New 350 lumen stinger led

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Nope. It does have an anti-scratch coating, so it's not too bad.

2. The LED is centered on my DS LED HP, so maybe tolerances have improved, but you should be able to get an exchanged without issue.

3. You can get a NiMH battery seperately.

4. PiggyBack will charge a spare battery (steady current, even though the cradle is fast charge).

Here's a link to my review, which may answer some of these questions:

http://www.led-resource.com/2013/01/streamlight-stinger-ds-led-hp-350-lumens-review/

You can see the PiggyBack charger here:

http://www.led-resource.com/2012/12/streamlight-stinger-ds-led-350-lumens-review/

thanks a million Robin!

1. I'm worried about the plastic lens scratching, though, cuz the department I worked at as a student issues these DS LED HPs and the ones I've seen have some bad scratches on the plastic lenses. Do you know if perhaps SL stopped doing the anti-scratch coating? Will they do warranty work if I bought one and, through regular usage, the lens got scratched you think?

2. Thank you. The ones we've got here are pretty recently issued, so who knows if I'll get a well-centered one. I guess there's only one way to find out! haha

3. gotcha. So I can use that NiMh pack even in the USA market version? I know there are NiMh packs I can buy separately on Amazon, so those NiMh, although they come with the 230V models usually, will work on 120V USA models?

4. Thank you for the tip, I definitely would not have figured that out on my own haha. So if I want to keep a charger in my car (not police) and one in the house, will either package be just fine? They both come with separate DC12V and AC120V charger units right?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
They haven't stopped using the coating, but it is a scratch-resistant coating (hardness is 3H, so it's not scratch-proof). Not sure if the warranty will cover scratches, you may want to call them and ask.

You can use the NiMH pack with any Stinger, it can be used in place of the NiCd. 120V/12V packages will come with two cradles unless otherwise specified.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a newer stinger HL and it is 640 lumens and comes with the Nickel metal hydride battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

That's awesome. Wish these had the 10-tap mode options like the ProTacs.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
They haven't stopped using the coating, but it is a scratch-resistant coating (hardness is 3H, so it's not scratch-proof). Not sure if the warranty will cover scratches, you may want to call them and ask.

You can use the NiMH pack with any Stinger, it can be used in place of the NiCd. 120V/12V packages will come with two cradles unless otherwise specified.
ahhh good point (RE: resistant vs. proof). Thank you for pointing that out!

Perfect! NiMH is higher capacity right? Regardless, I'd opt to use NiMH to negate any memory effects of NiCd.

Thanks a bunch Robin! You've been a huge help.

Do you know if I'm correct regarding thinking I saw the XP-E2 LEDs in the DS LED HP lights I handled? Is it likely they've gone to XP-E2 R4 bins at 1.5 Amps? I'm willing to bet that's what's changed. I know the beams looked very much like the narrowness of the XP-E2 than a wider hotspot that an XP-G2 might have. If it wasn't an XP-E2 I may be going crazy lol. Did I see an XP-E2?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH is 2200mAh, the NiCd is 1800mAh.

The 350 lumen version used to use the XP-G2, but my light was an early model and I don't know if they've changed it to XP-E2.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wanted a Stinger, but every time I thought about getting one, another light would catch my attention and I'd forget about the Stinger. I've tried other large lights such as the Malkoff Hound Dog, but the tail clicky on a large light just doesn't work for me. I finally broke down a got a Stinger Led (350 lumens) this week and I'm really enjoying the simplicity of it. I opted for the non-HL model in the interest of better runtime at a given intensity. It's a nice change using a larger light as opposed to all my two-cell sized tail clicky lights (my favorite category). Although I probably won't EDC the Stinger, it makes really good work utility light. Now, I'm even considering getting an SL20L as a dedicated garage/house light.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Stinger LED/DS LED C4 Upgrade Kit (for Original Stinger LED Models Without c or C

Ive had 1 Streamlight and it SUCKED!! (Protac 600 lumens) This light looks pretty good though although 85 bucks will buy you SOOO much more from the Chinese brands