New 350 lumen stinger led

texan_eagle_scout

Newly Enlightened
Re: New 350 Lumen Streamlight Stinger LED Flashlight

I have confirmed that it uses an XP-G2, and Streamlight's specs show that peak beam intensity has increased to 56,000 candela. It should throw farther than the previous model.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=172

Where did you confirm the LED change to the XP-G2? I didn't see anything on Streamlight's pages when I read through them.

Also would the NiMh batteries last longer than the NiCad batteries that it seems to come with? Can someone in the US with 120V power interchange them with no issues? It says that European units will come with the NiMh batteries. Would I even notice the difference?

Bad Karma

Newly Enlightened

I have confirmed that it uses an XP-G2, and Streamlight's specs show that peak beam intensity has increased to 56,000 candela. It should throw farther than the previous model.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=172

Looking at the XP-G2 spec sheet, the led would consume about 1.5a to produce 350 lumens (depending on the bin). The stock NiCad battery is only 1500mah, so how will this light run on high for 2 hours if it's using the XP-G2? There are, however some XM-L's that will do 350l at 1a... Still don't see this light lasting 2 full hours on NiCads, though. Maybe they meant with the Euro NiMh battery?

Anyone know if they will release the led upgrade kit with this 'new' led?

SimulatedZero

Enlightened

Looking at the XP-G2 spec sheet, the led would consume about 1.5a to produce 350 lumens (depending on the bin). The stock NiCad battery is only 1500mah, so how will this light run on high for 2 hours if it's using the XP-G2? There are, however some XM-L's that will do 350l at 1a... Still don't see this light lasting 2 full hours on NiCads, though. Maybe they meant with the Euro NiMh battery?

Anyone know if they will release the led upgrade kit with this 'new' led?

They get 2 hours of runtime by the type of regulation, or lack there of, that they use. They stick to ANSI FL1 standards, which if I remember correctly, states that the runtime can be measured to 10 percent of the original output. You may end up getting about 10 - 15 minutes of 350 lumens before it begins to drop in brightness and therefore drop the amount of power it draws. This is how some manufacturers get their really long runtimes, they just let the light taper off until the battery is finally drained of every last milliamp.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
New 350 Lumen Streamlight Stinger LED Flashlight

I agree that the ability to exchange information like this is great. I use a Streamlight Stinger LED DS at work, but it is the earlier version, or course. I also have an older incandescent that I did the TerraLUX upgrade to. I didn't really pay any attention to whether a light was regulated. Now that I have a Pelican 7060 and an Inova T4, both of which I think are regulated, I appreciated lights that are regulated.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=270#tabs

Stinger® Classic LED

RECHARGEABLE LED FLASHLIGHT

The Stinger Classic LED was designed to replicate the size, shape and feel that you loved so much about the original model enhanced with current LED technology.

Designed to replicate the size, shape and feel of the original xenon Stinger model enhanced with C4® LED technology for intense brightness
Custom optic design provides a smooth beam with optimal peripheral illumination; optimized electronics provide regulated intensity throughout battery charge
Three modes and strobe:
- High for a super-bright, far-reaching beam
- Medium for bright light and longer run times
- Low for light without glare and extended run times
- Strobe for disorienting or signaling your location
Anodized aluminum construction with knurled barrel for a sure grip
IPX4 water-resistant; 1 meter impact resistance tested
3-cell, 3.6 Volt Ni-Cd sub-C battery, rechargeable up to 1000 times.
3-cell, 3.6 Volt Ni-MH sub-C battery, rechargeable up to 1000 times offered in 230VAC and 12VDC European systems.
10 hr. steady charge, 2.5 hr. fast charge, or PiggyBack® charger options
7.65" (19.43 cm); 11.1 oz (315g)

Stinger® LED

This all purpose flashlight is designed for the broadest range of lighting needs at the best value.

