Need help with my pool water (very cloudy)

Patriot

Flashaholic
If they let it get to this condition, I shock it and put in some algaecide to clear it up, but the DE filter seems to get clogged and pumping the backwash lever doesn't help much. I have to take the filter apart and soak it in acid.

Is there another way to clear that filter? We have 3 weeks of swimming left and I hate to take that thing apart again.

Very thoughtful of you and the family to help and pitch in. :twothumbs

Regarding the "clogging" I'd have to know how you're determining that it is clogged. I'll assume you're measuring this by the filter pressures but I have to make sure before sending you on a goose chase. Also, please let me know if it's a salt pool.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sweet, poolguy/patriot, I only have one question, how serious are elevated levels of CYA (cyanuric acid)?
I have had one guy tell me not to worry until it reaches 200ppm + and another say freak out if it's above 80ppm.

Due to my method of fending off yellow algae it causes my CYA to run about 100ppm.
Thanks from a first year pool n00b.

Well, I'm guessing that you're not ever intentionally adding CA (stabilizer) and that it's just occurring from the continued use of tabs and hypo-shock. At 100, you're definitely on the fringe in my book and that's even true for Arizona where we keep it high to help against UV killing our chlorine. Unfortunately there's no way of reducing the level except by draining. If all of your other readings are in the proper range, you can get away with periodic partial drains...say 2" per week until you're back around 60-80. Since pools can normally takes years to build up CA, I would call into question your treatment of "yellow" or mustard algae. There are ways of getting rid of it without sending your CA over the edge. :)

LEDAdd1ct
Patriot, *nice* "pool shot!" Man, that is a beautiful view!
It's gorgeous out there isn't it. The house isn't extravagant either, probably 2400 square feet, and ranch style. They have horses and riding trails. The owners spent the summers in Oregon and rent this home out to vacationers. It's one of my favorite stops during the week.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Sweet, poolguy/patriot, I only have one question, how serious are elevated levels of CYA (cyanuric acid)?
I have had one guy tell me not to worry until it reaches 200ppm + and another say freak out if it's above 80ppm.

Due to my method of fending off yellow algae it causes my CYA to run about 100ppm.
Thanks from a first year pool n00b.

This link specifically addresses the downside specific to yellow algae...mainly as reduced chlorine santitation ability.

Interestingly, this WIKI entry "Safety" section classifies CA as "essentially nontoxic."

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first moved into my house, I knew nothing about a pool(20,000 in ground). I surfed the web and came here and here. Awesome info. 12 years later, I haven't been to a pool supply store yet for chemistry.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Don't want a pool. Don't care for them.

However... this is too cool not to mention to you guys.

Was visiting my family in Dothan, AL about 20 (ouch) years ago when I was in college. My brothers and I were riding bikes in the area and they showed me something.

There was an old hotel. It looked like it had been abandoned back in the 1950's or something. Roof was falling in. Kudzu/etc was growing all over it.

About 100 yards away was the old hotel pool. It was spotless. It was a concrete pool, with a bottom feed underground spring in one corner. The spring fed up through some sand, which you could see churning, via about a 3' diameter hole in the bottom of the pool. The runoff was in another corner.

If I ever have a pool, that's what I want. Crystal clear and no maintenance.

If it had been modern times I would have snapped a pic on a cell phone or something.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
When I first moved into my house, I knew nothing about a pool(20,000 in ground). I surfed the web and came here and here. Awesome info. 12 years later, I haven't been to a pool supply store yet for chemistry.

The second link (poolforum.com) is useless, IMHO, because they have blocked any new people from joining their forum, and appear to be in some sort of battle with another pool website. I wouldn't pay any attention to a site that doesn't allow me to join and ask questions.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Don't want a pool. Don't care for them.

However... this is too cool not to mention to you guys.

Was visiting my family in Dothan, AL about 20 (ouch) years ago when I was in college. My brothers and I were riding bikes in the area and they showed me something.

There was an old hotel. It looked like it had been abandoned back in the 1950's or something. Roof was falling in. Kudzu/etc was growing all over it.

About 100 yards away was the old hotel pool. It was spotless. It was a concrete pool, with a bottom feed underground spring in one corner. The spring fed up through some sand, which you could see churning, via about a 3' diameter hole in the bottom of the pool. The runoff was in another corner.

If I ever have a pool, that's what I want. Crystal clear and no maintenance.

If it had been modern times I would have snapped a pic on a cell phone or something.

Yeah, that does sound cool. Having a naturally flowing underground spring unfortunately is not something that is available. Once I get my pool opened, there is virtually no mainenance. Maybe 5 mins a week. Obviously they're not for everyone, but I wouldn't buy a house without one.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since pools can normally takes years to build up CA, I would call into question your treatment of "yellow" or mustard algae. There are ways of getting rid of it without sending your CA over the edge. :)
All the research I have done on mustard/yellow/pollen algae is the main thing that kills it is hyper/super chlorination/shock and whatever yellow out/kill ...nonsense they try and sell you(it is the chlorine that kills it).
Regular algaecide won't prevent it so higher than normal levels of chlorine keep it dead and gone.
I have a relative who handles a large private(members only) pool and he told me that they can legally keep the free chlorine levels at 10ppm and that will keep that ever so pesky yellow crap gone, so I keep my free chlorine at 7.5-10 ppm with zero yellow algae, but the tabs I use and the chlorbrite super chlorinator are causing the CYA to climb quickly.

I will drain the pool by about 50% upon closing this year, and that should help, but if you have the "right" way to prevent, not get rid of but prevent yellow algae please let me know.:D

I have spent hours on the net, talking to several "pros" and the debate over what if any true lasting effects of high levels of CYA are wide open, I have an interesting pdf that basically argues all sides and about the only conclusion is that over time high levels of CYA "may" harm equipment but not bathers.:tinfoil:

Thank you for sharing your expertise, most guys are not so open in this field.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
All the research I have done on mustard/yellow/pollen algae is the main thing that kills it is hyper/super chlorination/shock and whatever yellow out/kill ...nonsense they try and sell you(it is the chlorine that kills it).
Regular algaecide won't prevent it so higher than normal levels of chlorine keep it dead and gone.
I have a relative who handles a large private(members only) pool and he told me that they can legally keep the free chlorine levels at 10ppm and that will keep that ever so pesky yellow crap gone, so I keep my free chlorine at 7.5-10 ppm with zero yellow algae, but the tabs I use and the chlorbrite super chlorinator are causing the CYA to climb quickly.

I will drain the pool by about 50% upon closing this year, and that should help, but if you have the "right" way to prevent, not get rid of but prevent yellow algae please let me know.:D

I have spent hours on the net, talking to several "pros" and the debate over what if any true lasting effects of high levels of CYA are wide open, I have an interesting pdf that basically argues all sides and about the only conclusion is that over time high levels of CYA "may" harm equipment but not bathers.:tinfoil:

Thank you for sharing your expertise, most guys are not so open in this field.:thumbsup:

With high CA over 200, it is indeed not very good for you. They've testing the stuff on lab mice and there becomes a point at which it's harmful. If you don't mind taking your chances in an area like this, well to each their own I suppose...lol. I just know that I wouldn't go in and out of a pool on a daily basis with super high CA. :)

Obviously your CA isn't that high but I just say that to refute some of the loose 200+ CA talk. If people who say that let their kids swim in the water, I regretfully must say it's foolish to play with the unknown.

In any case, lets just focus on the how the CA is effecting your situation at the moment. You sort of have two choices here but I think the preference will be obvious. You can run your chlor at 8-10ppm with a 100+ CA reading, or you can run your chlor at 5-7ppm and a 60 CA reading and you'll essentially be having the same effect on bacteria. High CA equal less effective chlorine.

The link that Lux shared was pretty good and it illustrates why this is the case. To quote from the link:

"At moderate levels of stabilizer with 2 ppm chlorine you will achieve an oxidation level of approximately 725 mV which is enough to achieve a kill time in the milliseconds range. With a high stabilizer level at the same or higher chlorine level, you will have a hard time achieving even a 600 mV reading which will extend your kill time to seconds and even minutes."

Regarding the ways of dealing with mustard algae without raising the CA unnecessarily high, you can add liquid chlor (the purest form of chlor) or Calcium-Hypoclorite. Both of these work extremely fast, especially if you maintain your normal dose of tablets, which contain tri-chlor. Neither liquid chlor or Cal-hypo contain stabilizers and thus wont add to your problem.

Bring your CA down to 60...tops. Cut back your tab input a little so that your running chlor level down to a 5-6 constant. When and if the yellows show up, add liquid chlor or cal-hypo to spike the chlor up. This will greatly increase the chlor without increasing CA. No form of yellow is going to live in a 10-15ppm chlorinated pool. When the strain is gone in a few days, let your level fall back to 5-6. With very difficult strains, add and liquid algaecide like Pool Doctor Algaedyne. It's a dark brown/rusty color and works miracles.

In the winter time, ruduce your Chlor ppm even further, down to a 1-3.

I hope I didn't miss anything since I had to re-write this once already....lol. ....and just to wrap up the main point of this, having really high CA will cause you to chase your tail and it's counter productive since you can achieve the same algae resistance with less chlor if the CA is lower. :) Sheeesh....I need a nap now....haha.

Anyhow, let me know if you do decide to attack this a bit differently than you have been since I'm always curious and like feedback.

Thanks man. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine in TX had a spa that used ozone instead of chlorine treatments - swore by it. Is there a reason why this is not used in pools? It seems like it would be a lot easier on people's eyes and clothing.

Thanks

HarryN

Patriot

Flashaholic
Higher initial expense Harry, but it does have it's advantages. I only know of one person in the business who services a ozone pool. He's says that when it's working well it's great but when it's not working correctly diagnostics are expensive one the warranty of the equipment expires. Not very many people deal with the stuff so usually it mean calling out the manufacturer to fix or replace parts. I think there's something great to the technology but it's going to be a while before it really takes off here. If I was to build a pool today, I'd probably research it heavily for consideration, but I'd want to also go out into the field, so to speak, and get my hands on the equipment before I pulled the trigger.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can be used in pools. It is very effective but very unstable and generally doesn't stay in the water long. Chlorine is generally used in combination with ozone.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Patriot, :thanks: I am going to liquid chlorine only next season and will copy n paste your instructions.
I wish you were closer to Cali, I'd hire your service.:twothumbs

Very welcome Beamhead. The only downside to using liquid chlor exclusively is that you have to check it and add it more often. No less than twice per week. If you supplement your liquid chlor with light tablet use (which contains tri-chlor) it will help to keep your chlor level from spiking up and down. Even though tri-chlor tabs contain stabilizer, one or two tabs a week aren't going to hurt your CA much. 3-4 tabs a week, plus di-chlor or tri-chlor shock will cause your CA to do what it's doing now. Liquid chlor works fast and disappears more quickly than all other types, including Cal-hypo. A lot of Cal-hypo isn't good because it adds to the solids in the water. The chlor in cal-hypo is suspended in a calcium base which can eventually cloud the water, while also effecting alkalinity and PH. We sometimes refer to as "dirty chlorine." It's fine for occasional use, several times a year, but you don't want to feed the pool a stead diet of it. Instead, mixing your chlors tends to nullify the negative effects of overdosing with just one type. Using liquid chlor, balanced with a tablet or two, supplemented by occasional cal-hypo shock (only when needed) will give you a nice balanced mix.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Not sure why you can't register, but the information is still sound.

They shut off all registrations. No one is able to register. No idea why. No explanation given. Log out, and try to register. Information may be sound, but if you needed clarification of one minor aspect of a point, you can't get it. I'd rather go somewhere where you can interact.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
They shut off all registrations. No one is able to register. No idea why. No explanation given. Log out, and try to register. Information may be sound, but if you needed clarification of one minor aspect of a point, you can't get it. I'd rather go somewhere where you can interact.
Hmmmmm...It used to be a great forum. I have no idea why it went so downhill. This is where I learned to take care of a pool....:(