My new red P7 Maglite !Update 7.8.08!

Re: My new red P7 Maglite

I think the best way to drive the P7 is a bruck driver. You will get very high current flow when you are using a boost driver which is not very good for the batteries.

With that much current every milliohm of resistance in the maglite will reduce the voltage.

I think the best way to drive the P7 is a bruck driver. You will get very high current flow when you are using a boost driver which is not very good for the batteries.

With that much current every milliohm of resistance in the maglite will reduce the voltage.

Very True. It also lets you up the battery voltage and draw less than 2.8 amps.

Question for you. I have one of thee LED's on order and am going to build a bike light from it. What chip are you using for the Buck converter?
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM3401.html

THanks

Where can I purchase one of these drivers that you've recommended? Thank you in advance. :D

It is a self made drive so you can't buy them ^^

But I'll make some and offer them here. The efficiency of the driver is about 80% under high load and average conditions. The maximum efficiency I reached is 85%. The efficiency was measured on the old version.

I have already find some mistakes in the calculations of the components. I am currently building up the second version with the corrected component values and I hope I can get an even better efficiency.

How many people would be interested in this driver?

Last edited:

i'll take two and this driver in voltage could be between 3.6 to 14.4 volts even better so we could use two 3.6 li-ion's in a 2D would be great

@DodC: The driver drives the P7 only with minimum voltage difference of 2V.
So you need at least 5,5V. The driver works under this voltage but not stable. It will flicker.

I'm actually using 2 li ion in my red P7 mag and it works fine.

@f22shift:
the beam will become one single big square with rounded edges

that's fine i'll take two if not four pending price? these will be a big sell for you :thumbsup:
what is the Diameter and height of the Mrk 2 ? what's the upper in voltage limit two or three or four ? li-ion's make this the most flexable driver out there at the moment:twothumbs

cheers DocD

Last edited:

" if not four pending price?"
what do you mean with four?

The diameter is 32mm.
the height wil be arount 17mm, I think.

The first version has a diameter of 34mm and a hight of 27mm just for comparison

Just as I said before the upper limit will be 2V under the input voltage.
The max input voltage will be around 20V, maybe 25V.
So you can calculate with 18V output

I don't think it will be a big sale since I can't make that much...

Last edited:

" if not four pending price?"
what do you mean with four?

Oh i see :eek: i mean i'll take four if your price not to high for me
and this all depends on how many driver you will make?
but i'll take two for sure just tell me were to send the money:grin2:
cheers DocD

I am! It saves me the design and layout time. Either in kit or assembled form.

Thank you in advance! I am buildiung a bike light with this

Last edited:

And these drivers have a very important label: "Made in Germany"!!! ;)

I have build up the second version now and it works fine.

I have just placed the order at digikey for the components :thumbsup:

Hi,
it could fit with some filing into the batterytube of my old Mag C which has a larger diameter than the newer C models.
I don't know if it can fit into the newer models but it's sure that it can't be placed under the heatsink because there is not enough space between heatsink and switch

Last edited: