Malkoff P7 C&D Mag Drop-ins!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put mine in my Maglite 6D. I like it, almost too much flood? I'll try to borrow a camera to take some pictures.

Does anyone have a "DIRECT" link to a place I can buy an aspherical lens? Do I need anything else besides the lens to make it work?

All of the links in the previous thread are broken.

I found this one,

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1753

Would that work?

I think you're not taking into account that a P7 light footprint is four times that of any single-die emitter. What you see isn't necessarily flood as much as it's a hotspot that's four times the size of what you'd see with a P4. If you use the stock smooth reflector and adjust it for optimum focus (you'll have a donut hole in the beam of course) that you'll notice it throws quite far. And yeah, using a P7 with an aspherical lens gives unpleasant looking results.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Hi folk,

I received the Malkoff P7 Drop-in (Mag D) and killed the LED after first switch on :banghead::banghead::hairpull:. :stupid:

The 14V power of 9 AA primary batteries (fiemega´s 9AA battery holder) destroyed the P7 immediately.
Next time I will use 9AA rechargeable NIMH batteries with ca. 11,5V. Now I will gauging it before. Are 8AA better?

Now I am on the way to repair the drop in. I think this rescue effort is the trouble worth because all other parts of the valuable drop-in shoult be ok.
But I need your help to buy the right components. I never modded a flashlight before.:help:

*) Do the driver unit survived the breakdown?

*) What sort of P7 >bin code< shall I take?
(CSWOI,CSXOI,DSWOJ...?)

*) Is the little metal plate under the P7 added from Gene or a original
part of the Soul P7?

Thank you very much for your help!
Greetings

9 fully charged NiMh AA could be 13 volts off the charger. Let them settle down for awhile and it would be safer. Use 8 and you won't have to worry.

Bill

redbird

Enlightened
I was fortunate to find on of these in stock to put in my Fivemega mod running on 2-18650. I was wondering if anyone has this running on the same batteries. If so, how long is your run time and how is the output?

Skidmark6

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody tried a smooth reflector?

I am using the D size P7 dropin with a smooth reflector. The throw is ugly.

I am not impressed with the light considering the cost. It is bright, but from 50-75 yards, it is not significantly brighter than my generic Q5 running on 6V. I got the 9AA to 3D adapter from fivemega (its a nice piece of work and well worth the $39 pricetag) and a set of eneloop batteries. The P7 is significantly brighter than the P4 Malkoff dropin and that is known to throw a beam, but I cant justify the price considering how it only marginally outshines a $20 Q5. I have an aspheric lens on the way, maybe that will make this thing worth playing with. Also bought the crenalated bezel from Malkoff, its nice, again, not sure if its worth the price, and I dont think it will fully protect an aspheric lens.

RunningDave

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff P7 mag is not too pretty with the smooth reflector. There's a hole in the beam. The stippled reflector fixed all that though.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I am not impressed with the light considering the cost. It is bright, but from 50-75 yards, it is not significantly brighter than my generic Q5 running on 6V. I got the 9AA to 3D adapter from fivemega (its a nice piece of work and well worth the $39 pricetag) and a set of eneloop batteries. The P7 is significantly brighter than the P4 Malkoff dropin and that is known to throw a beam, but I cant justify the price considering how it only marginally outshines a $20 Q5. I have an aspheric lens on the way, maybe that will make this thing worth playing with. Also bought the crenalated bezel from Malkoff, its nice, again, not sure if its worth the price, and I dont think it will fully protect an aspheric lens.

I guess I do not understand why you chose a P7 drop in that is know to be a non thrower. There are plenty of drop ins that will out throw the P7. I do not own a P7 drop in or any P7 setup. I have done much research on the attributes of a P7 light, and a thrower it is not, being more of a high lumen flood.

Bill

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's common knowledge that multi-die emitters (Osram Ostar, SSCP7, Cree MC-E) will yield an artifacted beam with a donut hole in it. With the Malkoff P7 Mag Drop-in, a P7 costs about 3-4 times more than a P4 and the reliable step-down circuit that drives the P7 is also much more than the one that is in the P4 drop-in. All of that coupled with the high quality and workmanship involved in making the Mag P7 Drop-in is why it costs that 2.5 times more than the P4 one. Actually, a P7 still throws pretty good in a smooth Mag reflector from my experience, but you get more of a big blob of light with a donut hole in it rather than a tight sharp intense hotspot. As I recall, Gene lives on an acorage and so he's got plenty of distant objects to light up and I recall him telling me that he felt a P7 throws pretty good in a Mag. You could always of course get a sputtered or textured reflector to smooth out the beam, but of course you will lose throw there and end up with more flood.

I guess I do not understand why you chose a P7 drop in that is know to be a non thrower. There are plenty of drop ins that will out throw the P7. I do not own a P7 drop in or any P7 setup. I have done much research on the attributes of a P7 light, and a thrower it is not, being more of a high lumen flood.

Bill

Again I disagree that the P7 makes a poor thrower in a Mag with stock smooth reflector. Granted the beam isn't very pretty, but it still throws fairly good all things considered. I think StefanFS proved that with his own P7 Mag mods:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/192740

StefanFS also tried the P7 with an aspheric lens later in that thread and he said he was dissapointed with the results.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Maybe a very light OP on the Mag reflector would work for compromise of throw and flood, or one of the better aftermarket Al reflectors with good quality LOP. A large hotspot with most of lumens in that spot is easier to see at distance than a thin wispy high lux spot.

