Need a two stage light

tadbik

Enlightened
I'm seriously considering the JetBeam JET-IM Tactical FlashLight. It would be a compromise but at least I can be sure of max power by tightening the head. Also I like the design. Something different.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Still looking if you have more.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Only 500 lumens

I'm not sure what type of law enforcement you do, but in my experience from multiple different types of tactical situations, I have never needed more than 500 lumens. Even searching big empty warehouses and outdoor tracking through woods, I have never needed more.

tadbik

Enlightened
I'm seriously looking at the Klarus 360 models. They can be programmed for one touch turbo and one touch low.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy cheap buy twice!

Bite the bullet and get yourself a Malkoff M91T MD3 or MD4 (with the optional High/Low switch) 750 continuous lumens for 1.5 hours on 2 x 18500's or 2.75 hours on 2 x 18650's.

Slight twist of the head takes it down to a useful 25 lumens, which is great for close up stuff.

I favor the MD3 as a Duty belt light, small enough to carry 24/7 but packs a big punch!

If you need to stick to 1 x 18650 then have a close look at the Malkoff M61Hot MD2, with the optional High/Low switch, which agin work by slightly loosening the head.

Stay safe! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

cp2315

Enlightened
PFlexPro has some options for you. Any of the solarforce L2P, convoy C8 or M1 with advanced program will meet your requirements and then some.
With the advanced program ability, you can easily set modes to your like. Google PFlexPro up.

Keitho

Enlightened
For a true tactical light, Acebeam L16 has a rear button that is turbo mode, every time, all the time, no matter what. The side button lets you access lower modes--click on, click off, hold down to cycle modes; it comes back on in the mode you left it in. Too big for a pants or shirt pocket, perfect for a holster.

For something that will be in a pocket, maybe a latest-generation Zebralight fits the bill. You can program them to come on at any level, and cycle through different mode groups if you want. For cycling, I have one programmed to come on at ~900 lumens, and switch to ~200 lumens with a double click. I made it a 2-mode light; but, you can make the modes whatever you want (I have another ZL set up as a 1-mode light for my wife, and others set up as 6-mode lights). For the OP's situation, I might program it to come on in "traffic stop" mode every single time, but access the highest mode on double click.

tadbik

Enlightened
Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. A lot to research!

As any good flashaholic I have a number of lights. Many, after using them in the field have been given away to colleagues. Still looking for that one light that's going to be a goto.

I do feel that, in theory, the Klarus 360x3 or 369x1 is a good option. As for quality, I have two Klarus lights. They've never stopped working and you can't beat them for value for money.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

tadbik

Enlightened
PFlexPro has some options for you. Any of the solarforce L2P, convoy C8 or M1 with advanced program will meet your requirements and then some.
With the advanced program ability, you can easily set modes to your like. Google PFlexPro up.

Re. This company. I definitely have to research this. Never heard of them. Maybe to many options and choices to make. Are there any reviews here on CPF?

tadbik

Enlightened
To those asking if 18650 is a must. In my country CR123a batteries are $10 EACH! Nuff said?

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Re. This company. I definitely have to research this. Never heard of them. Maybe to many options and choices to make. Are there any reviews here on CPF?

Randy at Pflex has always been very responsive to questions via email whenever I have interacted with him. Drop him a line. Basically he uses (mostly) Convoy hosts and installs his own fully potted electronics and programmable drivers. I've used and abused one of his Convoy S2 builds for a while now and it never skipped a beat. I'm not sure about reviews here but he does has a very good reputation.

tadbik

Enlightened
Randy at Pflex has always been very responsive to questions via email whenever I have interacted with him. Drop him a line. Basically he uses (mostly) Convoy hosts and installs his own fully potted electronics and programmable drivers. I've used and abused one of his Convoy S2 builds for a while now and it never skipped a beat. I'm not sure about reviews here but he does has a very good reputation.

I'm more interested in what it does and not how it does it [emoji2957]

tadbik

Enlightened
I've ordered the Klarus 360x1.

To sum up: I know that there are more bomb proof flashlights but I'm not sure I subscribe to the "buy for the next ten years" concept. The fact is, I'll probably want to buy a new light in a year or two. Technology will have improved with longer run times and more powerful beam. Probably progammable from a smart phone! The Klarus is $80 with a battery and shipping. If it serves me for the next 5 years I'll be happy!

Thanks again for the ideas.

tadbik

Enlightened
Received the light and set it up in outdoor mode and it performs as advertised. The main switch on high and the outer ring on low. The rubber switches are a bit stiff but will probably loosen up. Not sure how secure the lanyard is as it connects to the pocket clip that can be removed. A good pull on the lanyard will probably pull the clip off the light. Would have preferred a more stable anchor point. Overall good value for money.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Check out jetbeam bc25, bc25gt. Maybe even the bc20. I think they're almost exactly what you're lookind for.
Do you remember how Jetbeam bc25gt charges? When the charging led light is green is it still charging or is it done?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk