New 500 lumen MCE light from... Coleman!!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why the Coleman hate? Do you have any proof they outsourced the manufacture of this light? What even gives you reason to believe that? Is it CLEARLY copied from another light's design? (probably not otherwise you and others would have said so). "They clearly wanted to keep costs down" did they? Can you tell me the last time a manufacturer of products sold at Wal-Mart and every other big box store said "To hell with keeping costs down, spare no expense on this one." Even 4Sevens, likely the most respected production level manufacturer on this site, is always talking about keeping costs down.

LOL. Easy, big fella. I do not hate Coleman; I actually have several of their lighting products and am happy with them. Didn't you see where I said I thought the new stuff was well done and I'd like to have some in my OP?

Your mistake is thinking that I am dissing Coleman by stating my belief that they outsourced their manufacture of their flashlights. Or that trying to keep costs down while keeping features and build quality within what their market is looking for is a bad thing. It isn't; its just a business fact. It's like when Maglite gets bashed for not being cutting edge; ridiculous.

To me, this is no big deal, happens everyday. Do you think LLBean makes the chinos they sell? Does anyone who sells a non-super-high end product make a mistake? Of course not. Different products levels for different customer segments.

I am a marketing director by profession, so this is commonplace to me. Doesn't make my opinions any better or more accurate, but it's something I deal with daily at work.

Peace, my friend.

:cool:

Canuke

Enlightened
The time is coming my friends, when you won't have to order via Web Sites or buy from the CPF MarketPlace to get a high output torch.

That depends on what you mean by "high output". By the standards of back when I joined CPF back in 2002 (when the Arc LS was the bomb, and the new Lux V had us drooling), that day has long been here and gone by. Target, Home Depot, Walmart etc. all have cheap Cree lights that can beat my old 2003-era L4 for raw output.

I'm old enough to still be amazed that I can now get that much light out of a cheap $10 or $20 light.

Last edited:
I am sure that you will be able to buy lights that are as bright, one day. However, by then, CPF will have lights that are still at the cutting edge and years ahead of the big box store. Plus, the variety of materials and craftsmanship will never be available at Walmart.

Once the final bit of efficiency is pulled from leds and available at a place like Walmart, there will be a new technology we'll all be drooling over.......

I second Mr. King's opinion.

Illum

Flashaholic
I hope it doesn't use a 3S2P battery configuration and direct drive... :sick2:

that'll depend on its cost, but that might be just what it is...considering that an MCE, if wired in 2S2P it could potentially be direct drive, and thats based on a 3S2P battery configuration:candle:

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That depends on what you mean by "high output". By the standards of back when I joined CPF back in 2002 (when the Arc LS was the bomb, and the new Lux V had us drooling), that day has long been here and gone by. Target, Home Depot, Walmart etc. all have cheap Cree lights that can beat my old 2003-era L4 for raw output.

I'm old enough to still be amazed that I can now get that much light out of a cheap $10 or $20 light.

I remember discussing weather LED's would ever reach the 60 lumen mark to compete with the 2 cell incans.

bspofford

Enlightened
I'm skeptical about Coleman design and quality. They are quite clearly not the same company that I knew 40+ years ago. The last time one of their LED flashlights was under discussion on CPF, I expressed my reservations about the company and how they seem to sell only cheap Chinese products. The company contacted me and sent me a light thinking that I would be impressed. It was a dud and didn't even turn on. The product manager obviously sent me a light that had never been tested. Colemen sent me a second light, but it was only comparable to an UltraFire light priced at about half their price. I remain very skeptical about Coleman design and quality.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
The time is coming my friends, when you won't have to order via Web Sites or buy from the CPF MarketPlace to get a high output torch. 500 lumens for $80 - not bad bang for your buck!! I agree with Jash about the possible problems with long term storage and leaking batteries - alkalines subjected to high draw in a device such as this almost always leak - in my experience anway.:sick2:

James....

That is a valid point that one day, when led technology matures, there won't be as much of a market for "exclusive" lights as we discuss here as the local Walmart el cheapo light will have the same specs.

They are already as good I would imagine as what would have been discussed on here several years ago.

Then the technology matures and lights sold in Walmart catch up it won't be as much of a hobby anymore.

The enthusiast market has a trickle down effect to the consumer market. So even though the consumer market is always improving, so is the enthusiast market and it is always a step or 2 behind.

I hope this light can be picked up at Target/Walmart/Meijers. I'd like to try it out.

Last edited:

3rd Degree

Newly Enlightened
It's a little off topic I know but did anyone else notice the 1AAA light listed on the bottom left an the Coleman website. Looks like a smaller version of the Max lights they have been selling. I know that at the price it can't compete with something like the A3, but if it's built as well as the 2AA Max light I have then not to bad for something you can get at a B&M.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Coleman = Cra*p! Spend $80 at DX and get two MCE lights.

DX = Crap too actually!

Yeah, I'd trust a Coleman before any DX or KD lights. I've had a couple KD/DX lights and I have several Coleman Maxx LED lights and lanterns. The Coleman's are great! Can't say the same for the KD/DX lights since they are dead and long gone. I have used my Colemans in and around the house and in my outdoors adventures. No reason not to trust them yet.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It's a little off topic I know but did anyone else notice the 1AAA light listed on the bottom left an the Coleman website. Looks like a smaller version of the Max lights they have been selling. I know that at the price it can't compete with something like the A3, but if it's built as well as the 2AA Max light I have then not to bad for something you can get at a B&M.
do you mean this one?
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=1185&product_id=2000001140
* • 2.5 hours of runtime
* • 25 lumens
* • Long lasting, cool running Cree® Xlamp® LED bulb
* • Operates on a single AAA cell battery
* • Tough anodized aluminum body
* • Weather resistant to withstand the elements

* • 3 year warranty
* • Product weighs 1.8 oz with power source
* • Product weighs 1.4 oz without power source
* • Dimensions: 3.72″L X 0.84″W
* • Made in China
not very impressive specs unless they sell it for under $10.

Latest posts