MBI Core Ti - (world's thinnest??) Titanium Flashlight Pendant - (work in progress)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
The comparison doesn't hold water. None of us is interested in carrying a phone around our necks, and although that wasn't your point, comparing the two is ridiculous.

Having worn a Draco around my neck for the last couple of years I can say that the brightest I would want a single level light to be is somewhere in the 5-20 lumen range. I can't speak for all, but I want something completely practical and not just a blow-the-other-guy-away overdone light that has short run times or is unusable when checking on the baby or other normal day to day usages.

More, more, more is a line from a song that does not translate well to daily life, but rather to egos.

Thanks as always for the feedback.

I don't think jd_oc was meaning we should carry a phone around our necks (though some people do),
rather I interpreted it to mean "something usually always with you".
In that light, it made sense to me at least.

I certainly can not speak for everybody but I tend to have my phone with me most times (ok, so not in the shower) :D

5-20 is great for most short range tasks :thumbsup:
but just a little more flood is useful too in a large (dark) storeroom when Im looking for stuff.

sorry, not sure that I know the song you mean (more, more, more) but for me its nothing to do with ego,
for better or for worse, its just pure obsession, and that does not mean that less can not be more,
just means that I hope to create more.
creation is a means of expression, even painters feel an urge to paint more, more, more
so respectfully, I ask you not to take it in the wrong light :mecry:

peace \/

tgwnn

JacobJones

Enlightened
Wouldn't an iPod nano battery be perfect for this? Small, thin, decent capacity (400mAh), cheap, and being lithium ion you could direct drive the led with just a resistor.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm literally dancing a little jig at 3:00AM as I read this! Whoo hoo!

+1. I will say though, jd_oc, that I agree with you in that a more potent light is generally/often welcomed; indeed, if we could have a light with Zebralight functionality in this form factor, I think most of us would be drooling even more than we already are--though I'm not sure that is possible for me [to drool anymore than I am already drooling]! That said, the magic of this type of light is that it is truly something you can have on you at all times: when sleeping, in the shower, when the power goes out and you happen to be in the bathroom without your phone, etc. Since it is such an "intimate" light (sorry! I know that kinda makes it sound like a marital aid--not intended!), it will also be used for things like checking on babies, late night bathroom runs, and to see where you glasses are so you don't knock over the glass of water next to your bed... Thus, as a simple, single level light, something really potent might not be so great in this role. Rather, I like the idea of a 3-10 lumen soft light, similar to the Ti-Fli which I carry and use with great regularity (I had it on for over 1 year without removing it and used it almost every day; only recently have I been trying out the Photon Rex since I was burning though a fair amount of hearing aid batts...) All that said, YMMV and I also hope to see what else comes down the line... perhaps with some element of control in a future light, we could have both low-lumen for the aforementioned purposes, and high-lumen for when we need some power that can be more like a full-sized EDC. Something like the Draco (one of Kaichu's favorites and mine, too!) does this insanely well: very small, rechargeable, multi-levels from nice and dim to blindingly bright! But this light, our little buddy MBI Core Ti, would be significantly smaller and more wearable, and thus would have further specifications...

Apple

:twothumbs

p.s. Glad I made someone dance :party:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't an iPod nano battery be perfect for this? Small, thin, decent capacity (400mAh), cheap, and being lithium ion you could direct drive the led with just a resistor.

Not a bad idea actually!

A tiny bit bigger than I'd like but at least they are "kind of" standard.

Thanks JJ,

tgwnn

sniff sniff sniff! where's the sign up list......:0)

Coming soon....
...not enough hours in the night :candle:

tgwnn

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
side note: I had looked at some of the commercially available equipment which looks sooo cooool but I'm not quite ready to be able to buy/operate/keep such equipment personally. Maybe when I can do this full time!
tgwnn
So posting here 18 hours a day is not full time? Now that's dedication :thumbsup:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
So posting here 18 hours a day is not full time? Now that's dedication :thumbsup:

maybe a combination of dedication, obsession and passion :D

not sure that I can keep posting at this pace forever,
especially once the products actually arrive and I get really busy,
but all I can say is
What an awesome place cpf is!! lovecpf

tgwnn

Last edited:

Blumoon

Newly Enlightened
Awsome I want one already :( going to have to make room for this next to my vox mini

mp101

Newly Enlightened
Like the stonewashed idea, matt black would be nice also, as always, keep up the good work

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the stonewashed idea, matt black would be nice also, as always, keep up the good work

Thanks,

Some additional updates:

Confirmed that beadblast finish is possible,
maybe stonewash too but I'll need to check the finish on a sample to be sure.
Also, checking if we need a minimum quantity for that.

Custom engraving (eg. on the non-button side) could be possible,
The current facility has a laser engraver (but they can not do colors),
and they can do it on a one-by-one basis for an additional fee.

They explained that when the engraving is done one-by-one, it takes time to set up the machine,
font, size, etc. which is understandable.

If custom engraving is really something you want,
please do let me know so I can try and plan ahead,
as I will need to somehow automate that within the order process to prevent drowning... :eek: ;) :)

tgwnn

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Confirmed that beadblast finish is possible,
maybe stonewash too but I'll need to check the finish on a sample to be sure.
Just want to point out that these are polar opposites of each other. Beadblast will show marks immediately, whereas stonewash will hide any marking. To compare the two would be to compare latex paint and cerakote.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to point out that these are polar opposites of each other. Beadblast will show marks immediately, whereas stonewash will hide any marking. To compare the two would be to compare latex paint and cerakote.

Thanks Kaichu as always for the feedback and for suggesting the stonewash finish in the first place.

Of course, agreed that the stonewash will do a better job at hiding any marking and that beadblast may have the effect of highlighting any.
The exact finish will be determined by the media used (eg. sand,gravel,rocks) so the so called "perfect" stonewash finish may take some trial and error of media choice, unless anyone knows the "exact" formula used to achieve the finish on the knife that kaichu mentioned previously. (anyone??)

tgwnn

p.s. personally I think a cerakote version would be cool :cool:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
more updates...

confirmed with R&D team that a slightly angled hole,
as shown in post #41 is doable so will be adjusting design to that shape
and with a necklace/lanyard attached, the change should not be noticeable without a magnifying glass.

confirmed a latch circuit (one push for on, another push for off) is also possible and we can probably get away with squeezing one into the current size (though pcb size is not 100% confirmed but should be small enough).
Not sure that I want to do that for V1 though because with end of year approaching quickly, it would likely delay the production run to January, so for those who consider that a must-have feature, please let me know.

I have put together an email subscribe here form (similar to the Torpedo list)
as well as a survey for preferences MBI Core Ti preferences survey

(I'll add this to the first post)

Switch
A) Momentary On is fine
B) One push for On, another push for Off

Finish
A) polished (same as post #1)
B) beadblast
C) stonewash
D) other

Custom Engraving Wanted
A) yes
B) no
C) maybe

Thanks,
tgwnn

Last edited:

joe1512

Enlightened
Hey I wish you luck with this project. Im following your 500lumen AA light thread too.

One thing I do like is that your stuff is aiming for a reasonable price point. The 38DD for example is a really cool amulet light with variable output and high max lumens. But it is also hundreds of dollars... Plus like you said, it has a lot more bulk to it.

I guess my problem with the concept is that there are already quite a few ways to provide light in a compact manner. Honestly this thing is going to be functionally equivalent (at best) to taking a 99 cent squeezie light and tying it around your neck. Won't LOOK nearly as cool of course! But the cheapie is easily attached to a keychain or purse of even non-flashaholics to provide 10-20 lumens as needed while taking up no weight or bulk. Cell Phones often have "flashlight" modes.

Flashaholics will carry an itp A3 or equivalent on their keychain which provides a huge amount of light (relatively speaking). I can't see that many wearing something around their neck.

I figure if someone IS gonna wear a flashlight around their neck, that they probably would go with the 38DD or Draco, etc which gives a lot more wow-factor. Make sure to get a solid gauge of user demand before proceeding too far with this one...especially since you already have a few other buns in the oven!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I wish you luck with this project. Im following your 500lumen AA light thread too.

One thing I do like is that your stuff is aiming for a reasonable price point. The 38DD for example is a really cool amulet light with variable output and high max lumens. But it is also hundreds of dollars... Plus like you said, it has a lot more bulk to it.

I guess my problem with the concept is that there are already quite a few ways to provide light in a compact manner. Honestly this thing is going to be functionally equivalent (at best) to taking a 99 cent squeezie light and tying it around your neck. Won't LOOK nearly as cool of course! But the cheapie is easily attached to a keychain or purse of even non-flashaholics to provide 10-20 lumens as needed while taking up no weight or bulk. Cell Phones often have "flashlight" modes.

Flashaholics will carry an itp A3 or equivalent on their keychain which provides a huge amount of light (relatively speaking). I can't see that many wearing something around their neck.

I figure if someone IS gonna wear a flashlight around their neck, that they probably would go with the 38DD or Draco, etc which gives a lot more wow-factor. Make sure to get a solid gauge of user demand before proceeding too far with this one...especially since you already have a few other buns in the oven!

Hi Joe,

Certainly appreciate the conscientious feedback.

I have taken the factors you mentioned into account during the concept creation.
The "BIG" differentiator between the Core Ti and the lights you mentioned is that the Core Ti is jewelry first,
with an embedded light second. I do believe the others to be designed as a flashlight first.

Some people just want to wear something that looks stylish and unobtrusive.
There is no shortage of pure titanium "dog tags" that sell for much more than the Core Ti and seem to be doing reasonably well.

At approximately 5grams, its light, is something I could envision a supermodel wearing (in fact I had made some mockups on the neck of some female models but stopped short of posting those pics at the last minute as I didn't want to offend or bias the target of the Core Ti), and IMHO something I'd be as happy wearing as I would a pricier Cartier pendant, with the added benefit and surprise of there being a flashlight embedded in the 3mm~ body.

The "wow" factor in the Core Ti, is that its something small/thin enough to look as though it could be part of some circuit board, and the surprise is that it "produces" light, as opposed to the volume of light.

In light of many recent events around the world in the last year (earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, etc), I think that given a choice of a far more expensive designer pendant (perhaps larger too), that is indeed only a pendant and nothing more, versus a reasonably priced, pure titanium pendant (and priced more competitively than most other titanium jewelry pendants), enough people (who are not necessarily hard core flashaholics needing 1000 lumens :D or even aware that is possible) may like the Core Ti.

So far the non-flashaholics I've show the concept too have shown favor to the concept, but there is only one way to really find out, and that is to make it and try ;)

1000 lumens is not a bad thing, I'm the first to raise my hand and admit I'm crazy like that, but even I prefer a small amount of light for some things.

Hope that makes sense,

tgwnn

DM51

Flashaholic
It's an interesting idea for a light. Precursors to the flat flashlight concept include the 1998 "Sinclair Flat Torch" (patent data here).

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an interesting idea for a light. Precursors to the flat flashlight concept include the 1998 "Sinclair Flat Torch" (patent data here).
Thanks DM :thumbsup:, that's very appropriate material to study and reference.

Guy,
I have to bow down to those in favor of stonewashed finsh. For two reasons. First the bead blasted is a very delicate finish that can be sratched and marred quite easily. I absolutely love bead blasted Titanium :devil: it is my favorite. Second is the a bead blasted finsih will actually get polished from wearing on the neck. It may take some time, but eventually you will have one shinny polished side(the one facing clothing/skin) and one bead blasted one.
Updates & poll complete.
GL

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Switch
A) Momentary On is fine

Finish
B) beadblast
C) stonewash
D) other

Switch

A) Momentary On is fine
C) Either is fine
D) Both - Click for on/off, hold for momentary

Finish
B) beadblast
C) stonewash
D) colored
E) other
F) combination

Just had to tweak these two answer options and hope you'll allow more than one choice to be selected per answer. I can't fill out the survey with the options as they stand now.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing that DM, a nice snippet of history and actually Ian's current version of the flat light, whilst a little big for my liking, is still a very nice piece of work using a custom li-po.

Thanks DM :thumbsup:, that's very appropriate material to study and reference.

Guy,
I have to bow down to those in favor of stonewashed finsh. For two reasons. First the bead blasted is a very delicate finish that can be sratched and marred quite easily. I absolutely love bead blasted Titanium :devil: it is my favorite. Second is the a bead blasted finsih will actually get polished from wearing on the neck. It may take some time, but eventually you will have one shinny polished side(the one facing clothing/skin) and one bead blasted one.
Updates & poll complete.
GL

Thanks GL,

Good point about the beadblast and in combination with kaichu's earlier posts, I do wonder if anyone wants it (but that is what the survey is for).
One point worth mentioning is that the beadblast finish of the device I use to write these posts on, usually has my hands resting on it with some weight for hours on end, daily and not a sign of fading or polish (but I wouldn't want to scratch the thing).
Not sure if its treated with anything but just saying.

Switch

A) Momentary On is fine
C) Either is fine
D) Both - Click for on/off, hold for momentary

Finish
B) beadblast
C) stonewash
D) colored
E) other
F) combination

Just had to tweak these two answer options and hope you'll allow more than one choice to be selected per answer. I can't fill out the survey with the options as they stand now.

Thanks Kaichu,
I modified the form about 15-20 minutes after posting the link to separate the updates & survey (into separate forms),
but cpf was very slow and I wasn't able to update the post for the first 45mins.

Switch
C [either]
was already added.
D [click for on/off, push for momentary]
happy to add that to the survey

It would still be a version 2 thing but if its doable, sure why not!

Finish
B) beadblast
C) stonewash
D) colored
E) other
F) combination

Allowing more than one choice one makes sense to me if color is an option (but I need to check if it can be).

What do you have in mind by F) combination (beyond a color & finish) or would it be redundant if you can choose multiple?

tgwnn

Latest posts