New and upgraded Fraz Mechanical Smart Materials flashlights

TheFraz

Enlightened
What great news to see TheFraz back in town. Used to check your website occasionally years ago to see if you were still into your flashlights.

Are we to understand that you are capable of different body sizes and builds because of your current machining capabilities?

Definitely interested in a single 18650 flashlight. Something other than black would be excellent.

Maybe it is early to speak of emitters that you will use, but it is obvious you were using something superior to the store bought flashlight in the comparison video.

Understanding that you have always prized rugged tough torches, perhaps you might offer a lighter model that still meets your minimum standards for durability.

Wife and I with our 9 year old son live off-grid now over 6 months and counting for probably a long time and use flashlights for all lighting. Ceiling bounce with one of your flashlights would be great. Perhaps you may go with a 26650 (actually closer to 26700) sized light?

Even if you are not willing to go with a lighter build or 26650 size, I'm still a go for an 18650. I even watched your lathe videos way back when. Thanks for your return!

Thank you so much KITRO :). I very much appreciate you checking my website - and I hated to take it down because of lack of manufacturing processes. But if anything I am stubborn. I was getting quotes for something like $35 for retaining rings, so I had to go back to the drawing board in a big way. Now I am capable of a lot of design flexibility. A single 18650 will also work on our 26350 (my favorite) engine designs - we have different battery tube options. The emitters used are either XM-L2 or XP-L. The engine is easy to modify by design, or I can put whatever emitter you want in it. I have plans for a 26650 tube, and hope to integrate it with the other engine designs for flexibility. I really appreciate your support.

Here is a video of the new 26350 design from tonight. A new optic and a comparison of one of my favorite old lights. My best old thrower...the MRV. As I've said before, all the shorty throwers, aka the D-Mini, are awesome. This new Lumenite that we made tonight is my favorite light so far.

TheFraz

Enlightened
Great to see you back buddy. Been waiting for these for years, how long do we have to wait and where's the sign up list?

Thanks Glenn :D. Hopefully not long at all. I was working on material for the sales thread last night and hope to have it up tonight in the custom and modified sales section. I have a few units ready to go right now. They will be in smaller batches until I can gradually scale up manufacturing. I will update this thread again right before I publish the sales thread.

-Fraz

TheFraz

Enlightened
Here is a beamshot comparison video of the Lumenite 26350 vs. some other pretty well known lights. I always like to use this location because I think it gives a good usable real-world feel of the lights and how they perform.

borealis

Newly Enlightened
Sooo... with no chips is this the only variable output flashlight that could survive an EMP? :grin2:

TheFraz

Enlightened
Sooo... with no chips is this the only variable output flashlight that could survive an EMP? :grin2:

I do know of one other that will survive an emp attack

This is one test I've always wanted to try. In theory it should as the body should act as a Faraday cage and the light has no PCB to fry. Where it could get interesting for any light including the hardened ones is if it were unlucky enough to take a shot from an EMP or huge sun flare with the lens facing the source. I'd like to know how the actual LED would hold up. But yes, I would think it would hold up in 99% of cases as long as you don't go around with the emitter facing the sky all the time.

-Fraz

nbp

Flashaholic
Well guys, I have the Lumenite in hand; this is a pretty nifty little light Fraz has built for us! I didn't realize that I had the first one out in the wild, as I thought there might have been a few other Prototypes floating around. But I think you guys will be very pleased. I like the natural/clearcoat type anodizing very much. The machined flutes on the body are clean and simple but effective. I think that the finish is very good for the fact that these were more or less finished by hand in the shop. I have had the opportunity to use one of the older black 26650 lights that my buddy has. I liked that one, but this one is even better. I definitely think that the improved light engine allows for a much cleaner and more predictable ramping sequence than what was possible with the previous design, especially at low outputs. I'd be keen to grab one of the 18350 models when they're available. It sounds like Fraz is building some more lights, but in the meantime while you guys wait if you have any specific questions from a user perspective I will do my best to answer.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that standard 26350 batteries don't have protection, that could be a problem running down the battery too low and killing it - I see Imalent do a protected 26350, it's a bit longer tho I wonder if they fit, also with 18650/18350 batteries in the other models.
But seems funny that you put electronics back into a non electronics light.

TheFraz

Enlightened
It seems that standard 26350 batteries don't have protection, that could be a problem running down the battery too low and killing it - I see Imalent do a protected 26350, it's a bit longer tho I wonder if they fit, also with 18650/18350 batteries in the other models.
But seems funny that you put electronics back into a non electronics light.

That is correct, there is no overdischarge protection in the light itself - and also correct that I avoided it to keep any extra electronics out of the design. So I do recommend using a protected cell or a cell with chemistry that allows safe low discharge levels (like the green 26650 used in my last light). A lot of the newer cells can handle voltages as low as 2v.

That being said, I've discharged all my li-ion cells (for the various sized lights) down to where the lights stop functioning. The battery usually stops draining at the 2.3-2.6v point which hasn't damaged any of the cells I've used.

-Fraz

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Kit.
If it is an HDS that Steve's on about, Henry himself said it will survive.
But if it happens, I think we may have more to worry about....
P

TheFraz

Enlightened
Well guys, I have the Lumenite in hand; this is a pretty nifty little light Fraz has built for us! I didn't realize that I had the first one out in the wild, as I thought there might have been a few other Prototypes floating around. But I think you guys will be very pleased. I like the natural/clearcoat type anodizing very much. The machined flutes on the body are clean and simple but effective. I think that the finish is very good for the fact that these were more or less finished by hand in the shop. I have had the opportunity to use one of the older black 26650 lights that my buddy has. I liked that one, but this one is even better. I definitely think that the improved light engine allows for a much cleaner and more predictable ramping sequence than what was possible with the previous design, especially at low outputs. I'd be keen to grab one of the 18350 models when they're available. It sounds like Fraz is building some more lights, but in the meantime while you guys wait if you have any specific questions from a user perspective I will do my best to answer.

Glad you got the light! Please let me know any comments you may have about the design, likes/dislikes etc. I'll be going back in next week to machine some more of these and I try to change the design a bit for the better every time I go in.

Thanks,
Fraz

nbp

Flashaholic
Is there an o-ring seal under the front window on this light? I can't quite tell by looking.

Latest posts