Need suggestions: AA light, twist switch, no more than $50...

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I'm new to flashlights so if I say anything stupid it's only because I'm stupid. :) I bought a Fenix LD10. I was amazed at the amount of light it put out. I wanted something smaller so I got the Fenix LD01. I find myself using it all of the time because it's a little smaller and fits in the pocket much better, clipped or not. Also, it's pretty close to the brightness of the LD10. I can walk my dog with the LD01. That's pretty impressive when using a 16' retractable leash. I can see the dog perfectly and a lot more with a single AAA battery light. Amazing to me. Anyway, I have found I don't like the switch on the LD10. Half the time I try to change brightnesses I turn the light off by accident. Also, I have to change had positions to use the switch. I'm selling it for $40 on ebay. I have the Fenix LD15 in mind for $39. It has the twist switch like the LD01 so I can turn it on and change brightnesses without changing hand positions. It is also 117 lumens and the LD10 is 100.

What I'm asking for is an alternative to the Fenix LD15. Brand isn't important. Price is important. Nothing over $50. The less expensive the better of course but If I were to go to $60 or higher I'd spend it on a bigger flashlight. I'm wanting a single AA battery light with a twist switch at 100 lumens or brighter. I say twist switch but any one that I don't have to change the holding position to turn it on/off or change brightnesses is ok. Also, no way to accidentally turn it off. The battery is important. It has to be AA. I want to use batteries I can get anywhere anytime. I have a small recharger. The number of different brightnesses isn't really a big deal but definately a consideration. The Fenix LD15 only has two. 8 lumens and 117 lumens I think. That sounds like almost useless or really bright. I think I'd also like a brighness around 50 lumens even if I had to loose the 8 lumens.

Ok, that's my story. Any suggestions are appreciated. No real hurry. I'd like to have this as a present for Christmas. If I don't provide a list of my own gifts for my wife to give me she gets me stuff I don't need just so there will be an acceptable number of presents to open. That's ok I guess but I'd rather save the money for something I want than just having one more present to open. I'm drifting, sorry.

Jack

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
Re: Need suggestion, I know it's an old question, sorry

I just noticed under my user name there is the word "Unenlightened". That's funny because a truer statement has never been made. :)

Jack

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened

4Sevens' Quark mini AA can be had for $39. I has 3 modes: low 2.5 lumens, med 25, high 90. It also has 4 hidden modes but it will really not bother you since you would need to do a couple of twists(complete 2 cycles from low to high) to activate the hidden modes.

DM51

Flashaholic

As you are discussing LED options, I'll move this to LED Flashlights.

saypat

Enlightened

I thought that's what this is?

vali

Enlightened

Quark MiNi AA is not that bright at max using a NiMH or alkaline cell (unfortunately, because is a GREAT light, but tiny ;))

I think you should wait to the upcomig Zebralight SC5. Not very much information about it yet, but it seems it will be out for christmas, have 3 modes (2, 40, 200), side click and will cost less than 50$. Of course all those features may not be true or can change in the future...

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are a quite a few AA lights that are over 50 lumens, even over 100 lumens. Sounds like you want a AA light that is small and pocketable, runs on regular AA batteries, is over 100 lumens.

I would suggest the Proton Pro. The main white LED is 115 lumens IIRC. It can be found in the $39.00 Range if you shop around, has a secondary Red Led, and both LED's can be ramped to any brightness level, min to max. It is a very rugged light running on any type of primary cell (no lithium rechargables (3.2V)) I have bought a number of them for family and friends, and myself, and no one has ever been disapointed.

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened

There are a quite a few AA lights that are over 50 lumens, even over 100 lumens. Sounds like you want a AA light that is small and pocketable, runs on regular AA batteries, is over 100 lumens.

I would suggest the Proton Pro. The main white LED is 115 lumens IIRC. It can be found in the $39.00 Range if you shop around, has a secondary Red Led, and both LED's can be ramped to any brightness level, min to max. It is a very rugged light running on any type of primary cell (no lithium rechargables (3.2V)) I have bought a number of them for family and friends, and myself, and no one has ever been disapointed.

Thanks for the suggestions. About the Proton Pro. I looked at the reviews on Batteryjunction.com. Only one was bad and it was entirely about the switch. The complaint was the guy said the light had been turned on accidentally because of the sensitive switch poorly positioned. As I said, from what I read this was the only negative thing said. He did say that other than the switch issue it was a great light. Of what I have looked at so far, if I bought one right now the Proton Pro would be my choice. I'm going to wait though to see other lights. Six years ago I wanted one nice pocket knife. I bought over 20 to now have a set of between 2 and 6 knives that I really like and will keep. I sold the others. All were nice but I always used something else I liked better for one reason or another. I could have prevented all the wasted time and money if I had done a little more research I think. I've only bought two "nicer" flashlights and already decided one of them although a great light, just isn't right for me so I'm selling it and want something else. I don't want that to happen over 15 times.

So, I appreciate all thoughts, advice and suggestions I can get.

Jack

archimedes

Flashaholic

Might I suggest taking a look at the Peak El Capitan? In HA aluminum, it slides under your budget by about five cents - :)

Roughly 100 bulb lumens on standard AA, 300 bulb lumens on Li-Ion 14500, and will accept any AA-sized cell. QTC provides infinitely variable output via twisty. Legendary toughness (potted electronics, etc). Lots of options, accessories, and lego-ability, if desired. And, the pocket body version is about as compact an AA-torch as can be found....

