Need a Light for the Boy.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD10 and traffic wand.

Luka_the_young_padawan.gif

Awesome! Such a young age yet he's already learned the dual-wield lightsaber technique! The force is strong with that one.

:grin2:

That looks like great fun for a kid, by the way

:thumbsup:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL ..... my two year old boy loves playing with my lights
only problem is that he likes aiming the light into his eyes :shakehead
So what I did was give him his own "modified" light, tri-Cree
Mag 2C Maxflex .... set on the lowest output plus auto shutoff
and I covered the lens with a piece of white plastic card to further
reduce the brightness.

Now whenever he loses a toy, out comes the light and he starts
searching under the bed, behind the couch, under the cupboards ... you get the idea :D

umc

Enlightened
++++++111111111 come on guys 123 cells are safe! People worry WAY to much on this subject.Yes there have been a very few problems with them but how many? not enough to even worry about.Tell u what not to hijack this thread but how many ppl out there have had a light just blow on them do to 123 issues?

I thought the main issue was using mis-matched cells together? That was one of the reasons I was looking for a single cell 123 light.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
Lights with 2 cells of any sort are more likely to cause problems -- lithium more so because they are lithium -- but single cell should work fine.

Look at http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-19-41-...d-focusing-flashlight-with-1-aaa-battery.aspx ($18.00; forward clicky)

45 lumens. It focuses but you can put tape on the head and tail to keep him from unscrewing it and losing the pieces until he's old enough to understand what to do with that, and the rubber clicky cover is flush so it's less of a chewing hazard, and it's not reall heavy. At the price it's not a calamity if it gets lost or busted, but is still a 'real' light, will give him lots of pleasure, and might even last him quite a few years.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is crazy and alarmist. Everyone knows that 123's are perfectly safe in a high quality light, using high quality batteries. If OP wants 123's let him have 123's.

until the 19 month old works out how to open the light, remove the battery and use it to hammer or chew it.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Originally Posted by Waddup:
until the 19 month old works out how to open the light, remove the battery and use it to hammer or chew it.
BIG +1 All kids at this age put things in their mouth. That's how they explore the world. That's the basis for Freud naming the first 18-24 months of a child's life the Oral Stage of development. Kids older than this still put things in their mouths too.

Anak

Newly Enlightened
... He will also likely do something with it that no one over the age of 10 would ever imagine. That's what little kids are best at.

I recall a flashlight on the market about 20 years ago, I think "Mightylight" was the brand, but I could be wrong about that...but it had a lifetime warranty with three exceptions: Shark bite, bear attack and children under the age of 6.

I kid you not. That was what it said on the product packaging.

Having 3 boys under the age of six I can confirm the prudence of such an exclusion.

My children have discovered product features I never dreamed were in my home. Some of them I don't think the designers dreamed of either.:shakehead

I think if I were to place a flashlight in the unsupervised hands of any one of my boys I would want to first locktite all the threads. Seriously.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
Hey, AKOray has that CR123 model with programmable modes right?
Just program all modes to low?

AKOray has a very stiff button -- he might have to struggle a lot to turn it on -- some of the members here complain that they do.

I also wonder what happens to a cr123 in a light if you bang the light on something hard and long enough -- maybe you could damage the cell inside.

Or what happens if you set the light on an electric heater? When I was three I was sick in bed and found out I could melt crayons in the steamer and on the light bulb in the lamp (I don't think I set it on fire, though -- just a lot of smoke). (There was also a little kid in the hospital when I was ten --screaming in another room. The nurse said he stuck a crayon up his nose. (I wonder if you can fit an AAA flashlight up your nose, and how that would look in the mirror?)

Never underestimate what mayhem a little kid can cause or the creative ways he can damage himself -- in nothing flat when you aren't looking.

Egsise

Banned
I just tried to put a flashlight in to a keep2go tube, ZL H50 was the only one that fitted in the tube.

But the idea, single AA or AAA light in a tube that no kid can brake or open(at least not easily).

tattoosteve99

Newly Enlightened
If everyone is so worried about the batteries, then just use a little nail polish on the tail cap. Chances are that the battery will run out before the nail polish comes off. Or use a little blue locktite, a little harder to get off but it works. Also with nail polish remover it will clean up nice!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
All small things in the UK including many toys have a warning not suitable for age 36 months and younger.

I think he is just to young for a proper flashlight.Maybe something big and bright that both of you can share together.

Old story my dog never bites but there always is a first time,would hate to see him swallow something he should not or stumble and break a tooth on these hard lights,toddlers stumble and bump all day long plus they like throwing things,large screen tv,s are not cheap.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My suggestion is one of those PlaySkool lights made for little kids. They have an "off" timer that is essential plus internal red and green selectable filters. The 2C battery compartment needs a screwdriver. This is probably the only light your wife is going to allow junior to have on his own. I assume they are still available.

Geoff

tolkaze

Enlightened
I know it doesn't fit your requirements at all, but my daughter (now almost 4) was given a disney princess energiser light. its an AA type light with a side slide button with momentary on. I ditched the incan globe, and put in a 4D magled module. It runs at maybe 20 - 30 lumens for a hell of a long time. Direct drive, probably goes down to 4 or 5 lumens after a couple of days always on.

Bit of fine sandpaper on the plastic lens, and its a good diffuse beam she can't hurt herself with.

You can even put two 14500's in there and make it about 180L but that is just a bit reckless hehe.

Anyways, she loves the light, and always uses it to "read" at night, and to check on the dogs when we are at grandpa's place

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old story my dog never bites but there always is a first time,would hate to see him swallow something he should not or stumble and break a tooth on these hard lights,toddlers stumble and bump all day long plus they like throwing things,large screen tv,s are not cheap.
I agree, too young for a light at 19 months. A small light will end up in a nose, mouth, or ear, and a large light will get thrown or dropped.

I would wait a couple years before giving him a light. ;)

notsofast

Enlightened
Above all don't let him read this thread! lol

Guide him to follow his fathers foot steps. Get him a kids light and and RA clicky.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howabout a Jet I Pro EX v2? 2xAA, you can program all 3 modes to whatever level you think is suitable and its a pretty tough light too. 2xAA might be easier for him to hold and harder for him to lose as well. with the "CPFJET" discount it comes to less than $60. (i just checked)

If you want a budget option, the Romisen RC N3 IIs (Q5/warm white) are pretty decent lights as well as having the option to run in 1xCR123/RCR123 configuration.

Last edited:

Latest posts