Multi-function On/Off push-button switch lets you choose three lighting modes and strobe; designed for extremely long life; tested at 1 million actuations
Three modes and strobe:
- High for a bright super-bright beam - 350 lumens; 24,000 candela peak beam intensity; 310 meter beam distance; runs 2 hours
- Medium for bright light and longer run times – 175 lumens; 12,000 candela peak beam intensity; 219 meter beam distance; runs 3.75 hours
- Low for light without glare and extended run times – 85 lumens; 6,000 candela peak beam intensity; 155 meter beam distance; runs 7.25 hours
- Strobe for disorienting or signaling your location; runs 5.5 hours
Deep-dish parabolic reflector produces a concentrated beam with optimum peripheral illumination
C4® LED technology, impervious to shock with a 50,000 hour lifetime
Regulated run time provides consistent performance throughout battery life
3-cell, 3.6 Volt Ni-Cd sub-C battery, rechargeable up to 1000 times.
3-cell, 3.6 Volt Ni-MH sub-C battery, rechargeable up to 1000 times offered in 230VAC and 12VDC European systems.
10 hr. steady charge, 2.5 hr. fast charge, or PiggyBack charger optionsAnti-roll rubber ring included
Machined aircraft aluminum body with non-slip rubberized comfort grip
IPX4 water-resistant; 1 meter impact resistance tested
Unbreakable polycarbonate lens with scratch-resistant coating
Includes anti-roll rubber ring
Length: 8.41 in.; Weight: 12.4 oz
Serialized for positive identification
Limited lifetime warranty
Assembled in USA

After reviewing the http://www.terraluxportable.com/product/tle-st1-ex/ TerraLUX site, I think it would be an interesting comparison to to have the new Streamlight Stinger LED Vs. a Stinger with the TerraLUX MiniStar ST/X LED conversion. As far as features go, I think the OEM Stinger LED wins. With the three modes and strobe compared to the TerraLUX single mode. So, in my way of thinking, if you are buying new, by all means go with the Streamlight Stinger LED. On the other hand, if you already have an incandescent Streamlight Stinger, then a TerraLUX LED conversion makes sense. Given my experience with Streamlight, Pelican, Inova, and others, Streamlight wouldn't even necessarily be my first pick for a light nowadays, but if you are already invested in some of their equipment, say you are an agency with bank chargers and chargers in vehicles, it is probably much less expensive to stick with the Streamlight Stinger for the sake of simplicity and economics. I have even toyed with the idea of suggesting that my employer convert its remaining Streamlight Stingers over to the TerraLUX conversion. If I can/could get the NiMH battery sticks here in the United States, I might suggest those, as well!

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you check out Brightguys Youtube page they show what led it is, looks like a XPG, don't know if its R5 or G2 bin though.

NateHodge

Newly Enlightened

I keep a few lights with me at all times, my EDC in my pocket, a Princeton Tec headlight, and the stinger LED, since we get caught after dark at work a lot and for some reason most guys I work with refuse to keep a decent light. I let them use the stinger to keep from burning up my batteries. It works out great for me since I only have 38 bucks in the entire light. It was given to me by a co-worker because it didn't work and he didn't want to bother fixing it because, according to him, it wasn't bright at all even when it was working. Bad batteries, so that cost $15. Bad charger, which fried the batteries, $23. Once I got it running, I realized he was right. It was marked C4, but was extremely weak. The lamp was not a C4, so I sent it back to streamlight and they replace the lamp for free. I know there are better, brighter lights out there, but the customer service experience was a seller for me. Plus I love the fact that I can just drop it on the charger without having to remove the batteries.

Does anyone know if the 350 lumen lamp is available for purchase separately? It would be nice to not have to drop $85 on a whole light when I can get the lamp forless than $40.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Stinger LED/DS LED C4 Upgrade Kit (for Original Stinger LED Models Without c or C

I have asked Streamlight about whether or not the 75768 upgrade will be updated, but I haven't gotten a response from them yet. Unless otherwise stated, the 75768 would upgrade the Stinger to 180 lumens (it's an XR-E).

NateHodge

Newly Enlightened
Re: Stinger LED/DS LED C4 Upgrade Kit (for Original Stinger LED Models Without c or C

I just checked the label that my upgrade came in. I guess it could be possible that they used the same part # when they changed out the LED from the first C4 to the newer 350Lm, but that part number is the same as my upgrade kit. This was maybe a year or so ago. I'll call streamlight tomorrow to see whats available and post up in case anybody around here is interested as well.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stinger LED/DS LED C4 Upgrade Kit (For Original Stinger LED Models Without C Or C4

Well, what did you find out?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Stinger LED/DS LED C4 Upgrade Kit (For Original Stinger LED Models Without C Or C

There has been an update to the LED upgrade kit, P/N 75768, with the new LED. Packaging will have a sticker that says 350 lumens, so you will need to check with the retailer before placing an order. These updated kits have been available for a couple months already, but the majority of them should still be the previous version.

