Modified TN31

TEEJ

Flashaholic
hahoo

Thanks for the offer but I will let the pros take the beam shots. If you look at my earlier post I have updated it with my impressions of the light after dark.

laur

LOL - FINE, send me the light, and I'll take the beam shots and send the light back.

:D

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just pulled trigger & ordered one of Saab's modified TN31, getting ready for my battle in the woods III: Elephants vs. Foxes shoot-out.

This will go up against my 15.5 Amp CBT-90 FM3V Elephant, Olight SR-95 UT, The Darth Vader (6.5 Amp Copper-on-Copper XML U2, 3" Aspheric) and the Firefoxes 3 HID. All will be either 3x or 4x 18650 format, so this light fits in perfectly.

Will have ceiling bounce & lux readings for all the big guns.

I don't have an integrated sphere to measure lumens but FF3 is measured at 4100 OTF lumens, I can use it to convert other ceiling bounce numbers into lumens & use my kitchen as an "integrated square" :)

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Just pulled trigger & ordered one of Saab's modified TN31, getting ready for my battle in the woods III: Elephants vs. Foxes shoot-out.

This will go up against my 15.5 Amp CBT-90 FM3V Elephant, Olight SR-95 UT, The Darth Vader (6.5 Amp Copper-on-Copper XML U2, 3" Aspheric) and the Firefoxes 3 HID. All will be either 3x or 4x 18650 format, so this light fits in perfectly.

Will have ceiling bounce & lux readings for all the big guns.

I don't have an integrated sphere to measure lumens but FF3 is measured at 4100 OTF lumens, I can use it to convert other ceiling bounce numbers into lumens & use my kitchen as an "integrated square" :)

Great!

So, when where are you doing it?

The last time we went out to play together it was a blast.

:D

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I've got my Big lights ready too! Lots of Varapowers, XMLs, XPG2, and Domed and Dedomed VPT1,2,3
Not sure how long it takes to get here but maybe post some comparisons this weekend.
photo%2520%252815%2529.JPG

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I've got my Big lights ready too! Lots of Varapowers, XMLs, XPG2, and Domed and Dedomed VPT1,2,3
Not sure how long it takes to get here but maybe post some comparisons this weekend.
photo%2520%252815%2529.JPG

Have you ever considered getting mag light based flashlights?

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Have you ever considered getting mag light based flashlights?
Lol, MagTubes! Wouldn't be much else there that Mag would recognize. I think one of them might have a bulb in the tailcap. No TN31 today maybe it will be here tomorrow. I'm actually most interested how it will do compared to the Turbo XPG2, which to to my eye seems to beat this:

Q5%2520Pill1.jpg

DEFT%2520Kit1.jpg

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Just as a note I calculated the average of the lights so far and it comes out to 242Kcd. The range has been from 223-275Kcd. I will be adjusting the spec on the website to 242Kcd. Interestingly the drop from the average of 242Kcd to 223Kcd represents a fall of 7.851% which is really close to the plus or minus Cree gives to their LEDs of 7%. So it seems these results are well withing the range I'd expect when factoring in the variances on all the other parts that make up a completed flashlight.
Why is there such a variance? 50k lux is a huge margin? I thought It would be a lot less being a reflectored light and not having lenses and optics and stuff that could change.

Do a lot of them test much closer and that 275k lux model was just a fluke? I know that it doesn't translate into that much difference in real world throw but a de-domed SR90 will get really close to 220k lux but 275k lux is something special.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is there such a variance? 50k lux is a huge margin? I thought It would be a lot less being a reflectored light and not having lenses and optics and stuff that could change.

Do a lot of them test much closer and that 275k lux model was just a fluke? I know that it doesn't translate into that much difference in real world throw but a de-domed SR90 will get really close to 220k lux but 275k lux is something special.

On a light with a total of 60Kcd typical a 50Kcd spread would indeed be odd. On a light with typical performance of 242 this is perfectly normal. In fact it would be extremely odd if it was any less than that much of a spread. You really need to think in percentages as that is how this stuff is calculated.

One very simple fact that you should realize is that merely by using a Cree LED you can expect the lights to have at least a variance of ±7%. Notice percentages. It is right there in the data sheets when referring to the binning process. But that is not telling the whole story. Keep in mind that each bin has a spread as well. The U2 bin XM-L having a ± of roughly 3.2%. So that 6.4% variance is in addition to the 14% variance of the actual binning procedure. This doesn't even get into the variance one could see in minute differences in the amount of current a specific driver supplies or the quality of the AR coat which does vary from light to light. How about the quality of the mirroring on the reflector?

So as I said the ±7.8% these lights are showing thus far are well within what I'd expect to see.

Note that the way I came to the average was to add all the cd readings together and then divide by the number of lights tested. This is where I got the 242Kcd number. The spread is a different number which I also supplied. This the highest and lowest lights that I have measured thus far. 223-275 If you find the middle of those two numbers you get 249Kcd. Note that that is above the typical numbers I quoted you of 242Kcd. Hidden in this is a degree of weighting of the results. The 249 number is so high because of a few high super performers. This means the weighting is slightly to the lower end of the scale. This makes sense when you understand a fact of manufacturing. The bell curve. The fact that the U2 is the top bin(for all intents and purposes) means it is at the bottom of the curve and therefore the weighting within this bin of LEDs would be slightly to the lower end performance wise.

So what I am saying is that the range in performance with the Modified TN-31 is actually very tight when you really examine it. You would be hard pressed to see the difference from the top to the bottom using your eyes.

Last edited:

DON KIDIK

Newly Enlightened
Hi Michael,are they all posted and will we get some for of tracking.Its been a long wait since August.

DON...

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I received a shipping notice and tracking info the 11th, Thursday. I checked today to see if it was delivered, but it's at my post office. I'll just wait for them to bring it out to my place tomorrow. I ordered mine in august as well. I think he did pretty well with all the delays in receiving and extra unanticipated work involved.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Michael,are they all posted and will we get some for of tracking.Its been a long wait since August.

DON...

About 20 have been shipped thus far and the final of the first batch of 26 go out this week. Ordering more lights to cover the balance today. You will get tracking sent via email once it has shipped.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Opps, they lied, it's here today! Certified 252 K lux at 74°F here. Gotta go round up some batteries:)
Ok took three AW cells out of a Legion II. They were all just about 3.97V. First impression is this thing is bright but not that bright. That is, until I ran it up against some other lights. I would say 2x as bright seems like a good estimate of some other XML lights I have. But they are not decapitated. Very clean job with the dedoming! I don't really know what to shine this up against. It's clearly brighter than the Deft I have pictured above. Batteries are all back on chargers so I can't wait to see what this looks like later when it starts getting dark. The tint is very neutral and similar to some of the NW lights that I have. Very pleased with this light and look forward to some OMG models!
PS I think I still see spots from shining this off the walls.

laur

Newly Enlightened
Ok took three AW cells out of a Legion II. They were all just about 3.97V. First impression is this thing is bright but not that bright. That is, until I ran it up against some other lights. I would say 2x as bright seems like a good estimate of some other XML lights I have. But they are not decapitated. Very clean job with the dedoming! I don't really know what to shine this up against. It's clearly brighter than the Deft I have pictured above. Batteries are all back on chargers so I can't wait to see what this looks like later when it starts getting dark. The tint is very neutral and similar to some of the NW lights that I have. Very pleased with this light and look forward to some OMG models!
PS I think I still see spots from shining this off the walls.

Fresh Light

LOL
I have to agree about you seeing spots. I shined the TN31s on a white wall at close range using turbo mode. Even the reflection of the beam off the wall was almost too bright to look at (275K LUX @74F).

laur

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
getting really close to pulling the trigger on one of these but need to figure out what to ask for my catapult and AW cells. I really have no idea what used stuff in great condition is worth. does it lose much value?