Modified TN31

Ragnar66

Enlightened
Still waiting for mine too........should be any day now.......:candle:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one too. I have the stock TN31 (no slouch for sure) and I can't wait to compare them!

The SAAB modded TN31 is my favourite thrower now.

I have just this weekend received my FENIX TK75 and I LOVE IT AS WELL!!!

It does not throw anywhere near the modded TN31 but it is a great Incarnation of the older TK70 that I still have to compare the TK75 to.

WHAT A COMBINATION!!

TN31 - THROW.

TK75 - SHEER GOOD COMPACT ALL-ROUNDER.

The stock TN31 that I have had since it first came out is still throwing strong!!

It is good being able to compare them together sometimes but as you say the Stock TN31 is "NO SLOUCH".

I think that a lot of the "TN31 Bundle Deal" buyers will have been amazed by it and have now been converted to the
"THRUNITE TN31 FAITH"!

I am sure that you will like what you are getting with the SAAB modded TN31 from the O.S.T.S.

CHEERS
:twothumbs

I've had the modded TN31 from saab for some time now. It really is a great bit of kit.
Anyone sitting on the fence, IMHO you cant go wrong with it.
Thanks again saab, very very happy with it. Keep up the good work.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the modded TN31 from saab for some time now. It really is a great bit of kit.
Anyone sitting on the fence, IMHO you cant go wrong with it.
Thanks again saab, very very happy with it. Keep up the good work.

It takes all of my willpower to stop myself from walking around the street after midnight with it and still being amazed by that beam and great LED tint.

Most times I give in and let it take me around my block well after normal people would be asleep!

Michael (Saabluster) really knows his stuff with modding lights.

I cannot say just how impressed anyone sitting on the fence still would be by this compact LED thrower.

The stock TN31 that I still have was great to start with.

Michael got hold of them and turned a Volkswagen into a Porsche in car talk.

I have the NEW Fenix TK75 and it is the perfect companion to be with the Saab modded TN31.

Both lights are about the same dimensions as well and they fully complement each other as I walk around with both of them in the back pockets of my Jeans!

CHEERS

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL - I would have thought a TN30 would be the perfect compliment to the TN31.

:D

langham

Enlightened
The Fenix site claims some outrageous numbers for lux as compared to the stock TN31 it should be almost the same. What do one of you who has both think? Does it compare? Do any of you have the TK70 and TK75? How do they compare? I have seen some video evidence that the lux reading that they give is blown way out of proportion to the actuality, but I would like to hear it from someone who has the light. Just gives one more reason to get the modded version of the TN31 if it does come that close, because aside from the deal from the Thrunite store the TK75 is cheaper.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The Fenix site claims some outrageous numbers for lux as compared to the stock TN31 it should be almost the same. What do one of you who has both think? Does it compare? Do any of you have the TK70 and TK75? How do they compare? I have seen some video evidence that the lux reading that they give is blown way out of proportion to the actuality, but I would like to hear it from someone who has the light. Just gives one more reason to get the modded version of the TN31 if it does come that close, because aside from the deal from the Thrunite store the TK75 is cheaper.

The 75 has less range than the TK70. It is a more focused but still floody beam...but the overall cd is lower.

My TK70 has decent range...but not like my SR90, and definitely not like my Dedomed SR90...and I believe the specs indicate that the TN31 STOCK should be closer to at least the SR90 end of things....surpassing the TK70.

The TK75 has a lower cd than the TK70, so it will be even further behind in range, and so forth.

Last edited:

langham

Enlightened
I am not saying that I believe that it is true, but from each of the manufacturers websites the ratings are TK70-130500cd, TK75-92000cd, and TN31-75000cd and not only that, but the Fenix site also claims that their light will go further as far as meters. I know that one XML in a huge reflector will throw further than 3 XMLs in a smaller reflector, but the websites are misleading so I figured I would get it from someone who knew. I have seen that the OSTS TN31 will compete with a de-domed SR90 in the lux department complete with a beam profile comparison, but the TN31 is being pushed to the max where the SR90 can be driven harder.

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
Albert I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on the long range night shooting topic.
I know what you're saying but I think with the right gear and the appropriate terrain it's pretty easy to see what your bullet is going to hit and safely take a shot.

