Malkoff MDC 2xAA review

Mgizler

Enlightened
doesn't that scrape your phone..? also there is a pocket clip for the HDS, it's a lumintop or something like that clip that fits, no..?

It really doesn't. The phone sits next to the light. And they really don't touch other then on the side of the phone. I don't care for the hds clip they offer. Im not aware of another clip that works. But I would love to know.

fulee9999

Enlightened
It really doesn't. The phone sits next to the light. And they really don't touch other then on the side of the phone. I don't care for the hds clip they offer. Im not aware of another clip that works. But I would love to know.

a-ha, I saw it here:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops fit really well. Not loose inside which scores points for me, I hate noisy batteries that are loose

I found Malkoff bodies will crush Eneloops in both the 1AA and 2AA, but this is with incan Elite heads (which may or may not matter).

Do all the Eneloops you've used in it have slightly crushed buttons?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came to realize I don't like multiple modes in the MDC-AA.

When the batteries are low, the modes do not function they way they are supposed to. You only get two modes, the low appears to come on second after high and is barely visible. The 2 modes that are visible appear to be identical, there is no high or low.

I wish it was just a plain one mode, click on and click off without any special features. Pick a number like 60 lumens or 120 and stick with it.

caelyx

Newly Enlightened

[…]

I wish it was just a plain one mode, click on and click off without any special features. Pick a number like 60 lumens or 120 and stick with it.

FWIW, I use a VME head (with an M31L 219b) on a 1xCR123 body to achieve that outcome - close-to-MDC size, single-level light. It's one of my favourite lights.

Kayaker530

Newly Enlightened
We bought both the Malkoff 1-AA and 2-AA lights. We also have several of the MD2 M61 variations. It is my guess that Gene knows a lot of nurses and that is who he designed the 1-AA light for. The low mode is low enough to be eye safe and check pupil response, the medium mode is enough to do administrative tasks at night. High can be staged to come on when you are going to and from work. And it is built so that you can use it as a force multiplier. And it is simply a light that you are actually required to have for work.

The 2-AA light: We really like the output spacing. It is one that we both frequently grab for tasks at the house. It is a bit big for EDC but it is one that we both use or grab for.

mtrunner

Newly Enlightened
We bought both the Malkoff 1-AA and 2-AA lights. We also have several of the MD2 M61 variations. It is my guess that Gene knows a lot of nurses and that is who he designed the 1-AA light for. The low mode is low enough to be eye safe and check pupil response, the medium mode is enough to do administrative tasks at night. High can be staged to come on when you are going to and from work. And it is built so that you can use it as a force multiplier. And it is simply a light that you are actually required to have for work.

The 2-AA light: We really like the output spacing. It is one that we both frequently grab for tasks at the house. It is a bit big for EDC but it is one that we both use or grab for.
Which tint do you prefer?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

When the batteries are low, the modes do not function they way they are supposed to. You only get two modes, the low appears to come on second after high and is barely visible. The 2 modes that are visible appear to be identical, there is no high or low.

Never mind the above. I think two modes are great. 5 lumen low and 200-300 lumen high. The intermediate mode is redundant.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We like the 4000k Neutral tint. I bought that for her 1AA light for the 95 CRI due to her RN work. In the Malkoff lights that we have, when we can choose tint that is the one that we both prefer.
I just ordered a 1aa body for my older version 1aa head. It was left from a lego set I sold back to the op I bought it from prior to the pandemic. Nichia I believe. Pretty sure it was pre-SST Malkoff's. It may have been a group buy version because it looks fairly warm when mounted to my Klarus P1a. Hard to remember though.

Last edited: