Malkoff P7 C&D Mag Drop-ins!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Thanks for the help. Money is no object is my price range. :whistle:
I'll look for those C sized Li-ion batteries, but I can't seem to find a charger for those darn things. If all else fails, I think I'm gonna go with 2X 18650's since I already have a charger for it.
I meant 2 18650s and a spacer to make contact with the spring and head. They should work.

I remember seeing a few C Li-ion battery chargers but I think many of them where home made.

glockbob

Newly Enlightened
Will 4 eneloop AA batteries fitted into C cell adapters power this P7 dropin in a 4C M@glite?

Gene43

Enlightened
Not very well. The driver really needs 5v under load to perform as intended. It will function down to 4.5v, but output is reduced to about half.

onenate

Newly Enlightened
:eek: OK my third drop in and first for a mag.
The first was the M60F and it is truly like a 100 watt bulb in my pocket. Pull it out and light everything within 50 yards in front of me :twothumbs

Just gota try this out.

Now the waiting :popcorn:
nate

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
I just got the C cell size! And a strike bezel and glass breaking tailcap! Now I just need some batteries. And a glass lens. Oh, and a C cell Mag Lite!! :crackup:

Which size C cell Mag Lite would work with 3 18650's? Would this be the best set-up?

Would it be worth it to run lithium C's? Brighter? How much more run time? Are they available?

Last edited:

elumen8

Enlightened
WOW!!!! I posted a question about the possibility of these just a few days ago on another Malkoff P7 thread and got no answer. I'm glad this came up today. Of course I'm too late for this batch...Now waiting for the next batch of available units is torture.

Btw...some of you that went to the last SJ party may remember I wanted to do a Mag P7 mod...this makes it so much easier LOL :twothumbs

-JB

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
With 2 or 3 Rechargeable (C size) 3.7v to 4.2v 3300mAh from Lighthound how long would it run?

My guess is it will be for 4 to 6 hours:D

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
Please don't beat yourself with a rubber hose. If you don't like it, I will of course make it right by you.

Knowing the quality of your work, I don't even own the above mentioned rubber hose.

Your modules have served by my side on duty, taken the abuse and shock of being mounted on my AR-15. Dropped, kicked, thrown, and drowned.

You clearly put yourself into your work. I really appericate the personal service and dedication You and Cathy put into your products, which is why I don't feel any anxiety about my latest purchase. (impulse buy)

I'm curious to see how it performs with 6 plain old D Alk's

Sincerely Anthony Ogline

PS I was going to send this as a PM however I feel it sits well here.(even to those who hath scorned me in the past for being too "pro-USA made")

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knowing the quality of your work, I don't even own the above mentioned rubber hose.

Your modules have served by my side on duty, taken the abuse and shock of being mounted on my AR-15. Dropped, kicked, thrown, and drowned.

You clearly put yourself into your work. I really appericate the personal service and dedication You and Cathy put into your products, which is why I don't feel any anxiety about my latest purchase. (impulse buy)

I'm curious to see how it performs with 6 plain old D Alk's

Sincerely Anthony Ogline

PS I was going to send this as a PM however I feel it sits well here.(even to those who hath scorned me in the past for being too "pro-USA made")

Great words for Gene and I completely agree. Gene's products are top notch and I can't see why anyone would worry about any issues with them.

As for the whole "pro made in the USA" thing, I feel it's a global economy and as a consumer that I like to keep my options open...but to each their own I guess.

Gene43

Enlightened
With 6 alkaline D's it will work, but it wants to be fed 1.6 amps at 9v. You probably won't get full output for very long.

RichM

Newly Enlightened
On Gene's site, it states the power requirement is 2-3 lithium rechargeables or 6-9 NIMH batteries.

How do you get 2-3 lithium rechargeables to work? Do they make C or D sized lithiums?

thanks

I use PVC pipe cut to length and adjust the spring length.

For 2x18650 in a 2D light I use 3/4" PVC with half of a coupling on each end to center it in the flashlight.

I make a series of them end-to-end and then saw through the couplings. I can make quite a few in a short time. A tiny amount of adhesive before sawing to keep the coupling on. (I mount a fine tooth blade backwards on the saw for a clean cut.)

Overall length (not all that critical):
2D (2x18650) = 5" (127mm)
3D (3x18650) = 7 1/4 " (184mm)

To run 4C's in a 3D Mag body I use 1" PVC cut to 7 3/8" without couplings. I cut a few more of these while I had the saw set up.

Rich

For example:
IMG_1233_Cropped.jpg

RunningDave

Newly Enlightened
I use PVC pipe cut to length and adjust the spring length.

For 2x18650 in a 2D light I use 3/4" PVC with half of a coupling on each end to center it in the flashlight.

I make a series of them end-to-end and then saw through the couplings. I can make quite a few in a short time. A tiny amount of adhesive before sawing to keep the coupling on. (I mount a fine tooth blade backwards on the saw for a clean cut.)

Overall length (not all that critical):
2D (2x18650) = 5" (127mm)
3D (3x18650) = 7 1/4 " (184mm)

To run 4C's in a 3D Mag body I use 1" PVC cut to 7 3/8" without couplings. I cut a few more of these while I had the saw set up.

Rich

For example:
IMG_1233_Cropped.jpg

Thanks for ideas. I just bought that size pvc for my C-cell maglight and noticed I need to take out a little bit of the diameter for the pvc pipe. The I.D. for the C-cell maglight is right at about 1 inch. The O.D. of the pipe is a little over 1 inch.

RunningDave

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just got mine. :grin2:

3 C-cell maglight. I decided to use 3 18500's.

simply amazing. Thanks Gene!

DSC04862.jpg

DSC04867.jpg

Gene43

Enlightened
3/4 inch sila-flex landscape pipe will fit in a Mag C and will accomodate 18650's nicely. I found it at Lowe's in the underground sprinkler section. A five foot piece cost about $2.50

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
3/4 inch sila-flex landscape pipe will fit in a Mag C and will accomodate 18650's nicely. I found it at Lowe's in the underground sprinkler section. A five foot piece cost about $2.50

Unfortunately, New York Lowe's and Home Depot's don't have sprinkler stuff over the winter. Nor do they have C cell maglites!! I got some 3/4" pvc and hope to make that work. I cant believe I went to Target, Lowes, and Home Depot and nobody had a 3C maglite! Thank god for Amazon.