's test with a single cell.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Interesting. I wonder what the lumens were at the 4, 5, and 6 hour mark on policescannerman's test with a single cell.

Purchase an inexpensive lux meter, and you can plot the runtime/output at different times during the run. Check every 15 minutes or so, and write down the lux numbers using bounce with your lux meter. Been doing that for several years, and it is a real eye opener. Your eyes will not notice the difference in output as the light drops 10,20, 30, 40% or so. You can compare your lights to each other and come up with some comparative output numbers, and quesstimate lumens.

Bill

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Not sure, I noticed no noticeable dimming until it dropped into that 10 lumen moon mode. But over 8 hours it would be hard to notice I guess.

It was a very useable beam through out, right at the 7 hour mark I took my dogs out before bed, I had no problems shining to the back of my yard, which is about 175-200 feet.

Also, keep in mind, I shut it off and started the next morning.

8 hours with just over an hour of low mode is what I got though!! :twothumbs

scot

Newly Enlightened
Pretty amazing. Love my MD2's and 18650's. A lot to be said for running one 18650 and getting long runtime with slowly diminishing output as opposed to no dimming then suddenly light goes off... surprise!!!

Cesiumsponge

Newly Enlightened
Do these get replenished on the website in small increments very often? Looks like they're sold out, but going through this thread, it looks like "restocked, sold out, restocked, sold out, etc".

Hope there are more coming because I want to do something with this crusty old G2. I've had an M60LF in it for quite some time and gave it away as a gift since I was looking for something brighter but never got around to getting a substitute.

non

Newly Enlightened
Sign up for the notification and check the site occasionally and you'll get lucky most likely.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty amazing. Love my MD2's and 18650's. A lot to be said for running one 18650 and getting long runtime with slowly diminishing output as opposed to no dimming then suddenly light goes off... surprise!!!

My favorite module has been Malkoff M60L on 1x18650 - get about 4 hours of 120 lumens. But this one, M61L seems to be better in all ways, except maybe lacking a little throw.

I almost always use unprotected 18650's, high capacity 2900 mAh Panasonic. Longer runtime than AW's cells with 2600 mAh. The unprotected part shouldn't worry you in single-celled lites as when it drops to about 3V, you can really visually see that you are not getting the full-output. I usually swap them way before they get in the overdischarge danger zone.

Therefore I wonder if it should even better runtime with unprotected 2900 mAh 18650 cells.