NateHodge

Newly Enlightened
Re: Stinger LED/DS LED C4 Upgrade Kit (For Original Stinger LED Models Without C Or C

There has been an update to the LED upgrade kit, P/N 75768, with the new LED. Packaging will have a sticker that says 350 lumens, so you will need to check with the retailer before placing an order. These updated kits have been available for a couple months already, but the majority of them should still be the previous version.

Thanks Robin. I JUST got off the phone with Pat at Streamlight. I have been out of town working and haven't had the chance to call until now. He said just what you posted. The P/N is the same, and Streamlight isn't shipping anymore 180 lumen kits, but some retailers may still have them in stock. He advised to order the kit, P/N 75768< even if they had some in stock and make sure it has your name on it when it comes in the door. He couldn't confirm if there was any physical differences or engineering markings to tell the difference. But if they have a "350 lumen" sticker, then those of us that want to pick one up should be good.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

so I'm seriously considering the 350 lumen Stinger DS LED HP, as I've used a few at my old department (btw: the two I've handled so far, I'm pretty sure had XP-E2 LEDs in them) and I think the interface is great.

I do have some questions, though:
1. is there no way to swap out or not have to deal with that flimsy and really cheap plastic lens it comes with?

2. I've noticed the DS LED HP lights I've handled have decently off-centered emitters and it shows in the beam somewhat. If I received an off-center one, would SL let me swap it for one if I was dissatisfied with the beam as a result of a potentially non-centered emitter?

3. Being that I'm in the USA, am I stuck with the Ni-Cd battery? Based on how I'm reading the SL part numbers list for the DS HP LED, it looks like the NiMh battery is only for 230V configs :(

4. what is the difference between "Streamlight 75885 Stinger DS LED HP High Power Rechargeable Flashlight with 120-Volt AC/12-Volt DC Fast Charge Charger" and "Streamlight 75856 Stinger DS LED HP High Power Rechargeable Flashlight with 120-Volt AC/12-Volt DC Fast Charge Piggy-Back Charger"

sorry for all the questions but I'm really serious about buying one

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

so I'm seriously considering the 350 lumen Stinger DS LED HP, as I've used a few at my old department (btw: the two I've handled so far, I'm pretty sure had XP-E2 LEDs in them) and I think the interface is great.

I do have some questions, though:
1. is there no way to swap out or not have to deal with that flimsy and really cheap plastic lens it comes with?

2. I've noticed the DS LED HP lights I've handled have decently off-centered emitters and it shows in the beam somewhat. If I received an off-center one, would SL let me swap it for one if I was dissatisfied with the beam as a result of a potentially non-centered emitter?

3. Being that I'm in the USA, am I stuck with the Ni-Cd battery? Based on how I'm reading the SL part numbers list for the DS HP LED, it looks like the NiMh battery is only for 230V configs :(

4. what is the difference between "Streamlight 75885 Stinger DS LED HP High Power Rechargeable Flashlight with 120-Volt AC/12-Volt DC Fast Charge Charger" and "Streamlight 75856 Stinger DS LED HP High Power Rechargeable Flashlight with 120-Volt AC/12-Volt DC Fast Charge Piggy-Back Charger"

sorry for all the questions but I'm really serious about buying one
1. Nope. It does have an anti-scratch coating, so it's not too bad.

2. The LED is centered on my DS LED HP, so maybe tolerances have improved, but you should be able to get an exchanged without issue.

3. You can get a NiMH battery seperately.

4. PiggyBack will charge a spare battery (steady current, even though the cradle is fast charge).

Here's a link to my review, which may answer some of these questions:

http://www.led-resource.com/2013/01/streamlight-stinger-ds-led-hp-350-lumens-review/

You can see the PiggyBack charger here:

http://www.led-resource.com/2012/12/streamlight-stinger-ds-led-350-lumens-review/