Neat household MacGyver tricks you've learned

Poppy

Flashaholic
Can anyone suggest a trick to get rid of fruit flies? A family member has them, and there is no obvious attraction such as exposed ripe/overripe fruit or vegetables.

Put some cider vinegar in a saucer, a couple drops of dish soap, they will fall into it and drown.

To get rid of them, you need to clean up the source of rotting fruit/veggie. We had them real bad and found a bag of acorn squash we forgot about in the basement.
The vinegar suggestion or red wine should help get rid of the ones you already have.

My understanding is that they come into the house as eggs on the fruit or vegetables, and over time hatch into flies. So you should wash off your fruit, and perhaps vegetables before storing them.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
The vinegar suggestion or red wine should help get rid of the ones you already have.

My understanding is that they come into the house as eggs on the fruit or vegetables, and over time hatch into flies. So you should wash off your fruit, and perhaps vegetables before storing them.
Thanks, I will pass these ideas on!

Outdoors, I recall using dish of water with dish soap to control earwigs. Soap breaks down their outer waterproof coating and they sink/drown; similar for fruit flies I suspect. Earwigs have not been such a problem here recently for whatever reason(s).

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think flies are really Klingons. The moment I pick up the swatter, they go into cloak mode. The moment I sit down, there they are again.
What I find generally doesn't work is fly zapping swatters, they always seem to dodge the racket. Same with garden lights with UV LED(s) and high-voltage grid. I had one and it managed to kill a few mosquitoes, but I managed to get a (minor) jolt when picking it up.

Dave

DRW

Enlightened
The dish soap is a surfactant that decreases the surface tension of the liquid.

They could be Klingons.

donn_

Flashaholic
This is more like a Mr. Magoo (can we still say "Mr."?) household trick, but . . .
If, like me, you smoked anything that would burn for over 50 years, AND inhaled Agent Orange when you were a yoot, you are probably wrangling an O2 hose which is getting more and more recalcitrant as the weather cools.

Take that kinky sucker and put it in a delicate items bag, and run it through the dryer, on low, with a few dry towels, for about 15 minutes. Then remove it and promptly stretch it out, untwisting it, gently.

You'll be dazzled with how nicely it behaves after the treatment.

No charge. I'll be here, off and on, all weekend.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This is more like a Mr. Magoo (can we still say "Mr."?) household trick, but . . .
If, like me, you smoked anything that would burn for over 50 years, AND inhaled Agent Orange when you were a yoot, you are probably wrangling an O2 hose which is getting more and more recalcitrant as the weather cools.

Take that kinky sucker and put it in a delicate items bag, and run it through the dryer, on low, with a few dry towels, for about 15 minutes. Then remove it and promptly stretch it out, untwisting it, gently.

You'll be dazzled with how nicely it behaves after the treatment.

No charge. I'll be here, off and on, all weekend.
I am sorry to hear about your need for an O2 line. Nice tip though. Does this also work for tangled phone handset cords?

donn_

Flashaholic
My Mother told me not to smoke . . . she was right . . . and I volunteered for Agent Orange, so it's all my own fault.

The last corded telephone handset I used was a Princess, and its handset was permanently kinky.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
This in the form of a question, does anyone know any good/ingenious uses for shells from nuts i.e walnuts, almonds, pecans etc. I just got a few bags at after-Xmas clearance and the nutcracker has been busy. Shells could go to compost or "green bin" pickup here, just thought to check first.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast

The red wine suggested worked great, thanks for this! Fruities be gone with ye' !

Dave

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This in the form of a question, does anyone know any good/ingenious uses for shells from nuts i.e walnuts, almonds, pecans etc. I just got a few bags at after-Xmas clearance and the nutcracker has been busy. Shells could go to compost or "green bin" pickup here, just thought to check first.

Dave
Burns really well. Don't overload the fire box though. I usually get a fire going then pile it on scrap shipping filler paper or an egg carton to place in the stove.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Dave
Walnut shells contain a sugar that doesn't play nice with some plants and trees. Best not to compost those.

You can however donate them to a local scouting troop who can use them as camp fire starters.

PewPewPew

Newly Enlightened

Dave
If you have a grinder you can turn them into abrasive tumbling media for polishing rifle and pistol brass.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_2937.jpeg

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a grinder you can turn them into abrasive tumbling media for polishing rifle and pistol brass.
No guns to polish, no fireplace or open pit etc. here. Good suggestions though. Maybe I could put the shells outside for squirrels, that would drive them "nuts"!

Dave

PewPewPew

Newly Enlightened
No guns to polish, no fireplace or open pit etc. here. Good suggestions though. Maybe I could put the shells outside for squirrels, that would drive them "nuts"!

Dave
They will eventually break down into dirt. I have used cracked pecan shells in the bottom part of my potted plants to help with drainage. Eventually it decomposes.

Latest posts