Bill

Skidmark6

Newly Enlightened
I was aware of the P7 beam characteristics, I guess I was just hoping for a little bit more WOW factor. The P7 just didnt do it for me, especially compared to an un-named $20 Q5 running on 2x CR123's. I thought the P7 would really blow it away and it just doesnt do it for me. Its definitely brighter, but as far as useful light, they are really too close to call. Ive only tested on a treeline 50-75 yards off, so the yellow tint of the P7 might be the culprit. The Q5 throws white, so it is easier to distinguish what you are looking at considering the green and yellow background of the trees and shrubs. There are plenty of beamshots out there but with my experience the P7 underperforms and the Q5 overperforms. Who knows, but in any case, it was a pleasure doing business with Gene, the order shipped promptly and everything was well packaged. I also appreciate his generous CPF discount. I do like his P4 dropin and highly recommend it. With the advances in small CR123 powered lights, something in a 2-3D size application would need to really be special to stand out. Just my 2 cents.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was aware of the P7 beam characteristics, I guess I was just hoping for a little bit more WOW factor. The P7 just didnt do it for me, especially compared to an un-named $20 Q5 running on 2x CR123's. I thought the P7 would really blow it away and it just doesnt do it for me. Its definitely brighter, but as far as useful light, they are really too close to call. Ive only tested on a treeline 50-75 yards off, so the yellow tint of the P7 might be the culprit. The Q5 throws white, so it is easier to distinguish what you are looking at considering the green and yellow background of the trees and shrubs. There are plenty of beamshots out there but with my experience the P7 underperforms and the Q5 overperforms. Who knows, but in any case, it was a pleasure doing business with Gene, the order shipped promptly and everything was well packaged. I also appreciate his generous CPF discount. I do like his P4 dropin and highly recommend it. With the advances in small CR123 powered lights, something in a 2-3D size application would need to really be special to stand out. Just my 2 cents.

It sounds like you were expecting an extreme hotspot with 4 times the intensity out of the P7, but the reality is that you end up with a hotspot that's 4 times larger with a donut hole that doesn't throw quite as far. However, if you can let yourself be wowed by the light immediatly in front of you or within 200 feet, than a quad-die emitter should give that effect when compared to a single-die emitter. It's all about perspective I think. Although again if you look at StefanFS's beamshots, a P7 in a Mag with stock reflector is no slouch in regards to throw. I bet if you strapped 4 Mags together that all have tightly focused P4 emitters in them that you'd probably get what your looking for, although I don't think it'll be too pratical. To each their own I guess.

jefft

Enlightened
Ok, I have drop-in install question. I had e-mailed Gene, but I realized that I should probably not bother him as one of you guys would likely be able to help me. I bought the "C" drop-in. My Mag has the correct serial number. I cannot get the drop-in to lock in the down position. I'm not sure what the set-screw really does as there is nothing for it to "grab" on to or expand into to hold the module in place. All it does is just tighten up to itself and make the heatsink a nice solid cylinder. Then the whole drop-in happily floats on top of the pedestal. Obviously, if the pedestal cannot be locked down, there is a gigantic hole in the center of the beam. Any suggestions?

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
Totally loosen the screw, push and fit the whole drop-in all the way down in, against the springiness into the bottom. Tighten the screw. It should expand and push that little wedge against the ring, holding the whole unit down. :confused:

jefft

Enlightened
Gene actually came to the rescue. Turns out I was using a jeweler's screwdriver and just wasn't able to create enough torque to lock the drop-in down. I used a regular screwdriver and voila! Reliable P7 output in a 2C mag host. Another excellent Malkoff product!!

Shagbd

Newly Enlightened
ok i just ordered one.
I plan to run it in a 6 cell D maglite.
can i run it off 6 NiMH energizers and ger full affect?

JJay03

Newly Enlightened
Im thinking about getting one of these for a 2d when they are available. Do you guys replace the stock lens and reflector with something better? I thought about the 2 18650 option any other suggestions? Will a123's fit in a 2d?

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
Im thinking about getting one of these for a 2d when they are available. Do you guys replace the stock lens and reflector with something better? I thought about the 2 18650 option any other suggestions? Will a123's fit in a 2d?

I would definitely replace the lens with and Ultra clear glass lens. Also, depending what you fancy, maybe a textured reflector?:twothumbs

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
I use PVC pipe cut to length and adjust the spring length.

For 2x18650 in a 2D light I use 3/4" PVC with half of a coupling on each end to center it in the flashlight.

I make a series of them end-to-end and then saw through the couplings. I can make quite a few in a short time. A tiny amount of adhesive before sawing to keep the coupling on. (I mount a fine tooth blade backwards on the saw for a clean cut.)

Overall length (not all that critical):
2D (2x18650) = 5" (127mm)
3D (3x18650) = 7 1/4 " (184mm)

To run 4C's in a 3D Mag body I use 1" PVC cut to 7 3/8" without couplings. I cut a few more of these while I had the saw set up.

Rich

For example:
IMG_1233_Cropped.jpg

Are the couplings flush end to end with the battery tube? Also, are the couplings glued in place? or just friction? Thank you for the pics.:thumbsup: