Need thrower in "3-D" size

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he's willing to "downsize" to 2-D, a MagHID will run TWO hours and out-throw anything mentioned (except MiniHID). It's so efficient it can even run on alkalines, but still squeaks under $300 including the rechargeables.

Delvance and metelhed's suggestion of MiniHID is about 1-D and runs on 123As for 1 hour, 20 minutes.

Last edited:

MicroE

Enlightened
There are a number of other options that meet the criteria or come really close. I'm reading "3-D size" to mean "smaller than or equal to a Mag 3D light".

The choice will depend upon what the "objects" are which the friend wishes to illuminate.
My suggestions in order of preference:
SF M3T
SF C3
Any SF 2-cell light.
Also, a plain vanilla SF G2 throws pretty good at 50 yards and costs $35 retail. You can buy a spare lamp and a lot of 123's for the remaining $265.

Again, the choice depends upon the "objects". Are we looking for thimbles or Yellow Hummers at 50 yards?

Last edited:

olephart

Newly Enlightened
I would start by having him look at the beamshots in this thread:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96686

It's only 1/2 the distance, but it would elliminate Leds from the choice if he doesn't like the pics. If he likes them, the 5W db917 Aleif 3 is the winner. Should'nt be hard to use a Fatman if 3 1 1/2 volt alkys are required.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that money, he could get a MicroFire Warrior K500 HID searchlight, which is a super high-quality light that will out throw any stock flashlight in the market. It will literally BURN targets at 50 yards!! This light will put out 450 lumens for exactly 60 minutes! And he can upgrade it with the rechargeable battery pack to run for 2 hours. Body size well under the 3D form.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=18-37-6064

http://microfire.cn/Warrior-k500.htm

Beamshots and pictures here:

http://www.lightch.com/hid/a/warrior_k500.html

Pretty awesome and very compact HID spotlight!:rock:

Last edited:

wmirag

Enlightened
You guys are great!

Using what you've told me, what little I knew about these kind of lights, and especially knowing this fella's general preferences, I suggested he look at the following lights in this order:

Microfire Warrior K500
Surefire M6 Turbo
Surefire 10X Dominator
Surefire M4
Any metallic 2xCR123 Surefire with P61
Mag Charger
UK Light Cannon
Ultra Stinger

MANY, MANY thanks.

W.

Timson

Enlightened
Dont forget about HID...As great as they are - they don't give you that instant punch that a regular incandescent does....They require a few moments to get upto max output.

Tim.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he really wants 3D (or even 3C) he could get cpf user "3rd_shift" to build him a luxeon conversion. It would have a lot more than 1 hour runtime.

Has he considered something like a Surefire G2 or Streamlight Scorpion? They have a lot of throw, battery life of 1 hour or so, and very reasonable cost. He could carry several of them. Even with the Streamlight TL-3 he could carry a couple of them, and they have very good throw.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. Hadn't considered the smaller lights, but a Streamlight Stinger would be a compact rechargeable solution that will easily reach 50 yards and has a run time of about an hour. Not sure if the G2 or the Scorpion will reach that far to clearly illuminate an object though, I regularly carry a TL-2 (same as Scorpion for output) but I've never had an occasion to try it at those ranges even at it's tightest focus. A TL-3 would probably reach 50 yards though.

bjn70 said:
Has he considered something like a Surefire G2 or Streamlight Scorpion? They have a lot of throw, battery life of 1 hour or so, and very reasonable cost.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the HID, for what your friend wants. Try the 14W HID Power Light from AE Light. It's about $300. The rechargeable battery lasts more than an hour and is recharged in place -- very easy. It will laugh at the 50-yard spec and keep on going.

Very white and very, very bright.

It's slightly larger than a 3D, but not that much. And like any HID, it takes a few seconds to get up to full intensity.

Mine is quite a bit brighter than my MagCharger85. --Josey

mdocod

Flashaholic
I second the AE Power Light- and if he's willing to stretch his budget, or hunt around for a used one, the 24W would be nice- it's a bit larger than the 3D form factor from my understanding, but at somewhere in the ballpark of 1500 lumens of throwing white light for well over an hour, it is a very rocking cool light.

Lots of folks here suggesting ~$20 LED type lights- I don't think this is the level of light that someone with a $300 budget, and 3D form factor has in mind. For $300, 400-1000+ lumens is possible in this form factor with varying runtimes depending on setup.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
NFW said:
Wolf Eyes also has a couple of HIDs in his price range:
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/productList.aspx?uid=1-17

What's the run time of a stock 3D Mag?

At maximum power, a 3D mag will have about 15 minutes+/-, after that is like a roller-coaster of diminishing brightness.:thumbsdow

And yep, those mini tactical HIDs are the way to go if you want an "out-of-the box" product with maximum performance in a relatively small package.

Newly Enlightened
Here's an easy one.. Mag 2D, 6AA to 2D adaptor, Pelican 3854 low (11 watt) bulb. Mine runs 1:20 on Powerex 2300mah batts. ~$50 But if he REALLY needs to spend $300 it should be pretty easy :grin2:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
91101 said:
Here's an easy one.. Mag 2D, 6AA to 2D adaptor, Pelican 3854 low (11 watt) bulb. Mine runs 1:20 on Powerex 2300mah batts. ~$50 But if he REALLY needs to spend $300 it should be pretty easy :grin2:

Or as I have mentioned, with the addition of a Bi-Pin mod such as from a MC switch, you can use an MC bulb which on 6AA ROCKS!

I should be able to review another PR bulb setup in a few days!!!

RoyJ

Enlightened
91101 said:

So you don't need metal reflector and glass lens for the low ROP?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Folks, lets keep it real here. As much as lots and lots of CPFers love to mod and search for customized things, most people don't! Wmirag clearly stated that it was his friend who were looking for a flashlight, not some CPF mod geek. Most people don't want to go on an endless hunting trip for lenses, batteries, bulbs and other parts! They just want to get the "just-out-the-box" best performer! And that is: the mini-HID. With the Warrion K500 being the top one.

Newly Enlightened
RoyJ said:
So you don't need metal reflector and glass lens for the low ROP?

No you don't NEED them, although the plastic reflector melted just a little around the bottom when I did one of my 1:15 runtime tests...