Malkoff P7 C&D Mag Drop-ins!

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im thinking about getting one of these for a 2d when they are available. Do you guys replace the stock lens and reflector with something better? I thought about the 2 18650 option any other suggestions? Will a123's fit in a 2d?

2 A123 M1 cells should fit in a 2D. They are a bit longer than a D cell. You may want to use a shorter spring.

They require a sleeve. I cut 1" pvc sections the same length as the cells and bored them on a lathe. Fits nicely.

I've heard that slicing 1" pvc lengthwise works as well, it is just a bit too small on the id.

By the time I stacked 6 of them it doesn't quite fit in a 6D even with no spring at all. Need an extension on that setup.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I received Malkoff P7 dropin for my old Maglite 6D which has been standing unused several years. Fast delivering, sended the order july 29 and received in 5 days to Sweden.
It's my third Malkoff dropin for me, the other are a 2-3D dropin for my 3D and a 4-6C dropin for my 2C (used with 3xCR123 cells)
Actually until now I have ordered totally 5 dropins; 2 pieces for friends. One was a gift to a friend who bought a Maglite 2D some years ago, you can guess it was an improvement compared to the standard crypton bulb. The other I ordered for a friend who has an old 3D. The same here; a great improvement...

When I had finished the easy installation of P7 dropin to my 6D, changed to the pre-cut reflector and placed the six 12000mAh NiMh cells I pressed on the button. I was not surprised, and not either dissapointed because I knew the claimed lumen values. This thing is BRIGHT, of course it's superflous to state that it's CONSIDERABLY brighter than 3D with Malkoff 2-3D dropin. When compared to my Fenix lights I estimated the spillbeam intensity to be quite comparable to PD20 at turbomode, and likely also TK10. That is bright taking in consider the total beam area is around 3 times larger.

Well; everything is relative and some folks used to HID lights maybe would not be very impressed. But now I feel I can justify carrying a flashlight of that size and weight of the 6D. Also I will have a respectable runtime.

Malkoff dropins are top-notch products and I am very satisfied with all of them.

I will later post a few beam shots and some measured brightness values.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I made some ceiling bounce measurings with my lightmeter.
The result was quite surprising. Estimated with my eyes I had guessed that P7 LED was nearly 3 times brighter than Fenix TK10. The result is that it's close to exactly twice as bright than TK10 and close to 2,5 times brighter than Malkoff 2-3D dropin with 3D.

It's well known that the human eye usually perceive a brightness difference as less than the actual. In this case it was the opposite.
One explanation surely is that Malkoff P7 provides a colder (appeared as whiter) tint than as well TK10 and 2-3D dropin. On the basis of my own experiences I also use to perceive a colder tinted light as brighter than a warmer tinted though the same actual brightness.

Anyway the Malkoff P7/Maglite 6D is around 2-3 times brighter than standard 6D depending of the choice of incan bulb.
The beam is very even illuminated and I would describe the beam as a wall of light with decent throw. Only true drawback is that the hotspot will show some unevenesses, or a dark hole in the center, depending of the focus setting.
But I know this problem shall be solved with a textured reflector.

Regards, Patric

Last edited: