My first Nichia 219

pulstar

Enlightened
Hello,

i would like to show my first Nichia 219 based and also my first "budget" light. It consists from custom made triple LED dropin (leds are wired parralel to a 1.4A driver with three additional AMC 7135 chips). That gives around 2.3 A max current so each led gets around 800mA. Dropin is beautifully made by member Toaster (who lives only 100km from me:)). The machining tolerances are so small that dropin needs to be hamered out, so there's no problems with overheating:)

Nichia really is one of a kind. With no apparent beam tint it just renders everything naturally. I can really notice excellent color rendering when i shine it to a stack of logs or a forest floor when i can finally see all those shades of brown:) Beam is quite floody even with the tight carclo optic.

L2P is quite good, especially when you consider it's low price. It isn't your top of the line Surefire, but it can be easily compared to original HAII Surefire 6P.

3999.jpg

r3h9.jpg

i9q0.jpg

4l89.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
Stop making me want a triple! All I have is just 1 Nichia 219. What's that put out 500-600 lumens? What mode outputs do you have?

yve3any8.jpg
qu9u9eny.jpg
u9uzehuh.jpg

Steven

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice pics, thanks for sharing. The 219 has by far the best tint and color rendering of any neutral white LED I have had, which are many. Something that really stands out, though, is that light seems to be consistent in both the hotspot and the spill. Quite a few of my Cree neutral white LED's exhibit some different tints between the hotspot, corona, and spill. Also, the Solarforce hosts are nice and very reasonable in pricing, too.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Sipik 58 I modded to use a triple Nichia 219.

It's very small for a triple. 90mm long, 23mm wide at the head, 20mm for the tail and body tube. Reverse clicky with 4 modes (minimum, 1%, 30%, 100%). 3 amp driver with 1 amp per emitter. Runs on one IMR 14500.

The tint is definitely the best of all my lights, though my similarly sized neutral XML2 and neutral triple XPG2 lights blow it away in brightness.

Shooter21

Enlightened
Thanks i love that copper body it gets rid of the heat really fast. To the OP, i love the finish on that drop in.

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
Enjoy that 219. Once you go 219 it's hard to go back to anything else. It's nice to have a High Cri that shows natural colors and doesn't make them look yellow or orange. I was very surprised how it renders colors amazingly well and can even show white without distorting the white.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a quad 219 mule shown in my avatar and it kicks ***.

I would estimate more than 40% of those lumens are being lost in the head. You really need an 10622 optic. You'll get a nice big wide spotlight beam.

Toaster79

Enlightened
Drive current is actually 2.57A with NCR18650A fresh off the charger.

Thanks for sharing and hope you love it :D

Last edited by a moderator:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 219s really are nice, aren't they? They're actually a fairly high color temp compared to an incan but the light ends up feeling warm and inviting due to the nice color rendering and makes an only slightly higher color temp "regular" Cree LED seem cold and stark by comparison.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would estimate more than 40% of those lumens are being lost in the head. You really need an 10622 optic. You'll get a nice big wide spotlight beam.

would a 10622 drop right in just fine to a quad nichia mule? I have vinh's and would be interested just to see this. any idea if it'll fit still with regards to the bezel lens, etc?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
would a 10622 drop right in just fine to a quad nichia mule? I have vinh's and would be interested just to see this. any idea if it'll fit still with regards to the bezel lens, etc?

If the PCB was from cutter then yeah it should be fine.

pulstar

Enlightened
Stop making me want a triple! All I have is just 1 Nichia 219. What's that put out 500-600 lumens? What mode outputs do you have?

Steven

Dropin is L-M-H-strobe-SOS with last mode memory. It's not the best, but stil manageable as an EDC:) To be honest, i don't know exact numbers, but based on experience it should be around 500 lumens.