Modifying a Pila Charger to charge 4.1V

mpteach

Enlightened
Is it possible to modify the Pila charger voltage down to 4.1v by changing the resistor ratios?

Last edited:

Shadowww

Banned
No, why you'd want that?
For price of Pila you can get two hobby-chargers, which can charge to 2.45V, 3.6V, 4.1V, 4.2V - some even up to 4.3V, with variable charging currents up to 5A.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Remember that the v is higher when you measure a cell fresh off the charger, but if you come back and measure an hour later for example, the v will be lower.

The charger uses algorithm to charge the cell, which helps to avoid over charging...the end voltage is not always 4.2 v for example.

Food for thought.

mpteach

Enlightened
I already own a Pila. It's compact and portable and easy to use. Yup teej after resting my bats come down to 4.18v, still not good for long term.

Anyways if all i have to do is add a resistor it would be pretty easy. I posted this question in a thread where a Pila ibc was compared with a soshine that was modified to fix a high voltage. I wanted to know if i could modify the pila in the same exact way for a low voltage but the moderator thought i should get a new thread.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Sounds counter to every PILA post on voltage I've ever read, and a worthy goal. Wish I could change a setting on my laptop to 4.1 or even 4.0v. I'm tired of killing expensive packs just from leaving it plugged in.

Good luck on your search!

Shadowww

Banned
Sounds counter to every PILA post on voltage I've ever read, and a worthy goal. Wish I could change a setting on my laptop to 4.1 or even 4.0v. I'm tired of killing expensive packs just from leaving it plugged in.

Good luck on your search!
Some laptops have that feature.. E.g. my laptop has option "Extend battery cycle life", when that option is enabled it only charges battery up to 80%, which is ~4.05V/cell.

mpteach

Enlightened
The soshine has two resistors for a voltage divider and can be fined tuned by parralleling a resistor to one of them. I dont want to mess with my pila unless someone knows it would work and not break it lol.

I can randomly use a bunch 1850s in a single day an then not use any for a month, id rather store them a little lower. Plus a family member may borrow a light and leave it in a hot area for a while.

I was wondering if using one of those new 4.35v battery at 4.2 was equivelent to using a 4.2v battery at 4.1?

Shadowww

Banned
I was wondering if using one of those new 4.35v battery at 4.2 was equivelent to using a 4.2v battery at 4.1?
It theoretically should be, yes. LG (D1 3000mAh / C2 2800mAh), Samsung (ICR18650-30A, ICR18650-28A) and Sanyo (UR18650ZTA, UR18650ZT) currently have 4.35V 3000mAh cells and 4.3V 2800mAh cells.

mpteach

Enlightened
It theoretically should be, yes. LG (D1 3000mAh / C2 2800mAh), Samsung (ICR18650-30A, ICR18650-28A) and Sanyo (UR18650ZTA, UR18650ZT) currently have 4.35V 3000mAh cells and 4.3V 2800mAh cells.

Do you have any evidence of their longevity at lower voltages of these new type of cells?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
A non tech option would be using a high amp draw to pre discharge the cell after charging. A few tests with a stop watch and volt meter would show the ideal time period.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
You can add a resistor in-line with the battery while you are charging. At a termination current of 50mA (I believe) you'd need about a 2ohm resistor. It would slow down charging a lot though, even if you drop that to a 1 ohm resistor.

Shadowww

Banned
With 2ohm resistance I doubt Pila IBC would even start charging the cell. That high resistance might make it think it's a dead battery.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
With 2ohm resistance I doubt Pila IBC would even start charging the cell. That high resistance might make it think it's a dead battery.
Yes maybe :(
I think you can fit a .1 ohm in there okay though, which will lower the termination voltage a little, not much. It would be simple though.

mpteach

Enlightened
So i have a few choices.

A buy 4.35v batteries and charge them to 4.2v with pila if that would help?

B buy a 4.1v hobby charger and 4.2v batteries. Hobby charger might be too complicated for other family members and too bulky for travel so i would use pila occasionally

C buy 4.2v batteries use pila and throw them out in a year or so when Li-imide batteries come out!

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
Well the increased rate of degration is a lot higher at ~4.2 than ~4.1 but I'd suspect that your batteries will still last a good few years in good health.