Malkoff P7 C&D Mag Drop-ins!

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
So what's the better way to go? 2x18650? Or 3x18500? I already have the 18650's and think it would be easier to charge in a 2 bay charger, but what would the benefit of 3x18500 be? Runtime?

donn_

Flashaholic
Mine arrived. I'm running it in a stretched 2D, with a 3" head and smooth reflector. I'm using 3x 26650 A123 (LiFePO4) cells, for around 10V.

IMGP2507.jpg

Great work, Gene! Awesome beam! :twothumbs

Mong

Newly Enlightened
How would this guy run with 123 primaries? Would the draw be too much for them for short bursts of light (less than a minute most of the time)?

Cydonia

Enlightened
Well... Malkoff has done it again. What more can I say?
RunningDave, that beamshot on the wall looks smooth and just awesome.

Gene43 said:
3/4 inch sila-flex landscape pipe will fit in a Mag C and will accomodate 18650's nicely. I found it at Lowe's in the underground sprinkler section. A five foot piece cost about $2.50

Very useful information to know. Thanks!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sold out again.
I wouldn't consider 12-10 minutes to be short bursts. Alkaline should work as long as you meet the minimum voltage requirements, but it won't be as bright or run as long at high power.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
I plan to use this drop-in with a 3 D cell Maglite, and Energizer lithium AA primaries slotted in a fivemega 9AA to 3D adapter. At 8 x 1.5v each AA in series, this calculates out to 13.5 volts. A single AA dummy cell brings it down 12V as 13.5 exceeds the Malkoff guidelines by half a volt. Not sure if this is being overly cautious or not. Don't want to blow something up, or off.

USM0083

Enlightened
I plan to use this drop-in with a 3 D cell Maglite, and Energizer lithium AA primaries slotted in a fivemega 9AA to 3D adapter. At 8 x 1.5v each AA in series, this calculates out to 13.5 volts. A single AA dummy cell brings it down 12V as 13.5 exceeds the Malkoff guidelines by half a volt. Not sure if this is being overly cautious or not. Don't want to blow something up, or off.

Fresh L91s are about 1.7 volt out of the package, so be careful.

Last edited:

onenate

Newly Enlightened
I ran 6 new Duracell alkaline's for two hours. At about one hour in you could notice some dimming but it was still very bright out to the end of two hours. The head became hot but not too hot to touch. (the rubber cover on the switch fell out I think due to the heat) When I put the stock incan bulb back in it was yellow and fairly dim but useable for about ten minutes then the batts were flat.
Then I ran 3x18650 with the PVC as Richm suggested in a previous post. I used a short piece of copper pipe with copper caps to make a 1.5 inch filler in a 4d body. It ran for 2hours and 20 minutes before cutoff. The lamp was almost as bright for the entire time.
I think I can make up a 3d body with a mod of the spring and cap but I am out of time to play this week. Next week I will try that. The 4d is pretty light with the 3x18650 cells.
nate

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

You'll be OK.

Optik49

Enlightened
I think it would be a good idea if someone posted in this thread, a chart of battery options / configurations. Such as if you use a 1D you can use…….. 2D you can use…….. 2C……. (If you use PVC pipe use this size length and you can use this battery etc….) I think this will be helpful to a lot of members and new members. However, I will take a step back and let someone with more knowledge then me take it on if they choose to do so.

Just an idea
icon6.gif

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Malkoff Devices, and I like P7's, but a light this bright needs multiple levels.

My 0.02, ymmv (your mileage may vary).

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i tell you what would get me to pull the trigger. a 3x p7 light. im building my own 3d p7, admittedly not regulated but pretty cheap. you give me a 3xp7, even driven at 1000mah per led, and i'd pull that trigger in a heartbeat. any odds of a multi p7 gene?

BUZ

Enlightened
Hmmm very tempting.

So I could run one of these in a 3D mag with one of fivemega's carriages right?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182370

Anyone have any idea what kinda of runtime I would see with 9 2000mah eleloops? Have a ton of them laying around and several 9 cell carriages.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Malkoff Devices, and I like P7's, but a light this bright needs multiple levels.

My 0.02, ymmv (your mileage may vary).

I'm one who prefers single mode flashlights. With a P7, I expect a light canon type flashlight.