Need a flashlight for work

ls1ssws6

Newly Enlightened
ok im getting the m30 but i want to get the rechargable cr123a batteries, all im finding is the 2 port battery charger which would be pretty dumb since the flashlight uses 3 batteries...do you guys know where i can get a 3 or 4 port charger? also the cheapest place to find a new m30?
thanks

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to use rechargeables, then I would really suggest using 18650s. They have higher capacity than 2 RCR123s, and are easier to charge.

ls1ssws6

Newly Enlightened
If you want to use rechargeables, then I would really suggest using 18650s. They have higher capacity than 2 RCR123s, and are easier to charge.

it looks like the 18650s will only work with the extended tube. I am trying to keep the light as small as possible. Am i missing something? Can the 18650s be used with the regular tube?

Toaster

Enlightened
Don't use RCR123s. If you don't want to use the cell extender fit 2x 18500 cells instead. You can order them direct from AW in his sale thread.

Toaster

Enlightened
CR123s are perfectly fine if you don't mind the cost. The reason I said don't use RCR123s is that runtime on max seems to be pretty dismal. Only 19min on 3xRCR123 versus 66 minutes on 2x18500 and 81 minutes on CR123 according to Selfbuilt's review.

ls1ssws6

Newly Enlightened
well i did it...read the review and decided to go ahead with the m30. Just ordered the m30 and the ultrafire 18500 protected batteries with charger from batteryjunction and added on 2-3 day shipping ;) cant wait for it to come in!

bkumanski

Enlightened
Dunno about you, but I carry my light in my sap pocket. The M30 looks great...except for that switch end. It will tear up your pants after a few weeks. I carried the Inova T4 for several years. It is rechargable and just the right size. Problem is it now has a three way switch, kinda clumsy for what we do. Strobe is worthless as well. Ever try using it in the dark against a suspect and you will get it just as bad and it will screw up your vision. NOT GOOD! If you do get a light with strobe, you will find you never use it in a real tactical situation.

I carry an Eagle Tac T10C2 now, and sometimes (when I know I need more light) my DBS MC-E (however I am looking for a better replacement). Things to consider are rechargability (can the batteries be charged in the light). Inova T4 and Pelican (LAPD model) are lights like this. Personally, I don't mind pulling the batteries out to charge, but it is something to consider for a light you will use every day. Also, if you department alows it, get a tactical light for your gun. Streamlight makes a decent one for about $100 that is 200 lumens. That is more than enough for the distances you will be pointing the gun. It also frees up your other hand. I am considering the Tiablo ACE-G (bright as hell and only one mode: ON) I also have a Spear, but never use it. In my opinion, throw is not what we use most, get a floody beam. Olight M20 is a very good light and two of my partners have them. The M30 is tempting (great beam, perfect for LE) but that bottom is keeping me from trying it. I'm sure it feels good in the hands, but we can't be repairing uniforms every few weeks or cramming it into a holster it doesn't really fit well into.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth.:D

ls1ssws6

Newly Enlightened
Dunno about you, but I carry my light in my sap pocket. The M30 looks great...except for that switch end. It will tear up your pants after a few weeks. I carried the Inova T4 for several years. It is rechargable and just the right size. Problem is it now has a three way switch, kinda clumsy for what we do. Strobe is worthless as well. Ever try using it in the dark against a suspect and you will get it just as bad and it will screw up your vision. NOT GOOD! If you do get a light with strobe, you will find you never use it in a real tactical situation.

I carry an Eagle Tac T10C2 now, and sometimes (when I know I need more light) my DBS MC-E (however I am looking for a better replacement). Things to consider are rechargability (can the batteries be charged in the light). Inova T4 and Pelican (LAPD model) are lights like this. Personally, I don't mind pulling the batteries out to charge, but it is something to consider for a light you will use every day. Also, if you department alows it, get a tactical light for your gun. Streamlight makes a decent one for about $100 that is 200 lumens. That is more than enough for the distances you will be pointing the gun. It also frees up your other hand. I am considering the Tiablo ACE-G (bright as hell and only one mode: ON) I also have a Spear, but never use it. In my opinion, throw is not what we use most, get a floody beam. Olight M20 is a very good light and two of my partners have them. The M30 is tempting (great beam, perfect for LE) but that bottom is keeping me from trying it. I'm sure it feels good in the hands, but we can't be repairing uniforms every few weeks or cramming it into a holster it doesn't really fit well into.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth.:D

i hear everything your saying, but im not gonna put the light in my pants pocket, im gonna get a holder for it and clip it onto my rig, and get rid of the useless OC spray they give us :poke: As far as strobe and not needing it, well i walk a footbeat right now and sometimes i want to get cars attention to pull them over but they dont see me and keep rolling, with the strobe i can hit their car and they know what the deal is, if they dont, they will get the ticket in the mail :twothumbs

And our department wont let us get lights on our guns which is really stupid, but maybe they will change that in time. We also arent allowed to get into "pursuits" with cars for anything unless its a forcable felony which blows, but again im walking a footbeat lol

cant wait for this light to come in

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
wow. someone actually chose a light i was first to mention/suggest! *great feeling*

it seems i am actually starting to make sense at times!

hope M30 is the right one for you and does what you need it to do.

(further advice: would be smart to get an smaller and lighter pocket carry backup light too. not every lighting task needs a "heavy" club. :) )

bkumanski

Enlightened
wow. someone actually chose a light i was first to mention/suggest! *great feeling*

(further advice: would be smart to get an smaller and lighter pocket carry backup light too. not every lighting task needs a "heavy" club. :) )

So true. A smaller light in the pocket is the way to go. (you never know when you will be stuck with a light on for hours and wish you had another!) I hope the M30 works for you, I am tempted to try it. A for a smaller backup, I LOVE my EagleTac T10C2. Bright when you need it, but the low is still 80-100 lumens and will run for hours. Plus it is very small and fits right in the pocket. Good luck with the new job (Don't get the pursuit thing though :sigh:) Out here, people would run all the time if we had that restriction.

loanshark

Enlightened
Cano - Can you explain how you do momentary with the D10?

I can, but so we don't jack this thread I'll send it to you in a pm.

To the OP, it sounds like you found your light, but I thought I'd mention another just in case... The Fenix LD20 or LD10 would also be good choices, maybe for backup... With the head fully tightened the light becomes a two mode light Turbo/ Strobe. You get a lifetime warranty if you purchase them @ 4sevens.com. Use discount code CPF8, I think it gets you 8% off. No relationship other than a satisfied customer...

Last edited:

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
i hear everything your saying, but im not gonna put the light in my pants pocket, im gonna get a holder for it and clip it onto my rig, and get rid of the useless OC spray they give us :poke: As far as strobe and not needing it, well i walk a footbeat right now and sometimes i want to get cars attention to pull them over but they dont see me and keep rolling, with the strobe i can hit their car and they know what the deal is, if they dont, they will get the ticket in the mail :twothumbs

And our department wont let us get lights on our guns which is really stupid, but maybe they will change that in time. We also arent allowed to get into "pursuits" with cars for anything unless its a forcable felony which blows, but again im walking a footbeat lol

You're in Florida aren't you??? Thats the only place I know has a pretty strong no pursuit policy. My department finally decided to let all officers have weapon lights on out duty guns other than swat and k9. I have been trying for years to get that changed(actually used one anyways). It's amazing how departments hold us back as officers when it comes to out equipment. I have the surefire x300 and love it. Most officers have the Streamlight. We have been having problems with some of the guys not tightening the streamlights down and the come off during our range inservices. If they ever let you have weaponlights get the surefire!!!!!

ls1ssws6

Newly Enlightened

i appreciate you tellin me bout the m30 it seems like the PERFECT light for me it has everything i will need, if you didnt mention it i would have never found it :thumbsup:

So true. A smaller light in the pocket is the way to go. (you never know when you will be stuck with a light on for hours and wish you had another!) I hope the M30 works for you, I am tempted to try it. A for a smaller backup, I LOVE my EagleTac T10C2. Bright when you need it, but the low is still 80-100 lumens and will run for hours. Plus it is very small and fits right in the pocket. Good luck with the new job (Don't get the pursuit thing though :sigh:) Out here, people would run all the time if we had that restriction.

I just spent 170 on the light and batteries and charger i think i have to wait to get a backup light for right now lol hopefully the m30 makes me happy till i can get a backup

And the pursuit thing, the criminals know that we cant chase unless its something violent so they take off every chance they get, we just have to find a way around it I.E. "i am "following" a car at such and such streets" with no stress in the voice and make it sound like its not a pursuit so the command doesnt break it off, also if its late at night and theres no kids or anything out they usually dont break it off. OR you can just pursue until they bail THEN get on the radio saying whatever lol articulation is the key :twothumbs

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

The first part is dumb... but can you attach a weaponlight with a quick-release when needed and remove it when not? It may just be a problem with finding retention holsters for lighted guns - even normal holsters are hard to come by.

Second part is just recognizing reality - good luck keeping up with that car on foot, even if you have a gold medal for track.