my edc needs/wants

slyman920

Newly Enlightened
So I'm new to the forum and i'm try to find the flashlight for me. So I'm not that well off so I have to be cost Conscious. Iwould like it to be small perferably a single cell perferably "aaa"but not limited to. But would like the for it to be able of Multiple different cells as well as able to take rechargables.I would perfer push button/switch operation and multiple mods low,med, high maybe a signal. And reliable something that will last afew years atleast. I really hope some of you guys might know something that fits the bill I have been looking for a while and really need help decide/finding the right light.and thanks in advance

So I'm think sensible price.
1 cell perfable mutiple cell types that can be recharged.
Multiple mods low, med, high, etc.
Reliable and good quality.

smoking stroker

Newly Enlightened
Well i dont know much about smaller aaa lights maybe someone else will chime in. But i and alot of other people on here edc the mh20 and or a sc600. These lights take the 18650 cells. But the lights themselves are small compact easy to edc. They have multiple modes from very moonlight mode to 1000 plus lumen turbo modes. And everything in between.

akhyar

Enlightened
Zebralight SC600. I've been using my first gen SC600 since they were launched back in 2011, so with moderate usage, I think it can easily last for at leas a vew years.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a key chain, or in a pants pocket, there are definite advantages to AAA batteries. When small size is paramount, and you do not want to use more exotic battery formats, AAA is the clear winner.

The biggest disadvantage, of course, is capacity. The AA version of the rechargeable Panasonic Eneloop battery stores three times as much energy as its AAA sibling. This was enough to steer me away from AAA.

I am carrying the L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219 flashlight. It fits comfortably in the front pocket of my jeans. It uses 1x AA, and has four modes (140, 30, 3, and 0.09 lumens). It uses a reverse-clicky switch, mounted on the tail cap. The current price at SB Flashlights is $34.99. Using the CPF coupon code for SB Flashlights, you can get a 5% discount.

When you say you would like to be able to use "multiple different cells," are you referring to Li-ion variants, such as the 10440? That's a rechargeable 3.7v battery that is the same size as an AAA. It stores roughly the same amount of energy (measured in mWh) as a NiMH battery of the same size.

On some flashlights, 10440 has the advantage of producing higher output. The problem, however, is that the battery is depleted quickly (same energy + more lumens = shorter battery life). As well, a small AAA flashlight can become overheated when running on high.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Are you looking for a light that can use multiple different battery sizes? (AA, AAA, C, CR123, etc.) or just different battery chemistry (Alkaline, Lithium, rechargeable)?
What size (Keychain, clip carry, Holster)? What type of use? (Far reaching but narrow, close and wide, somewhere in between)?

I'd personally start with a AAA sized keychain twistie (not a push button light) since those are easy to carry and are bright enough for most tasks.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi :welcome:

My personal and current favourite, the ArmyTek Prime A1 (pro or non pro), it is surprisingly bright and tough as well. It can use normal alkaline AA cells, NiMH (eneloops) and 14500s.

If you want, get a keychain sized light, the NiteCore Tube.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac D25A is a Titanium light, flexible with AA sized batteries like the 14500. One of our vendors Going Gear has a killer sale on them. They only have 4 left in stock. I ordered one yesterday to go with my D25C. The C runs CR123 sized cells. These are the perfect beginner EDC lights. They have several of them on sale. $39.95 is hard to beat for a quality Titanium from a great seller! Don't focus 100% on price. You need to also calculate service. Going Gear has been a top notch active vendor here for a while. IF you have a problem, or just need help they are here just about every day!

Promo link:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Titanium-Lights-XM-L2-XP-G2-Nichia-219-39-95

Direct Link:
http://goinggear.com/eagletac-d25a-...u2-176-lumen-led-flashlight-2014-version.html

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The check out counter area at Lowes has some Lux-Pro lights between $10 and $40 that run on triple a's and have hi/lo/strobes. Some are fixed beam and some can focus from flood to spot via sliding bezel.

Rubberized casings and a lanyard. Great starter lights for general use.

Now if you need indestructable..Lux-Pro won't cut it.

Back in late spring I gave away a few LP-470 (180 lumen focus-able) models to fellow construction workers for night shift. In mid August all were still using the batteries they came with and had been dropped, dunked, rained on and generally well used.
All still functioned normally.

Latest posts