Need advice.....Got burned.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
You gotta ask yourself 2 questions.

1. Is the fallout from it worth it?
2. Is the price you paid for the lesson too much?

No one can answer for you, but every action has a consequence, and everything has a price.

Good luck, and remeber a complete stranger paid a much higher price for you.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Diesel_Bomber said:
I can't believe how many people are suggesting dropping the matter just because they're family. That kind of thinking is completely beyond my comprehension. Like Sejvaar said, the only special consideration family should get is that family should be held to a HIGHER standard than a stranger.

If I wouldn't like or trust someone if they weren't family, I see absolutely no reason to like or trust them just because they ARE family.

One does not drop it for the benefit of the cheating aunt and uncle. One might drop it to preserve peace in the family. The aunt/uncle is a sibling to either the mother or father of the victim. I would rather eat the loss than cause my mom to get into a fight with her brother.

I did not say to trust family, but I did imply that it is never good to fight with family over material things.

Moving on to other general situations....

On the other hand, some relatives are just not quite capable of carrying out promises. Good heart and all that but no financial sense. They think they can pay you back, but if they were that good with money they could get a bank loan and would not borrow from you. These are the ones I sometimes give a break to.

On the subject of $400 being a lot for a teenager....
Yes, it is. I loaned a sibling $500 when I was 15. That amount represented a whole summer of working. That's when I learned the lesson that I mentioned above. If you are smart, you will never let yourself hate a sibling just because of money. Other reasons, maybe, but not just money.

Daniel

tradderran

Newly Enlightened
Take the Bums to Court. Family smanly when it comes to money. Go
after your money. They don't have the right to deiced what it is
worth after the sale. If you were my son Ether my brother or my brother in
law. Would be toting a a$$ whopping.:mecry: and you would get your 4 wheeler back
These people sound like Bums. To cheat a Young person is wrong to start with
much less Family. Get your money. you don't need family like that.

knot

Banned
I can't believe how many people are suggesting dropping the matter just because they're family. That kind of thinking is completely beyond my comprehension. Like Sejvaar said, the only special consideration family should get is that family should be held to a HIGHER standard than a stranger.

Exactly, it's beyond my comprehension as well.

knot

Banned
While technically correct, I've been in court several times and have observed some really perverse outcomes. The judges have to listen to lots of conflicting stories and then guess who's lying. They often use a "split the difference" tactic, leaving the wronged party with less than they deserve. I've seen that 3 times so far in cases where I knew the facts.

Daniel

Yes, that can happen when the plaintiff is ill-prepared. The plaintiff must be armed with dates, pictures, notes, quotes, and witnesses - if there are any. The one who presents the best, most prepared case, usually wins.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
As you can read....there is no "one ideal answer." I have run into this lending money to family members. One never paid it back, and it damaged our relationship to this day. The other which was $8,000 for an emergency required me to keep bugging them, and eventually got sick of my asking all the time, and paid it back. It took almost 5 years more than they promised...but I got it paid back (without as much as a thank you or any interest paid).

Another strategy (which is not likely you would want to do...but just another idea to consider)....go over and visit them. On your way out, "borrow" something that has a value of several hundred dollars, or something of sentimental value. It might make them aware of how their actions impacted you...and may result in them paying what they ow you in return for the borrowed item.

goldenlight

Enlightened
Commando mission. Go get it.

Luigi

If you can't take it back, and let's face it: going to court over $410 is a GIANT PITA; I'd make sure they couldn't use it.

Take off...about $410 worth of parts. The cylinder head, for sure. Brake parts would be good. Other relatively small, expensive, and easily removed parts.

Tell the @ssholes they'll get the parts back when you get your $410, (plus interest; 2 years worth).

In other words, if you can't get your money, and you may not, GET EVEN!

They screwed you over. If you can't get your money, return the favor.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take off...about $410 worth of parts. The cylinder head, for sure. Brake parts would be good. Other relatively small, expensive, and easily removed parts.

If you don't have the pink slip--you will tossed in jail for theft. If you have the pink slip, and you do it at night on their property, you can be arrested for prowling or worse (if you don't get shot by somebody who does not know who you are dressed in dark cloths in the middle of the night crawling around a vehicle).

If you have the pink slip and disable the brakes--you will be tossed in jail for tampering with a motor vehicle--or worse (manslaughter or ++?).

Getting nailed for a felony is not my recommendation of how to spend you summer as a 17-18 year old... Not for $410 anyway (my first job was $1.86 an hour as a part-time janitor--yes, I remember working hard for little money).

-Bill

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get this. They just spent 700 fixing it up. I aksed the owner of the place that fixed it up how much it was worth before the fixed it and he said it was worth about 800-900.

BTW they still have not piad the guy for fixing it and the four wheeler is still sitting at his shop till he gets piad (What I should have done).

knot

Banned
Get this. They just spent 700 fixing it up. I aksed the owner of the place that fixed it up how much it was worth before the fixed it and he said it was worth about 800-900.

BTW they still have not piad the guy for fixing it and the four wheeler is still sitting at his shop till he gets piad (What I should have done).

Sell it to the shop for $410

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't anyone remember the monkey that dehydrates simply because he can't open his fist, and let go of the peanuts in the jar? You can let go, and sometimes for the greater good you just have to.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't have the pink slip--you will tossed in jail for theft. If you have the pink slip, and you do it at night on their property, you can be arrested for prowling or worse (if you don't get shot by somebody who does not know who you are dressed in dark cloths in the middle of the night crawling around a vehicle).

If you have the pink slip and disable the brakes--you will be tossed in jail for tampering with a motor vehicle--or worse (manslaughter or ++?).

Getting nailed for a felony is not my recommendation of how to spend you summer as a 17-18 year old... Not for $410 anyway (my first job was $1.86 an hour as a part-time janitor--yes, I remember working hard for little money).

-Bill
Big +1 there. I would especially discourage something like "borrowing" something else of theirs worth several hundred dollars, as LL suggested, hopefully as a joke. Make absolutely sure that you're on solid legal and moral ground every step of the way. If for some reason you do end up bringing them to court over it, it won't look good if you did anything remotely illegal-seeming.

Remember to keep everything nice and legal, and safe as well.

I'm going to just toss this suggestion out there: go over to their house with your parents, and explain to them honestly and plainly that you're unhappy with how the situation is unfolding, you'd rather they pay you the rest of the money or return the vehicle so that you can all be friends again, yadda yadda. The idea is that you try to be kind and understanding, yet firm. This is basically how dogs are trained - punishments for undesired behavior usually make the situation worse, but if you make it clear to them that you're the pack leader and that good behavior is rewarded with cookies and kisses, you'll soon have a wonderful relationship with an obedient dog. (I don't want you to think that I'm comparing your aunt and uncles to dogs, but if I were, it should be considered a compliment, because I really like dogs.)

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now they have not paid the mechanic. I see a pattern forming. I bet they had an excuse for him as well.

Personally, I would not want to put myself on the wrong side of the law. If you do something illegal, your aunt and uncle could lie to make it sound worse. Then you might have to give them the ATV to get them to drop the charges.

Especially since you were under 16 at the time you made the deal, my guess is you can get your property back in court.

/I'm not an expert
//YMMV
///good luck

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So what should I do?

Sorry to see that your relatives screwed you over. Take them to small claims court. Honestly though, I wouldn't let this slide. Getting burned by some stranger in a deal is one thing, but by relatives?! F**K that!

Last edited:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have mentioned, take this up with your parents first. Perhaps there are extenuating circumstances that should be considered.

Given only the information presented in this thread however, if I were your parent, I would vigorously pursue this matter. There is absolutely no excuse for an adult to treat anyone this way, relative or not. And it is even more reprehensible to do this to you as a teenager. Your aunt/uncle are setting the worst kind of example.

If there is one "good" thing to come out of this however, is that you now know what you do not want to be like in your life. And you are also on notice that you need to be cautious, even when dealing with "family."

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do something illegal, your aunt and uncle could lie to make it sound worse. Then you might have to give them the ATV to get them to drop the charges.

Remember, they don't have to lie to make you look bad--by doing something illegal you will have already hung yourself (and being awfully close to 18--the court systems might try the crime as an adult).

In the end--don't ever consciously do anything you know (or suspect) to be illegal. With databases today--even little things get remembered forever and will restrict your ability later in life to make choices (like jobs in government, police, military, security clearances, etc.--and who knows what decades from now--for example a cop who had a domestic violence complaint and never fought it because the fallout was so small years ago--can loose the right to carry a gun now).

You, learning from minor mistakes, and acquiring the ability to move on from those mistakes and how not to escalate the problems, will serve you well in life.

Look at your relatives, they stiff you, and now appear to be doing the same to the mechanic. They have not learned, and will be the worst for it in the long term.

-Bill

By the way, another reason it may not be worth following up on this--the mechanics lean on the vehicle will probably have to paid off before you can reclaim the vehicle. If the relatives don't have any money worth attaching, you can win and still come out with zero results (other than the fees and time from small claims court).

Last edited:

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The world is full of deadbeats. If you really want to transact business it's got to be "cash on the barrel head".

A wise man once said "If you lend money to a friend you will lose your money and your friend".

In my limited experience, an old Polaris is worth virtually nothing. The engine and transmission turn to junk. I know of a Polaris bought in 1999 that you could probably get for the cost of hauling it away.