Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Yes, I'd buy several.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • No, I happy with the round heads.

Votes: 25 40.3%

• Total voters

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
So last night we had a little tremor, 3.6 magnitude and we are only 6 miles from the epicentre, I had a few flashlight stood on their bezels on the coffee table so decided to lay them down in case of aftershocks, my only malkoff on the table was the only one that rolled across it!

I'm still hoping that Gene produces an anti-roll head for these.

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
I could do a small run of anti-roll heads if Gene doesn't make them. Probably start with some HEX stock and bore out the same inner dimensions as the Malkoff head.

A hex head would also have more mass and thus more thermal inertia to run longer without feeling as hot.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could do a small run of anti-roll heads if Gene doesn't make them. Probably start with some HEX stock and bore out the same inner dimensions as the Malkoff head.

A hex head would also have more mass and thus more thermal inertia to run longer without feeling as hot.

:twothumbs

StagMoose

Enlightened
Hex would be nice! As much as I love the tri-tail for larger lights, I prefer the slimmer profile of the standard tail cap and its ease of sliding into a belt holster when going out into the wild. You don't always need to carry a large light in your hand. Some holsters accommodate the tri, most don't.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great flashlights, poor design of a (IMO) necessary part. In the case of the HDS pocket clip, well, the multiple, over-the-years, changes to the clip and its implementation speaks volumes. The Malkoff tri tail cap is (again, IMO) simply unwieldy.

It's very clear that both items were simply afterthoughts to the original flashlights. While the Malkoff tri tail cap has had a somewhat better "in general" reception, both still generate much discussion about effectively doing what they were designed to do.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Round lights deploy quicker from holsters. Bezel up/bezel down. Gene designed the MD lights for quick deploy not laying on a table. It's also why the knurling is so shallow. When split seconds matter the difference is remarkable.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Round lights deploy quicker from holsters. Bezel up/bezel down. Gene designed the MD lights for quick deploy not laying on a table. It's also why the knurling is so shallow. When split seconds matter the difference is remarkable.

A hexagonal ring around the bezel , like the Surefire Z44, will have no difference in deployment time but it means you can put the flashlight on a flatter surface when you need both hand without fear of it rolling away.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Aesthetically I'm not sure a MD2 or 3 or 4 for that matter would work. Look more like a 6P. Great lights but seen enough of them for a lifetime.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm just thinking out loud here, but what about a simple "hex ring" with several set screws to clamp it to the bezel ?

Sure, it might scratch up the finish, but functionally ... so what ?

Probably cheaper than making a whole new bezel, and could be installed and removed as desired. Sort of like the old GG&G TID bezel rings ?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like the Elzetta approach where shallow grooves about 3mm wide at both ends create flat spots without creating snag points.

39A02531-7381-47DA-9734-D178E511CC17.jpg