But back to torches, Langham inadvertently convinced me to go on a de-doming spree - cutting up a heap of my LEDs including my tn31 which was going great until I stupidly dropped the reflector back in without putting the plastic locator in first and I smashed the led!
So just wondering if anyone could direct me to the best place to purchase a replacement??

I'll fix it up and give in to buying saablusters. Too easy to go wrong even though I should have had it nailed lol.

On a side note for the guys that hunt I read in another thread that saabluster is probably going to offer a modified dereelight xsearcher soon. I am no expert, but considering how much the tn31 is improved i would suspect that a modified xsearcher could be an absolute gamechanger. And small enough to mount on a scope! Standard xsearcher with xre led is apparently already <180kcd.

langham

Enlightened
I think that the XRE-G2 has a higher surface intensity so it will throw further, and it is be smaller. There is another thread about removing the domes from these XML style leds and if you are going to insist on performing surgery you may want to refer to it. If you want a replacement there are quite a few places that provide replacement LEDs, but you may have an issue with the reflow process, because it isn't that easy to do with these. I would suggest just buying one already on a small board and just taking it off. illumination supply has them on clearance right now.

Last edited:

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
Langham thanks for the reply but can you just elaborate for a flashlight amateur what you mean by taking it off the board? Does this mean I won't have to reflow solder (didn't realise reflow was so involved)? I've found them on illumination supply but don't understand how I transfer the new led to the board. And just to confirm if I found one with a 30mm board I couldn't just normally solder the new board onto the + and - wires without killing the led?

langham

Enlightened
The problem is that there aren't very many places that will sell an XML-U2 with a heatsink that is as good as the one already on the TN31. You just have to heat up the board until the solder paste is liquified and then pull the led off of the old board. The new board will have to be prepared to receive the led. You should look at the data sheet on the CREE website that tells you about the temperatures the led can withstand while being reflow soldered. There are threads about doing it at home on CPF, you just have to look. I personally just heat the board up and hold my solder on it until it melts and then I hold it a little longer until the board is at a slightly higher temperature than the solder's melting point and then I place the led in place. This is a bad method for several reasons, mainly it has to do with the thermal shock that will be experienced by the led and that is not the only thing. My advice is to look around for a replacement TN31 emitter already mounted, I did get that method to work and there is no difference in the led that I can see. You can find bare U2 emitters on ebay, I just looked earlier. Good luck!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I am not saying that I believe that it is true, but from each of the manufacturers websites the ratings are TK70-130500cd, TK75-92000cd, and TN31-75000cd and not only that, but the Fenix site also claims that their light will go further as far as meters. I know that one XML in a huge reflector will throw further than 3 XMLs in a smaller reflector, but the websites are misleading so I figured I would get it from someone who knew. I have seen that the OSTS TN31 will compete with a de-domed SR90 in the lux department complete with a beam profile comparison, but the TN31 is being pushed to the max where the SR90 can be driven harder.

Selfbuilt rated the TN31 at closer to 117k cd than to 75k cd.

Based on the claimed range, which is simply a calculation based on the cd...I think they accidentally published the wrong cd.

Selfbuilt's cd and estimated range are closer to the claimed range spec, but SB's cd to GET the range was a lot higher than Thrunite's ad. spec.

Also - On Saab's first page of this thread...he says the STOCK TN31 was at 130k cd, also indicating that Thrunite screwed up their ad, etc.

Last edited:

Ragnar66

Enlightened
Just got my tn-31 mod the other day. Amazing light. Nice work saabluster!!!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt rated the TN31 at closer to 117k cd than to 75k cd.

Based on the claimed range, which is simply a calculation based on the cd...I think they accidentally published the wrong cd.

Selfbuilt's cd and estimated range are closer to the claimed range spec, but SB's cd to GET the range was a lot higher than Thrunite's ad. spec.

Also - On Saab's first page of this thread...he says the STOCK TN31 was at 130k cd, also indicating that Thrunite screwed up their ad, etc.

Yeah I got a range of about 112-135 for the stock TN-31. I didn't test every single one so there may be a few outliers too but that was the general range I saw. Thrunite clearly messed up on their stated cd ratings.

Just got my tn-31 mod the other day. Amazing light. Nice work saabluster!!!
Glad you like it. :)

Ragnar66

Enlightened
so Saab what are you going to modify next???

Maybe he will mod the speed of light for kicks?

Had mine for a few days now and really can't get over it.......and thats after all the buildup........its amazing.