Maximum capacity size "D" re-chargable ?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Maximum capacity size \"D\" re-chargable ?

Amondotech has *titanium* brand 11000mah D cells for $9.80
not sure how good they are, perhaps someone else that has tried them will speak out.
Titanium 11000mah D cell

oldtimer

Enlightened

It's funny that Energizer supposedly only have 2300mAH ones.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Yea I wondered how they could overcharge for the air/cardboard in those C and D nimh eveready cells, they should be honest and sell converters with AAs instead.

DiscoSnorlax

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
They should be honest and sell converters with AAs instead.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually have a set of AA>D and AA>C battery adapters, 4 of each. On the side they say "Green Power Battery Adapter", I got them off eBay. I'm considering buying more, actually.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

yea, I don't think stores would want to sell them as they would cut into the higher priced C and D cell sales. I wonder how much cost difference there is in the chemicals in different cell sizes... you would think a D cell wouldn't cost much more to make than a AA or AA cell except the chemicals the case price should be pennies. Shipping would cost more weight/sizewise though.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BatteryCharger said:
Yeah, I think those are just AA's in a D sized can. They are light weight though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually the 'light weight' C and D cells contained SubC cells.
I have never seen one which contained a AA cell.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

they might as well have AAs in them with only a 2300mah capacity, subC cells typically have around 3000-3300mah or so.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
they might as well have AAs in them with only a 2300mah capacity, subC cells typically have around 3000-3300mah or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they might, but I haven't seen one up to now. These cells were made to be cheap and cheap SubCs are around that range.
Have you ever disassembled a 'lightweight' D cell containing a AA cell?

But actually we were looking for the highest capacities, not the lowest .-)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I haven't taken one apart, but people reading this thread should know about them I figure in case they forget the numbers they will realize you cannot find decent C or D nimh in most stores. I have yet to see one around here.
They will most likely have to order them and at the prices I would be hesitant to recommend any of them as better than another as I haven't tried any of them.

Perhaps someone that has used the uber cells could ring in, I shudder at paying more for batteries than the device they go into is worth myself.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
I haven't taken one apart, but people reading this thread should know about them I figure in case they forget the numbers they will realize you cannot find decent C or D nimh in most stores.

[/ QUOTE ]
I read some months ago that NiMH Ds with a capacity of 4500 mAH or less are considered to be consumer grade. (IIRC 4500mAH is about the max capacity if a Nicad D cell). These wimpy NiMHs DO appear to be all that I have seen in stores. It looks like if you want industrial grade cells of higher capacity you have to order online or mail order.

[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
I have yet to see one around here.
They will most likely have to order them and at the prices I would be hesitant to recommend any of them as better than another as I haven't tried any of them.

Perhaps someone that has used the uber cells could ring in, I shudder at paying more for batteries than the device they go into is worth myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't bought any of the super cells either for the same reason. The sweet spot for D cell pricing for me seems to be about 9000-9500 mAH. They've come down quite a bit. With the bulk prices at Batteryspace I also won't feel so bad if I drop one on the floor and kill it.

I was careful to buy a smart charger (AccuPower AccuManager 20) so I will be able to use the new 11000 mAH cells (and beyond) when the price becomes reasonable.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

When prices get down to about 5.00 for 9000+mah nimh D cells I will probably get a charger and bite on them. I would love to have C or D cell nimh LED lights but the batteries eat you up in cost quickly compared to AA, AAAs. I think anything that uses a lot of D's I will consider wiring up to lead acid batteries instead if I decide I want to use them a lot. I could invest in the AA to D converters but those look to be a pain, first you pay a lot for good ones then you have to dissasemble/reasemble batteries in/out of them and recharge them perhaps 4 at a time or buy other/bigger capacity chargers.

It appears the subC nimh are another sweet spot for price/higher capacity. I wonder if someone makes adapters for them for use in D cell applications... they may only be 3300 mah or so but that is still better than 2300 and useful enough to consider until the uber D's drop down about 3-4 bucks a cell.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
When prices get down to about 5.00 for 9000+mah nimh D cells I will probably get a charger and bite on them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Batteryspace.com is pretty close to that price right now in their (8) 9500mAH D package for $44.95. I've been using these every day in lights and a boombox for ~4-5 months now and they are better cells than the ones I paid almost twice as much for 3 years ago.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Yea I saw that price awhile back but bought alkalines anyway
for about 1/8 the price figuring the stuff I got them in I rarely use now I have AA nimh lights just as bright. My *boombox* is a bookshelf sony stereo with optional 12D carrier that slips in place of the power supply and since the tape deck broke and it has no cd player and the tuner has no presets I don't drag it around anywhere now.

Perhaps if I buy an 18watt lantern and a D cell boombox with CD/remote and decent output I will spring for some then.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have had great luck with the higher capacity D cell batteries.
Nexcell 8500's, Supreme Power 9000's.
These have all ben charged at least 50+ times and seem to have a bit more capacity than when new.
I'm using the Vanson Speedyboxes to charge them with.
It's very identical to the Accumanager 20. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I didn't know www.amondotech.com had the 11,000mah D cells till now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I'll have to think about that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

The one problem I would have with D cells is I got sort of spoiled by my rayovac 1hr charger and those things take half a day or more to get charged and if you need 8 of them you just about have to get two chargers or wait over a day to get them recharged, or wire em together and use something like a triton to charge them at 2amp rate/each.