Master thread for disasters and generators.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generac is recalling 64,000 portable generators due to a serious fire and burn hazard. :caution:
Saw that in the CPSC's newsletter. Personally, I think a lot of their recalls are based on people being stupid, and you can't fix stupid. I sympathize with genset manufacturers, as alot of the govt. regs that they have to comply with are unreasonable. Really, I don't think this harassment will end until they run the mfgrs. out of business, because these use ICE, and burn hydrocarbon fuels.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Saw that in the CPSC's newsletter. Personally, I think a lot of their recalls are based on people being stupid, and you can't fix stupid. I sympathize with genset manufacturers, as alot of the govt. regs that they have to comply with are unreasonable. Really, I don't think this harassment will end until they run the mfgrs. out of business, because these use ICE, and burn hydrocarbon fuels.
In general terma I agree; a generator is a serious and potentially dangerous piece of equipment. You've got gasoline, high voltage, carbon monoxide and a lot of heat in a relatively confined space. In this particular case though it seems like a vent isn't working properly, causing a buildup of pressure.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general terma I agree; a generator is a serious and potentially dangerous piece of equipment. You've got gasoline, high voltage, carbon monoxide and a lot of heat in a relatively confined space. In this particular case though it seems like a vent isn't working properly, causing a buildup of pressure.
Same thing with a car fuel tank. You crack the cap, wait for the pressure to equalize before unscrewing it and removing it, so gas doesn't spray out. Same with a Coleman white gas product. They are made for people with common sense, not idiots. It is too unreasonable for govt. to regulate a product be mfgd. idiot proof.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Same thing with a car fuel tank. You crack the cap, wait for the pressure to equalize before unscrewing it and removing it, so gas doesn't spray out. Same with a Coleman white gas product. They are made for people with common sense, not idiots. It is too unreasonable for govt. to regulate a product be mfgd. idiot proof.
Make something idiot proof and someone will come up with a better idiot.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Make something idiot proof and someone will come up with a better idiot.
Nothing is idiot proof. They will defeat every safety device.
Idiots are also both numerous and persistent.

Reminded of a pithy quote from a Yosemite park ranger regarding an early bear-proof waste receptacle:
There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists
The reality in this situation was the the receptacle's usage was not intuitive and it's not worth it for a human to spend more than a few seconds trying to figure out how to get something to open then lock again while it's the thirty minutes a bear might spend trying to brute-force a container is more profitable than a similar time spent foraging.

Generators have a long history of being used after disasters and killing more people than the disasters themselves, thus I can appreciate the CSPC's focus on them. As PhotonWrangler put it, they're a potent combination of hazards.

turbodog

Flashaholic

I've been trying to remember if I've ever met someone dumb enough to utilize an ICE generator inside an enclosed area. 🧐
Surely, it would've been evident if they were.

You read about one every now and then... they are almost 100% deceased or on life support.

That said... running one inside an open garage is a recipe for death also... all it takes it a little negative pressure inside the house and exhaust will be sucked right in through cracks/gaps. This is non-intuitive. And after a storm, or while still raining, the garage is a protected place to run it.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
You read about one every now and then... they are almost 100% deceased or on life support.

That said... running one inside an open garage is a recipe for death also... all it takes it a little negative pressure inside the house and exhaust will be sucked right in through cracks/gaps. This is non-intuitive. And after a storm, or while still raining, the garage is a protected place to run it.
Been seeing more advertising for generator tents lately. Perhaps filter bubble / Google intrusiveness or perhaps some growing awareness of the issue.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Generac is recalling 64,000 portable generators due to a serious fire and burn hazard. :caution:
Wow, following this link I discovered that Honda is also recalling their
Honda Model EU7000is Portable Generators due to a similar issue with their fuel tanks.

Hazard:
The fuel filler cap can improperly seal, resulting in fuel and/or fuel vapor leaking, posing a fire hazard.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Those Honda fuel caps were probably only 0.02mm out of spec.
Fact they got on it right away says something.

the first of maybe three recalls on my car was for just a fuel cap..
the others were super minor also

turbodog

Flashaholic
Turbodog- I'll be curious as to what you find. Mine's of the same vintage/running hours. I replaced my pull rope preventatively about 5 years ago as it was starting to fray at the case opening. Please keep us posted.

Crammed my 'snake' camera through the oil fill hole. Could not see much. Got a good view of the oil slinger and connecting rod.

My camera has an INflexible end about 2" long, so it could not bend really well. Additionally it wanted to hang due to sharp edges. I was able to get it in there about 5" total before chickening out.

5" should be far enough to see the belt if it's viewable. From looking at the case it appears to be at the 'rear' of the engine near the muffler. I tried a straight lens and 90 degree. Got nothing useful on either.

On a (basically 20 year old generator) I've gone through 2-3 carbs each, and air filter (the engine "digested" it). The foam sealing strips on the side & spark plug doors has disintegrated into nothing but adhesive residue. They both smoke for a second when cranked.

This pretty much solved my carb issues combined with draining the bowl of the final 1/2 teaspoon after it died.

1695068848819.png

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crammed my 'snake' camera through the oil fill hole. Could not see much. Got a good view of the oil slinger and connecting rod.

My camera has an INflexible end about 2" long, so it could not bend really well. Additionally it wanted to hang due to sharp edges. I was able to get it in there about 5" total before chickening out.

5" should be far enough to see the belt if it's viewable. From looking at the case it appears to be at the 'rear' of the engine near the muffler. I tried a straight lens and 90 degree. Got nothing useful on either.

On a (basically 20 year old generator) I've gone through 2-3 carbs each, and air filter (the engine "digested" it). The foam sealing strips on the side & spark plug doors has disintegrated into nothing but adhesive residue. They both smoke for a second when cranked.

This pretty much solved my carb issues combined with draining the bowl of the final 1/2 teaspoon after it died.

View attachment 49356
This among other reasons is why I do not shut down a genset with a switch, but turn the fuel petcock to off position and burn all the remaining fuel within the carburetor's bowl and lines to burn, even engaging the choke, until it dies. No off switch can equal the safety when it comes to petroleum fueled gensets. Burn all the fuel off. This simple task is why I have not needed to replace fuel components on any of the gensets within 30+ years.

Safety first.

Do Not take shortcut's when using Petrol based gensets. Every partial once of fuel not burned in an idled genset poses problems. Whether component related damage or not, it's just not worth the risk to not clear/use up all potential fuel within the genset's system.

I have had to replace many lawn mower components due to left in place fuel, but not one of the many fuel based gensets I have used. Simply burning and exhausting all remaining fuel within the equipment's lines and carburetor's system's is the right thing to do to prevent the many safety and maintenance issues associated with not doing so upon shutdown, IMO.
GL

Latest posts