• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Megalennium 3x18650 by FiveMega

Status
Not open for further replies.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
These things with the mn61 bulb are impressive.

I would love to use the MN60 and definitely the MN61 in my Megalennium as well.

Does anyone know if the MN60 or MN61 LA's would be overdriven at all in our Megalenniums? I wondered especially about the MN61 because the 18650's don't sag under load as much as primaries do.

Might the 60/61 LA's have shortened life or possibly instaflash?

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
I have run both and and the whiteness of the light is superb. how much overdriven it is I can't say. but the bulbs seem to hold up ok with the softstart. the mn61 was featured in the m6 rechargeable options thread with 3 17670s. same voltage just more capacity with the 18650s.

larry117

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine in the mail!

Now all I need is a KT4 to go with it...

mwaldron

Enlightened
I have run both and and the whiteness of the light is superb. how much overdriven it is I can't say. but the bulbs seem to hold up ok with the softstart. the mn61 was featured in the m6 rechargeable options thread with 3 17670s. same voltage just more capacity with the 18650s.

You have to be careful with 18650's, yes the 17670's are the same voltage but under the current draw of the MN61 they have a lot more voltage sag, and thus provide less opportunity to :poof:.

The Softstart may be the saving grace for that configuration though, that's why this platform is so awesome there are just amazing amounts of options.

openbolt1

Enlightened

Does anyone know if the MN60 or MN61 LA's would be overdriven at all in our Megalenniums? I wondered especially about the MN61 because the 18650's don't sag under load as much as primaries do.

I can say with certainty that you will have no problem running that combination. I have a BigLeef x3 "C" light that uses the MN61 with no problems after 2 years of intermittent use...and it has no soft-start capability...

openbolt

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
FM, do you plan to offer additional sections for this body to run 6x 18650 or 9x 18650?

It is almost impossible to make an extension to be lined up with body in tight position. That means, battery bore on extension and body must be lined up and in mean time extension in tight position for electrical contact.
People normally hold the end section of tactical flashlight body to operate switch. A 6x18650 will be too long to be practical use and very unbalance.
To use a 9x18650 tactical flashlight, one must have foot long thumb. ! ! !
Those 6x18650 or 9x18650 flashlights are in Elephant category.

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
[quote A 6x18650 will be too long to be practical use and very unbalance.
Personally I disagree. I can see why an extension on this design would not work but I for one would have no issues with a one piece body at 6x18650 length for some applications. I would be in for at least two. Anyone Else?

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey DM51!

I saw your M6 shootout thread (awesome thread, by the way!:twothumbs) and saw the MN61 works good with 17670's.

What's your thought, if you please?

Safe to use MN60 and MN61 LA's with the Megalennium and 18650's? Or not enough sag to prevent :poof:?

DM51

Flashaholic
Hey DM51!

I saw your M6 shootout thread (awesome thread, by the way!:twothumbs) and saw the MN61 works good with 17670's.

What's your thought, if you please?

Safe to use MN60 and MN61 LA's with the Megalennium and 18650's? Or not enough sag to prevent :poof:?
The MN60 and MN61 will both be greatly over-driven on 3x18650. The soft-start will prevent instaflash, but the voltage will hold up well and at this voltage the life of these bulbs will be drastically reduced. Someone who is better than me at the math could give you an idea of how much, but I'll take a shot at it and guess that you'll be lucky to get 10 hours life out of these bulbs. You'll get 10 hours out of a WA1185, but there's a striking difference in cost: $30 for the MN60/61 vs. $6 for the WA1185.

If you don't have one of Fivemega's MN bi-pin sockets to give you the 1185 option, the best solution would be the Lumens Factory HO-M6R, which is a superb bulb that is designed for this voltage and will not be overdriven.

Mdocod or LuxLuthor would probably be able to give you a more accurate prediction about the MNxx bulb life than I can.

Edwood

Enlightened
[quote A 6x18650 will be too long to be practical use and very unbalance.
Personally I disagree. I can see why an extension on this design would not work but I for one would have no issues with a one piece body at 6x18650 length for some applications. I would be in for at least two. Anyone Else?

6x 18650 would be ridiculously huge, and would not be all that portable. Perhaps with a huge Colossus sized turbo head and a LED Zep Moby **** module.

-Ed

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
6x 18650 would be ridiculously huge,

-Ed
Size is in the hand of the beholder. A 6x 18650 wouldn't be any bigger than FMs original elephant with and extension and since I have two of the megalaniums and have held them up together to get an idea of size perspective I don't find anything ridiculous about it at all.
The length with head is almost exactly the same as a 3 d mag light ( maybe a bit shorter) and slightly thicker thru the body but the grooving of the megalanium minimises the cross section. Nobody seems to have issues witha 3D mag light much as there are lot of people who have that length and longer without any trouble. So I guess for you your vote is a No. Anyone else?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size is in the hand of the beholder. A 6x 18650 wouldn't be any bigger than FMs original elephant with and extension and since I have two of the megalaniums and have held them up together to get an idea of size perspective I don't find anything ridiculous about it at all.
The length with head is almost exactly the same as a 3 d mag light ( maybe a bit shorter) and slightly thicker thru the body but the grooving of the megalanium minimises the cross section. Nobody seems to have issues witha 3D mag light much as there are lot of people who have that length and longer without any trouble. So I guess for you your vote is a No. Anyone else?

I'd be in for one. I like the idea a lot. To have that kind of capacity and LA possibilities in a light the size of a 3D mag sounds excellent. Killer light options, killer capacity.:thumbsup:

niner

Enlightened
Given the issues that FM described, it might be cheaper and easier to make a seperate 6x18650 tube.

FM,

I am surprised that you feel the 6 x 18650 would be too large to be practical. One of your lights that is my favorite is the 6 x 17670 Mag. The 6 x 18650 would be a better version of that. And being able to use that 35 W 12 v Hikari bulb with better runtime than the 6 x 17670 would be a huge benefit. For those not familiar with this bulb, it is extremely bright and costs less than a dollar.

In any event, I would think that most people who own the Megalennium would want to have both the 3 x 18650 and the 6 x 18650 bodies. Having the two bodies would give you a great deal of flexibility in size and brightness and runtime for relatively little money.

donn_

Flashaholic
The way I see it, the big difference between a 6x 18650 Megalops and a Maglite lies in the switch position. The longer the light, the more difficult a tailswitch becomes.

The "big" lights; Elly, Colossus, Mammoth and long Mags all have a forward mounted sideswitch which makes for much more balanced use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts