New Arc, LunaSol or New HDS??? Which Great Light Would You Choose???

Which Great Light Would You Choose???

• Total voters

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leaning towards the Arc at the moment. They all look great and I don't really need any of them. Already have an upgraded HDS...

Sverre

Ritch

Enlightened
Difficult to vote. If the new HDS has similar features like the NovaTac 120P and the dimensions of the ARC LS, it could make the race for me. The ARC seems to be a fantastic light. It depends on the price, too. I'll be spoilt for choice.
Maybe i'll take both ...

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, who YOU gonna vote for John?:thinking: I didn't vote---I "know" all three of these gentlemen and, I will have to make a decision of when to pull the trigger on one (or all three!!!!) of these. :twothumbs

Karl

Kiessling

Flashaholic
As I already own the LunaSol27 I can say from the deepest bottom of my heart that I'd buy it again. I'll also test the Arc as this one might be an interesting attempt at the long awaited fusion of mechanical and uC switching. HDS won't be for me ... click click.

Only one ... then LunaSol. For the two beams like the A2.

bernie

jcompton

Enlightened
Hmmm, who YOU gonna vote for John?:thinking: I didn't vote---I "know" all three of these gentlemen and, I will have to make a decision of when to pull the trigger on one (or all three!!!!) of these. :twothumbs

Karl

:whistle:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Arc fan--least-wise I WAS. This one just not my idea of Arc but, that's not my call.

Same here. Despite my love of Arcs, I was sorely disappointed to see the new LS take the form of a re-badged McLux PD. I was hoping for something that carried on in the Arc LS tradition, like a next-gen 4+ or HDS-type design. Something that had the Arc bloodline in it.

Its hard for me to get too energized about any of the new designer lights, when Fenix is cranking out 180 regulated lumens for 2+ hours on 2xAA for $60.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Fenix and Arc do have the same raw materials ... meaning batteries batteries and LEDs. It is no problem with the new LEDs to achieve a high luminous flux. It is however a big problem to make a good flashlight, not just a bright flashlight.
I think this is what Arc is about.

I can understand that one is disappointed to see teh new Arc being a PD-ish light instead of a pure ARC. I cannot understand when Arc is compared on a lumens/dollar basis.

Btw ... If Fenix claims 180 regulated lumens for 2+ hours on 2xAA those claims most likely won't withstand the onslought of reality.

bernie

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot understand when Arc is compared on a lumens/dollar basis.

Bernie: you are quite correct. So let me restate it. :) I get more bang for my buck, (likely) more output, more fun, regulated multiple levels plus strobe, in a more easily EDC-able package from a $60 P1D Q5 than I suspect I would get from any of the lights which are listed in the poll.

I've just grown weary of the chase, I guess. :)

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Having partied with all three of those guys multiple times, discretion is indeed the better part of valor. :whistle: (Might have to buy all three, but I ain't that crazy about Ti or microcontrollered lights. :green: )

Larry

jcompton

Enlightened
I would not buy any of these lights until I have some idea of their reliability, brightness, runtime and any "quirks".

Since these lights are not yet available, we don't know their actual characteristics. So no vote!

The whole purpose of this poll is not to make a decision based upon knowing every little detail regarding these new offerings, but rather based upon the information that has only been available to you thus far. If you are one of the lucky individuals that have had the opportunity to see/hold/evaluate one of these lights in person (Congrats!), then obviously your choice will be a bit more informed.:thumbsup: When all is said and done and you have added all three to your collection, you just may look back and realize that the light you thought would see the least amount of use is now your EDC!

John

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
i cant wait to see what henry will do with the next gen of HDS, as the alst gen was well ahead of anything else. i for one was a bit let down by the novatac's price oriented construction (plastic lens, horrible clip) and would much rather pay the extra cash for a better light.

arc makes good lights, but if a wanted a McG PDish looking light i would jsut buy one... oh wait, i did. i dont care for all the electronic junk, two levels is all i want.

i love the concept of the lunasol, and this will be the light im going to buy, it has everything, throw's like crazy, and has excellent bedside manners as a reading light with its low level flood. i cant wait.

if i sound a little bias, its because i am. McG illumination beats anything else.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Wow... tough choice. Ideally if I had unlimited funds, it'd be the Ti LunaSol, but since this is reality, probably not due to probable price and availability. But it is the most unique and different of the mentioned 3. There's been almost no info on the new HDS-120 so I don't know what to expect from that end.

I too am a fan of the old Arc products, but the new Arc-PD is...kind of disappointing from an innovation stand point. It's basically a HA McLux PD that has selectable high/low settings. My decision to buy it will really depend on the final price. If it's going to cost a lot ($150+) for a regular production line light, I might as well wait for a genuine HA/Slate McLux PD to pop up on BST and buy that instead.

The HDS-120 is too much of an unknown at this point. No pricing range (actually, there's no pricing on any of the 3, but I think we can safely guess that the LunaSol will cost more than the $400 of the Ti Mule since McGizmo said that assembling the LunaSol is more complicated and time consuming than producing Mules/PD-Ses). I've already got a Seouled U60GT, so if the HDS-120 isn't a radical departure from the current size/interface/feature set of the current HDS/Novatac offerings, then I'll have to pass on that too. I passed on the Novatac 120P since my upgraded U60GT is pretty close to the same light, minus a couple of modes.

What I'd really like (and would probably buy without much hesitation) is a more affordable HA/Slate aluminum LunaSol. That would be just about perfect for me.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Like many I'm not sure I'll buy any of them. The Lunasol looks interesting but I'm not likely going to be able to afford it. The Arc PD is promising as well, but my fear is that based upon the apparently huge amount of time and resources that have gone into this light the cost may be excessive for what looked like it might be a production PD with digitial innards - and the promise of a production price point. If it's near or over $300 I'd bide my time and try to pickup a McGizmo PD.

The HDS is the biggest mystery really. We've seen some stuff from Henry and the old EDCs were great lights. I still have mine and it still gets frequent use. If it represents a real leap forward like the EDC series did, and HDS already has a price point history that is more in my range - that would be my most likely purchase. But really...

:shrug: