• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo Seoul Secret Revealed

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like I've un-covered evidence that McGizmo's adding some surfer mojo to the Seoul P4's:

What the McLuxIII-Ti-PD doesn't have
2007012852001178ledflouhs2.jpg

And what the McLuxIII-XR19-C wouldn't have without a GITD o-ring
2007012852001177ledflouvh1.jpg

The McLuxIII-27LT-S has in spades
2007012852001176ledfloujk4.jpg

At first, I thought it was just flourescence from my A19-XR-E-UV, but we all know that McGizmo must have a secret sauce for his lights, right? :nana:

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the P4 phosphor really reacts with UV a lot. Normally the wavelength bad of YAG is pretty narrow, and royal blue usually only excites it that much.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The picture is actually subdued. I had to hold the A19 at a severe angle, else the entire reflector was washed in reflected flourescence and it just looked like a giant, shiny yellow reflector.

This was with a 390-410nm UV Cree LED. I wonder what it would do with a shorter WL?

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
OK, Codey, this tops me smelling the Rubber boot. I'm not going to ask why you were looking @ your lights w/ UV.... :laughing:

That is cool though.

Fringe

Enlightened
OK, so let me get this straight. The UV is flourescing the LED?

Better go assemble my Aleph LE.

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
Was that UV off the taillight of the WiseLED PSM? Nice output.

Codey, where did you score the Cree UV LED? Is it a custom or production?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
tacticalsupply.com said:
Was that UV off the taillight of the WiseLED PSM? Nice output.

The WISELED UV tail light was too bright for this close up work! :rock: That WISE UV is the real deal.

This was from my UV modded SF A2.

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
What LEDs did you pack in the A2? Do you know the wavelength? UV Lights have intriuged me lately. I would like to see a broad range of wavelenghts available, but all the LEDs I find are available in fairly narrow spectrums.

BTW, very cool pics indeed. I'll refrain from speculation on what made you decide to UV the head of your new light.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
tacticalsupply.com said:
What LEDs did you pack in the A2? Do you know the wavelength? UV Lights have intriuged me lately. I would like to see a broad range of wavelenghts available, but all the LEDs I find are available in fairly narrow spectrums.

BTW, very cool pics indeed. I'll refrain from speculation on what made you decide to UV the head of your new light.
Cree UV 395's I think. CPFer IsaacHayes modded it for me. PM him, he'll like the business. :)

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoliceScannerMan said:
OK, Codey, this tops me smelling the Rubber boot. I'm not going to ask why you were looking @ your lights w/ UV.... :laughing:

That is cool though.

Don't worry, PSM, you still have tops honors in the weirdy world! I was checking some $20 bills for the security strip and my 27LT-S was lying next to them. I noticed it purely by accident. :nana: :duck:

For those who want more power, here's what it really looks like:

2007012852001181ledflouww9.jpg

All the yellow prevented the camera from focusing, but it still shows just how much it flouresces (too lazy to get out the good camera and tripod). The mottled area at the top of the reflector was caused by the camera not being perfectly centered over the reflector. Trust me on this - the P4 in my 27LT-S is absolutely perfectly focused.

On, and to be fair to PSM, the A19-UV I'm using is driving the Cree with a Wiz2 at 500mA.

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Codey, when reading your above post, the picture in my vision out of the corner of my eye, the yellow area seemed to get bigger, like an optical illusion. Trippy dude.

You making that discovery is kind of like how Wilhelm Roentgen discovered X-Rays on 11/07/1895.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kind of doubt my discovery will impact the world as much.

But, I did discover something interesting earlier today about chocolate chip cookies. No UV are involved, but I might be able to make some money on the idea, so all I'll say about that is, Crunchy and Chewy! :naughty:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Codeman said:
I kind of doubt my discovery will impact the world as much.

But, I did discover something interesting earlier today about chocolate chip cookies. No UV are involved, but I might be able to make some money on the idea, so all I'll say about that is, Crunchy and Chewy! :naughty:

:thinking: :sssh: :drool: :sold:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Interesting find! :D For a data point, I tried a Nichia 365 nm UV light on the seoul P4 and Cree XR-E and saw similar behaviors. I understand that Nichia has made some interesting white LED's using UV to excite the phosphor instead of a blue LED.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
PSM, tacticalsupply: Correction, the UV leds were 380nm. They are a lower wavelength than 390/400nm so you're eyes don't see as much purple light. Also the phosphor on the SSC P4 probably glows less with this since it's farther down into deeper UV. The leds were obtained from www.xenopuselectronix.com . BTW PSM, glad it's still serving you well! :rock:

Very odd that the phosphor glows this much under UV. Normaly it just glows a little, and blue is the light that excites it the most.

For other weird things top this: Take a 360nm (has to be this low of a wavelength) UV led, and shine it on a royal blue or cyan luxeonIII. The shinny die will glow yellow!! I bet you guys haven't done that!! :nana: