Need advice.....Got burned.

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
400 dollars is a lot of money to some. It is to me. Easy to tell someone to let it go when it isn't food off your table.

Again this notion that since this is family they get a free pass....if anything they should be held to a higher standard in how they treat each other.

Love and kindness are not flowing in the blood...they are in our actions. I'll take a friend who is good an honorable over a deadbeat 'relative' any day.

Good luck.

darkhanger18

Newly Enlightened
First off Benchmade, I'm sorry, I've gotten burned like this by "family" not plesent. Like others have said, I would write them a letter stating that you want payment by a certain date, otherwise it would be setteled in court. I sold a car to a cousin for $2000, only saw $500 :ohgeez: about 5 months later it was back in my driveway :) Long story short, if they dont pay up, take it back, its yours, and you deserve whats yours.

DM51

Flashaholic
Is there any other family member whose support you could call on? Your parents or grandparents, maybe? It would be easier to tackle your aunt & uncle if you had another "senior" family member on your side giving you support.

This is an unpleasant illustration of how difficult things can be within a family when money is involved. Your aunt and uncle are behaving very badly and it may take someone of their own generation to make them see that.

The quad-bike remains your property until they have paid the agreed amount in full.

Glen C

Enlightened
Benchmade, speak to either your father or mother aboout this (whichever one is related to the aunty/uncle) they would be better placed than us to give advice on this. If there advice doesn't work/isn't to your liking, then get advice from here.

lukestephens777

Enlightened
With family stuff it's always tricky!

IMHO i think you might be best to leave it... Or just pack a bag and tent and camp in their front yard, until they have enough and pay you to leave!

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go get it back.

They can't claim proof of purchase for it, I assume you can in any form better then them, correct ?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe how many people are suggesting dropping the matter just because they're family. That kind of thinking is completely beyond my comprehension. Like Sejvaar said, the only special consideration family should get is that family should be held to a HIGHER standard than a stranger.

If I wouldn't like or trust someone if they weren't family, I see absolutely no reason to like or trust them just because they ARE family.

Good luck. :buddies:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would in person ask to make a written plan on repayment. If they refuse tell them the moneys payed will be considered rental costs, and that you are repoing the ATV. Then ebay/craigslist. Even if it goes for less than the remaining $410 you are out you will at least have recovered some $$$ and made the statement that you are not a doormat.

coontai

Newly Enlightened

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Glen - ask your father or mother for help in dealing with their sibling. If your father or mother is the older sibling, even better. Don't try to go it alone.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, thanks for all the advice. Maybe I will just put this as a lessoned learned and move on. Next time I will either have it in writing or just have the full amount in hand. I was thinking about repoing it but I dont have 390 to pay them to repo it, But like Jumpmaster siad it should be the same amount as renting it.

DM

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way... Two issues, if the vehicle is still in your name--you are not repossessing it--just ending the loan of the vehicle.

Second, if the vehicle is still in your (or your parents') name--Immediately report the sale to your local DMV. You or your parents will be held responsible for tickets/accidents/or worst.

Many times, people with "buy" a vehicle and never change the ownership/registration so that they can skate on tickets and liability. This even happened to my father when he gave to one of those "donate a car to crippled children" foundations. For 6 months he was getting bridge toll skips/fines from 500 miles away (and he had mailed the DMV vehicle transfer notice).

Never give up the keys to anyone unless you have a bill of sale with their address and signature and money (should be cash) in your hand.

Do not lend a vehicle to anyone unless they have their own insurance. Probably every state now has a law on the books that the person has to have evidence of insurance certificate either in their wallet or in their glove box.

Don't feel sorry if you tell somebody that they cannot borrow your vehicle without insurance. It is your responsibility and you will be held liable if anything happens with your vehicle.

-Bill

PS: I vote with don't take the vehicle back--unfortunately, $500 is a relatively cheap lesson that will be helpful later in life. -BB

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
Ahhhhh, sticky situation, another example of dont do buisness with family or friends...Situations like this accure way to often with alot of people...If I were in your situation I woudl ask them for it back since they did not pay you for it completely....

Everyones family is different though, for example My family and I are very close to my fathers side, but my mothers side of the family are all...well lets just say we dont talk much...So if it was a deal with close fmaily thats different but if its with family you dont get along with I wouldn't feel bad about giving them an ultimatum (I dont think thats spelled right, lol) But you know what I mean, pay up or give it back...

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
$400 is a very small price to pay, for figuring out the character of your aunt and uncle.

Just write it off... or go and get it but be prepared for the fall out (i.e. family strife).

As far as I'm concerned, you're already ahead.

ckthorp

Newly Enlightened
Datasaurusrex said:
$400 is a very small price to pay, for figuring out the character of your aunt and uncle.

The more important lesson is to remember this down the road. They may try to pay you back but then ask for some huge favor worth well beyond the $410 in exchange...

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
I say one of the people telling you to forget the 400 bucks should send it to you since it is apparently such a bargain. At least they could all pitch in and that way none of them would be out the measly 400 individually. :)

Last edited:

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
As soon as i heard "They said it wasn't worth the $800 they AGREED to pay" then its REPO time. Go get it. And sell it again to someone who has all the money up front.

Friends don't let friends sell to family members. :popcorn:

:twothumbs

iNDiGLo

lukus

Enlightened
When you're 17, $400 is not a little sum. I wouldn't give it up so quickly. Give them a firm date. If it's not settled by that date, then repo it when they're at work. They've already shown their character, so they'll be mad and demand their money back, 'how dare you cheat them'. If you feel like you want to give it back (or some portion over rent), then tell them they'll get it AFTER you've sold it, minus any shortfall (e.g., you sell it for $50 less than what was originally agreed with them, so they get $50 less, that way you're not out the loss).

The burden shouldn't be on you to drop this for the "families" sake. They are the ones that are being jerks. The "family" should be backing you, and pushing them to do the right thing.

It's not about family, it's about trust. I have a sister that stole quite a bit of stuff from me a few years ago. It was stored temporarily in my old room at my mother's house while I was in the midst of moving. A Sheridan 5mm airgun and several .22s, among other things. Her attitude at the time was that it must have been someone else, and besides, I hadn't used most of that stuff in a while anyway so why do I care? (an example of her logic). She acts like it never happened now, but the trust is gone. More importantly, I'll probably never really go out of my way to help her in the future. It's the unfortunate lasting effect of her actions.