*new* Fenix LD09

wingspar

Newly Enlightened
Really?? Do you've a money-tree or something? :D

Pics! Pics! :D

No money tree. Retired on a fixed income. The PD30 is the most expensive light I own, including the Thrunite TN12 2014 I recently ordered and should have it this week. The PD30 is my favorite light. All bought over a period of time. Photo shows all but another LD10 I've purchased since I took the photo. The photo is a little over 3 years old.

original.jpg

wingspar

Newly Enlightened
I agree. I use the moonlight on my SC52w, H600w, H52w all the time. If I had the 4-mode instead of 3-mode on my L10 and L10c, I would use those often as well.

Just a few uses:

- All throughout the night while backpacking or camping
- Kayaking at night (hate blinding myself while trying to enjoy the darkness and stars)
- Going to bed late trying not to wake up my wife
- Walking through the house in the middle of the night
- Reading a menu in a dark restaurant (haven't done this yet, but I'm sure I will in the future)
- Reading a program at a concert or play
- And probably checking on the baby at night (he's due any day now!)
- To provide just enough light to see what I'm eating while watching a movie in the basement on the projector (ceiling bounce from the table next to the couch)

I still may end up with one anyway since I really like the Fenix quality.

I'd have to agree with your uses. I saw a lot of people showing distaste for lights with a "Moonlight" function, but I know a moonlight function has it's place, and some day they will see the light.
icon10.gif

wingspar

Newly Enlightened
An 8 lumen low is kinda high for a small light like this though (and esp. the E05 SS), and I'm sorry to see them slowly dropping what used to be their 3 lm low mode for all their lights. For me it's about the emergency runtime and reasonably material mode spacing (with 55>130 being particularly immaterial).

My LD10's low mode is 3 lumens and it's blinding in the middle of the night when all I want to do is find my way to the kitchen, or find out where the cat went to.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LD10's low mode is 3 lumens and it's blinding in the middle of the night when all I want to do is find my way to the kitchen, or find out where the cat went to.

Well said young man,newbies should read what the poster has said here 3 lumens is very bright when you wake needing the loo.To me all good flash-lights should have a user friendly moon mode which is ideal for menu reading in a restaurant without making you look like the town clown because you have a torch in your pocket.

wingspar

Newly Enlightened
I think he might mean he only owns Fenix lights. Not all of them :)

Correct, specially if you Read my post #41 with the photo of my Fenix lights.

Since I last posted, I have received my Thrunite TN12 (2014) and have used the 0.3 lumens mode and like it, but I used it my vehicle last night, and it was brighter than I expected for what I wanted at the time.

Groosome

Newly Enlightened
I thought I posted but maybe my browser had a problem:
Another difference with the new model is the anti roll moulded/machined features but I guess that's pretty obvious by the photos by now :)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Does NOT have memory. When you turn the light on, it comes on in the mid output mode"

I like that. 55lm is a very good allround level for a 1AA light and will be the most used. This means that you will never be unsure if it starts on mid or high mode, which can be the case with memory.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Powernoodle says lose the SOS and add a strobe. I'm betting that no one has actually used the SOS in an emergency.

Agreed, I'd guess that the amount of real use for SOS mode is probably once in a lifetime for 1 out of 5,000+ owners. Makes you wonder why it's such a staple feature. Still, I don't mind having it there so long as it's hidden. At least it doesn't dazzle and produce nausea like strobe does.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even .oooo3 lumens I've found to be a little too bright in some instances. For example, I only use night vision to take a leak, after hours.

DQD

Newly Enlightened
The LD09 looks like a rebirth of the LD10, maybe from people not liking the interface of the new Fenix lights? The forward button. I haven't kept up with lights for a while, but Fenix did away with the LD10 and came out with the LD12 with that forward switch for changing modes. I prefer tail clicky's for going thru the modes. No searching for a switch in the dark. I have two LD10's and have given them away as Christmas presents. Gave one to my other half who lost it and replaced it with an LD12. It's a nice light, and if you can find that forward switch in the dark, I supposed it would be ok. The beam is nicer than the LD10. I'll give it that. I don't like lights that remember the last mode you had the light on either.

This was my thought about it as well. I like my LD10 though and would love to replace it with this light. I do own the PD22, LD22 and PD32UE though which all have the extra side switch, but I don't like the side switch too much compared to the predecessors of these. I am able to find the side switch if I need it, but I prefer switching modes with the tail clicky, because it is a lot easier and more intuitive to me.

I think I would prefer the LD10 to the LD12 precisely because of the lack of a side switch. I had an LD22 and the side switch was nice for quick mode changes without changing hand positions while holding the light, but the side switch on my LD22 got beat up pretty quickly. I'm wondering how well the Fenix side switches will hold up to long-term hard use. Also, although I never had a problem with mine, switches are a common failure point, so I would rather have one than two, and tail switches are easier to replace.

wjv

Enlightened
Seems too close to the LD10

I really like the 3, 13, 45 & 100 modes on the LD10 versus the modes that the LD09 offers.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Looks like an older model LD10 without the annoying side-switch of the new version.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've asked Fenix to add a real low mode....said so many customers want this....Hope the next generation will have good low modes...

I agree. I like the look of LD09 and think the perfect modes would be 1-30-100lm. I am looking forward to read some review of it. According to the specs it always starts at mid mode but no information about the order after that, if it's mid-low-high.

Last edited:

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
My LD09 came Friday and I am still not sure how I feel about it.

I was hoping that the clicky would be the same hybrid that is on the TK09, with the momentary on of a forward, but the mode changing of a reverse, but it is just a standard forward clicky. This means that you must quickly select the mode while in momentary before clicking it on.

As far as the order is concerned, it is medium-low-high. The beam is nice and even with a good tint.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LD09 came Friday and I am still not sure how I feel about it.

I was hoping that the clicky would be the same hybrid that is on the TK09, with the momentary on of a forward, but the mode changing of a reverse, but it is just a standard forward clicky. This means that you must quickly select the mode while in momentary before clicking it on.

As far as the order is concerned, it is medium-low-high. The beam is nice and even with a good tint.

Thanks for the information! I am not sure I completetely understand your explanation of the switch function. Not your bad but my lack of understanding of the expressions.
Do I get it right: if I want to start with low mode I do two fast presses on the button, the first press half and the second full press?