Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo (Weekly Updates!)

I can run 3x Alky or 3x eneloop, but my guess is it will be something similar to running on 1 primary. Unfortunately M61 requires more voltage than M60 and This module seems that it would be best in MD2 with Primaries or Li-ion.
I'm currently running M61N on primaries MD2 or MDC 16650, I can run 3x Alky or 3x Eneloop Pro after. You guys choose if you want Alky or Eneloop; I do not really want to spend too much more time on the M61LLL right now unless it's the main tests. These tests have been running for at least 24hrs. I can get many other tests done in this time and i feel that we are missing too many of the main tests right now.

I also noticed something got messed up on my M61 series spreadsheet, going to have to get that all straightened out. I'm going to have to keep backups of my data somewhere.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

M31LLL 219b Eneloop Pro

M31LLL 219b Eneloop Comparison

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fantastic! Could you clarify? Does this graph represent 1xAA or 2xAA? Forgive me if I've overlooked something obvious.

Thanks

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fantastic! Could you clarify? Does this graph represent 1xAA or 2xAA? Forgive me if I've overlooked something obvious.

Thanks

Unless he changed his naming conventions, I think that's 1xAA. In other graphs he puts the 2x in front of the battery type.

But I could be wrong. Hopefully he'll chime in with the clarification.

--flatline

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flatline is correct:thumbsup:
When it is more than a single cell/battery; I will put 2x, 3x, etc. However i am known to make errors (Since I am supposed to be human) So it is also good that Modern questioned it as well;)

I am currently finishing a M61N 2x rayovac primary test that was requested and also needed. So I will post results for that here in a bit. Not sure what I plan to do for the next test

Looking back at the M31LLL Eneloop comparison... This is showing that the pro is the way to go, or there is something wrong with the standard eneloop test. Ive been using the same select few batteries, so my guess is the pro really shined on this test.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking back at the M31LLL Eneloop comparison... This is showing that the pro is the way to go, or there is something wrong with the standard eneloop test. Ive been using the same select few batteries, so my guess is the pro really shined on this test.

I take your point. Personally, I'd rather have full output for 8 hours 200 times, than full output for 10 hours 50 times. I've made that point elsewhere. Just one guy's opinion, but the standard eneloops have much to offer.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

So then it would appear that the M31LLL *is* in regulation at 1.2v. Or else we're being fooled by the Eneloop's legendary voltage stability (aka "poor man's regulation").

I suppose the easiest way to find out is to do a test with an alkaline. If it still looks regulated, then it *is* regulated.

--flatline

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is a taste of what i am working on for the Specs sheet

If anyone knows what any of the missing data is, please let me know. I am slowly working on rough actual readings and will update when i can
p4nMQSI.jpg

RnShLrs.jpg

v3afGxl.jpg

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm glad to see the "Actual Current Draw" column in your spec sheets, even if it's currently empty.

If I can get permission to use the power supply we have at work, I would like to measure the current draw of, for instance, the M31LL at every voltage increment in its supported voltage range (.8, .9, 1.0, 1.1...3.2) and draw the curve. I'd like to do the same thing for the M61LL to have a better understanding of how the direct drive circuit works once the voltage gets below 3.4v.

Anyways, this is something I've been thinking about for a while. Should be a fun exercise.

--flatline

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I take your point. Personally, I'd rather have full output for 8 hours 200 times, than full output for 10 hours 50 times. I've made that point elsewhere. Just one guy's opinion, but the standard eneloops have much to offer.
This is weird, I never saw yours and flatlines posts last night, then they were there today.
I know you prefer standard eneloops because of the recharge cycle count. My statement really was for those that are just looking for the maximum amount of runtime. In this test the pro got 2hrs more runtime at near full output
in some of the other tests, the pro only got .5-1hr more runtime. So in this particular test we are seeing a bigger gap between the 2. That is all I meant by the statement that the pro really shined.

Life expectancy of eneloops I feel is a different story. I bought all my eneloops in Dec 2016, so we will see how they hold up.
The stated claim of 500 cycles for the pros is a very long time for the average user. I personally think a lot of this is just marketing hype.

This hype is similar to when you go to the autoparts store and buy into the lifetime warranty. Sounds great but the product is inferior to the product with a 1yr warranty and will have to be replaced several times; where the 1yr warranty product will continue without issue (in most cases). Okay, probably not the best analogy as we know standard eneloops have proven to be be reliable, but you can get my point about the marketing BS.

Maybe a better analogy would be long life bulbs/LED lights... I have switched most of my bulbs over to LED in my house, life is claimed to be yrs on the leds but I have had several go out on me in a short amount of time. Life of these is nowhere near what they claim. Standard bulbs and compact fluorescents have shown better life but still the compacts do not last near as long as they claim either....and i can't really say i have seen any improvements on the utility bill by running these lower drawing bulbs.

anyway, I am getting off track and rambling, but i hope some of this makes sense. I do understand that most will choose the standard eneloops; which is why I will start to test these more than the pros unless the pros are requested. Eventually i will probably just test them all just so we can see all the options.
So then it would appear that the M31LLL *is* in regulation at 1.2v. Or else we're being fooled by the Eneloop's legendary voltage stability (aka "poor man's regulation").

I suppose the easiest way to find out is to do a test with an alkaline. If it still looks regulated, then it *is* regulated.

--flatline
I have already tested alkaline on this unless you mean 2x alkaline. I need to see what i have done with this module and make sure i have a comparison graph
I'm glad to see the "Actual Current Draw" column in your spec sheets, even if it's currently empty.

If I can get permission to use the power supply we have at work, I would like to measure the current draw of, for instance, the M31LL at every voltage increment in its supported voltage range (.8, .9, 1.0, 1.1...3.2) and draw the curve. I'd like to do the same thing for the M61LL to have a better understanding of how the direct drive circuit works once the voltage gets below 3.4v.

Anyways, this is something I've been thinking about for a while. Should be a fun exercise.

--flatline
I have some of the M31 series tested but I had no plans to test every increment, just what would actually e used. i will input some of what i have into my specs sheet so you can see. I can also take one of the modules (M31LL) and show you what i come up with.
I am not sure if i can do every point increment as my power supply is very sensitive and cannot always be dialed in to what I want. I have already spend several hours on just a few modules.

I will report back in a bit to see what i can come up with for you on this. Also note that every module will be slightly different on actual current draw. Then if you wish to still test yours at work, you can compare and see if the curve matches between our results

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I forgot to mention,
I am currently running M61LLL 219b on 3x Eneloop pro and it is looking promising for those that really want to run around with an MD4 with 1/4" extender just for the M61LLL. I personally wouldn't do it but if that is your cup of tea...by all means
I am at just over 13.5hrs and still putting out 46lm; staring output was 50lm. Doing better than I imagined

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is a one time deal that i have chosen to do for Flatline. I may do more in the future but it will definitely not be anytime soon

M31LL 219b will run at 0.7-0.8v (possibly slightly lower voltage); However a minimum of 0.85v under load is the absolute bare minimum required to fire up this torch (and 0.85v is sometimes not quite enough)
Being that I needed 0.96v without load/ 0.85v under load just to get the torch lit; this test is based off of voltage under load. There is a point in the test where this all levels out and unloaded/loaded voltage is 0.01v off and maintains throughout the rest of the test.

XFr8In0.jpg

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you!

It would appear that the the M31LL transitions from regulation to direct drive at 1.3v where it is pulling a whopping 1400mA! Even at 1v it's still pulling 700mA.

Hmm...that's a whole lot of current to produce 50L. I'm going to have to think about that for a bit.

--flatline

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you!

It would appear that the the M31LL transitions from regulation to direct drive at 1.3v where it is pulling a whopping 1400mA! Even at 1v it's still pulling 700mA.

Hmm...that's a whole lot of current to produce 50L. I'm going to have to think about that for a bit.

--flatline

I understand the desire to run this on a 1xAA tube, but it is, after all, a 3v platform.

Very revealing test. Thanks, INFRNL.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a funny feeling that now I have created this graph, there will be requests for many others. I will just stick to the original plan for now.

Yes, that module does get super hungry(starved) around 1.3v and below; pretty crazy. I still really like the module though. I think (and I could be wrong) but M31L/M31LL 219b would be my choices for M31.

I'm not sure how much more i will get done this weekend. Boss and i are taking the kids out to our favorite Japanese restaurant tonight and i always drink a couple extremely good/strong Mai Tai's. I don't drink very often, so I won't be 100% in the head when I get back

Tomorrow, I have to get ready to head out for the week. Plus i am still waiting for the M61LLL 219b test to finish. I plan to work on current draw readings on M31/MDC so i can get those posted. I also think I still need to link the last couple graphs i posted. i'm also slowly trying to organize the links a little more; to help aid in finding the graphs slightly easier. I might eventually have to break it up; I am not really liking to have to scroll so much (adding/editing is not as easy as it once was).

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, I was going to start doing some current draw readings and was thinking about some things. I am not exactly sure what my plan is.

Rated voltages will be tested under load and set to rated value. All other tests will be set before being loaded which would simulate real life

Here is a breakdown of what voltages need to be tested. This shows all possibilities. The only thing I do not know is what my plans are because of rested and charged voltage differences. While it's not a lot, it does make a slight difference on draw. This would only apply to eneloop and li-ion cells.
I'm thinking 1.45v for eneloop and possibly 4.165v for li-ion (just use an avg)I am not going to test both voltages; that is entirely way too much work.

3fDYfXK.jpg

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

I understand the desire to run this on a 1xAA tube, but it is, after all, a 3v platform.

Very revealing test. Thanks, INFRNL.

I was suspicious when I left it tail-standing for 20 minutes and it was warm to the touch when I picked it up. I can do the same thing with the M61WLL and there's no noticeable heat at all.

Anyways, I've got a handful of 10 year old CR123A cells that I need to use up. Once I'm done with those, then I'll worry about the run time on NiMh AAs.

--flatline

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I forgot to mention,
I am currently running M61LLL 219b on 3x Eneloop pro and it is looking promising for those that really want to run around with an MD4 with 1/4" extender just for the M61LLL. I personally wouldn't do it but if that is your cup of tea...by all means
I am at just over 13.5hrs and still putting out 46lm; staring output was 50lm. Doing better than I imagined

Most excellent, please keep updated.

Latest posts