Monocrom

Flashaholic

First thing that came to mind is the Maratac AA model sold through County Comm. I have the Stainless Steel version, and it has worked very well. Three output levels. High-mode easily bright enough to walk a dog at night.

2nd thing that came to mind is its iTP A2 EOS twin. (iTP makes the AA model for Maratac. iTP version has grooves instead of checkering, and a stronger keychain post that sticks up from the butt of the light. Other than that, exact same light.)

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any of the ITP torches would be suitable ... I have an ITP-A3 on each keyring and I have ITP-A2's to carry clipped into my jackets inside pocket ... My ITP-A1 is one of my bedside lights ... There is even a slightly shorter single mode ITP-A3 available in several pretty colours.

davecroft

Enlightened
Hi
You won't be disappointed with the Fenix LD15, it is one of my favourites. As an alternative you could look at the Nitecore EZAA R5- with its ramping mode it is an interesting little light and very bright on max. Solid build as well.

I have tried the Quark Mini AA but didn't like it, so changed it for the similar but cheaper Olight i2. That's a nice light for the price, I find this type of light just feels a bit lesser quality than Nitecore or Fenix, but that's just my preference. The output might be a bit low for you as well. The Quark Mini AA, Olight i2, Maratac AA and iTP A2 are all very similar lights - they use the same body but the knurling differs and the modes vary between the different makes.

A couple of others to check out might be the Jetbeam PA01 or their stainless steel version, E3S, but these both have tailcap switches. If you like Fenix there is also the very inexpensive E11.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

duro

Enlightened
Your best option would be a Nitecore D11. Use the cpf discount and it will be about 50 dollars. Better than a twisty, or clicky.

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened

I have another question. What are the benefits you get with a single AA battery over a single AAA battery light? I'm using a Fenix LD01. 3 Brightnesses I like. The brightest is 72 lumens. The specs say 10, 27, 85 lumens but the description says "whopping 72 lumens". Twist the head once for med., again for low and a third time for high. I can do this with one hand and not change holding positions. For what I want in a AAA light this is fine and cost $37.50. I can use this for everything from looking under a couch to walking my dog with no complaint. Well, the only thing I didn't like was while walking my dog the light went from bright to dead battery. I was in the yard in the dark with no light. No big deal since I was in the yard but once many years ago I was in a HUGE attic and my normal mini-maglite bulb burned out. Had to find my way to the entrance in pitch blackness having to keep my feet on joists and feeling around for nails. From what I understand about battery usage the experience I had was good. Great performance all the way up to when the battery was dead. Solution would be to have an extra battery in a pocket.

What I was thinking was a single AA battery light exactly the same but would be brighter. From what I've seen they aren't advertised as a whole lot brighter. Does the battery last longer? I was assuming it would if using the same brightness but I was looking for brighter with a AA light. Do I need to look at 2 AA battery lights for significant brightness increase? What I was thinking was having 3 quality flashlights. My AAA light, one significantly brighter light and possibly a really bright one. After seeing the light output of the smaller lights I may not ever need a really bright one. If I turned one of those on at 1 in the morning everyone in my town would think it was morning and go to work. :)

I'm appreciating all the suggestions. Especially how you are keeping them within my desires. What was suggested to me about a month ago was the Fenix LD40 for $61.95. Unless I can find a significantly brighter pocket light I'll just keep the AAA battery light I have and get the LD40. It's still a small light, just not an EDC size for me. I won't carry a light on my belt for EDC. Don't need that kind of power in EDC situations. If it won't fit in my pocket and be brighter I'll consider myself happy as far as pocket carry. Next I'll look for something like the LD40.

Thank all of you,
Jack

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened

I just ordered a Fenix E11. I got it from batteryjunction.com. I get a keychain light free. Nothing like saving a buck.20. lol With the free light and shipping the total is $30.00. It looked like this was a good choice balancing performanc and price. Especially the price. Under $27.00. Now I guess I'll get the Fenix LD40 as a larger light. I believe after seeing it I won't need any more flashlights. I say that but I can see how these things can get addictive. I think it will be brighter than the Mag-Lite I have now that uses 3 D-cell batteries. And I won't have to worry about a bulb burning out. Batteries won't be a problem since it uses 4 AA batteries. I have a small charger but have been thinking about a larger one for $50 (MAHA MH-C800S AA - AAA 8 CELL BATTERY CHARGER). That's for later though. Right now I don't use batteries fast enough to worry about. The only problem with the charger I have now is you have to charge two at a time. It holds 4 max. It will charge AA and AAA batteries so for now it will be ok. I have 8 AA and 8 AAA batteries. 4 each are Eneloop and 4 are Tenergy (blue ones). Any info on the difference? From what I've been told Eneloop are as good as it gets. I am very concerned about expense and cost but just as concerned about quality. I won't buy cheap if I loose significant quality. I do have a 2 year old grandson so he uses toys that all use batteries and I don't see his battery needs getting lower, only bigger. :( Along with all of his other needs.

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. Every one was worth looking at or buying but I only chose one (right now).

Jack