Maratac AAA Q5 (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I have a black one. In my pocket all the time. But of course its aluminum which handles heat better than steel...

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sure, there are technical differences in materials but what does it really mean in real world use? I can testify to the fact that I pay little little difference between the aluminum and SS versions and they're all still working admirably. For those of you who don't know, I'm running all four of mine on 10440's and and sometimes on medium they get uncomfortably hot. One might argue, "they might be working but your degrading the LED." Well, that may be the case but so far that's not happening according to the light meter. During my ceiling bounce tests of my newest light, I found that my most used aluminum light is actually still the brightest of the bunch. The next brightest was another older light, my first one, and my newest light was the third brightest. Obviously one man's experience doesn't speak for all examples but take into consideration that we haven't heard reports of other failures either. Add to that the fact than SS LDO1 had a good reputation as well and I think the SS thermal concerns may be overstated in this application.

One point to note regarding the thermal pathway from the head to the body, it doesn't seem to be slow for either material. If I turn the light on high and set it on the desk body temperature starts to rise within 5-10 seconds according the the infrared thermometer. This leads me to think that the pathway is sufficient.

A last observation of my new EP SS Maratac reveals a perfectly centered LED and a HOP, highly reflective reflector. My other lights have more of a frosted or matt finish. Even though this new one measured 1.4 lux less in the ceiling bounce test it's by far the best throwing AAA light that I own now. I'm very happy!

Keep up the great work County Comm! :twothumbs

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
I had a polished iTP version. The stainless steel finish appeared to be some sort of plating, not mechanically polished. The difference can be seen in Patriots photos.

CampingLED

Enlightened
With an extra 1mm in length the protected 10440's have surfaced. Question: will it fit in the Maratac, and will they design for the 10440 battery as well? Previously all designers were stating that the unprotected batteries should not be used. Now they need to relook their strategy and disclaimers. :poke:

Patriot

Flashaholic
With an extra 1mm in length the protected 10440's have surfaced. Question: will it fit in the Maratac, and will they design for the 10440 battery as well? Previously all designers were stating that the unprotected batteries should not be used. Now they need to relook their strategy and disclaimers. :poke:

I don't own a protected 10440 so I'm not sure if the extra 1mm still works. I suspect that as long as it's only 1mm it should work fine.

I know that many manufacturers warn against unprotected batteries but many also warn against 10440 use specifically, mainly due to the voltage issue and not just the lack of protection circuit.

Patriot

Flashaholic
With an extra 1mm in length the protected 10440's have surfaced.

Hey CampingLED, I just discovered over in the battery section that they're saying the protected Trustfire is 2mm longer. I'd say that's going to be pushing things and I sort of have my doubts. I suspect that a number of AAA lights are going to have difficulty with 2mm longer cells.

DoctaDink

Enlightened
The new electro-polished one is nice. I like it better than my own hand polished veriosn. .. I could never quite get into the knurling. I wish they would sell the stainless clip so I could replace the original black one.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Wow! They must have torqued the hell out of that, given that it happened above the threads. Reminds me of some of the soda cans I have "torn" when I go to crunch them up before throwing them out. The metal looks pretty thin at that point in the light and I can see this happening if you are a bit too rough.

Did I just hear a collective "Oh SH@#"?

Patriot

Flashaholic
That's the second picture I've seen of one that broke there. I wonder how much force was required to do that?

d1337

Enlightened
The new electro-polished one is nice. I like it better than my own hand polished veriosn. .. I could never quite get into the knurling. I wish they would sell the stainless clip so I could replace the original black one.
+ l

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks Bearcat. Doesn't seem like much force if it's true.

Some various reflector shots.

....................Frosted.......................................Semi Frosted........................................OP.
Crop.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.