New Fenix TK10/T11 (replacing T1?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Fenix TK10/T11 (replacing T1)

When you say "the other Fenix lights" are not well heat-sinked,
are you including the predecessor to the TK10, in other words the T1?

Although I haven't seen the T1 in person, from the pictures it looks like
it would be more than adequate to cope with the output on high for an
extended period of time.

The walls are extremely thick anodised aluminium and provided there is
an adequate thermal path to conduct the heat from the led to these walls,
there should be no problem with a light of this size.

In the much smaller Fenix lights, its common sense not to keep them
on high for too long. When you feel the light becoming very hot, its time
to dial down the output.

There is just not sufficient surface-area of metal in the smaller lights,
regardless of the actual heat-sink used, to dissipate the heat effectively
away from the led.

I don't own a T1. So I don't know if Fenix warns you about overheating issues in Turbo mode with that light. This warning appears with my L2D and several other Fenix models having the Q5 emitter. It could be Fenix is protecting themselves more than the people they warn. There is a warranty with these lights and I suppose they don't want trouble should people run them full throttle for too long.

I really don't know much about heat sinking in anything but the p120 which is specifically designed with heat sinks and thermal protection. However, that is a $170 light and shouldn't be compared with a T1 or T10. Furthermore, it produces fewer lumens and may not really need all this protection unless the light is exposed to abuse (leaving it on in your pocket or backpack). It just seems that some theoretical issues with overheating with lower outputs for which Fenix gives warning, may become more real the more lumens and the more heat that is generated. Of course more lumens doesn't necessarily mean more heat, provided the lumens are generated more efficiently. Certainly, to some extent, that is the case with the Q5's. More light with better runtimes, means more lumens with less energy expenditure per minute. Hopefully, the beefier T10 can absorb the heat better. It will be interesting to see if their warning is still given, though if it were me, I would probably just ignore the warning and use the light.

Marduke

Flashaholic

I don't own a T1. So I don't know if Fenix warns you about overheating issues in Turbo mode with that light. This warning appears with my L2D and several other Fenix models having the Q5 emitter. It could be Fenix is protecting themselves more than the people they warn. There is a warranty with these lights and I suppose they don't want trouble should people run them full throttle for too long.

I really don't know much about heat sinking in anything but the p120 which is specifically designed with heat sinks and thermal protection. However, that is a $170 light and shouldn't be compared with a T1 or T10. Furthermore, it produces fewer lumens and may not really need all this protection unless the light is exposed to abuse (leaving it on in your pocket or backpack). It just seems that some theoretical issues with overheating with lower outputs for which Fenix gives warning, may become more real the more lumens and the more heat that is generated. Of course more lumens doesn't necessarily mean more heat, provided the lumens are generated more efficiently. Certainly, to some extent, that is the case with the Q5's. More light with better runtimes, means more lumens with less energy expenditure per minute. Hopefully, the beefier T10 can absorb the heat better. It will be interesting to see if their warning is still given, though if it were me, I would probably just ignore the warning and use the light.

Only the L2D/P2D (same light) carries that warning (and not for just the Q5 edition). Like you were informed in your other thread, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. It's a non-issue.

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened

I hope this new light is better heat sinked than the other Fenix Lights. It's nice to have all those Lumens, but then Fenix will probably warn you to be careful and not use them more than 10 minutes.(They do this with most of their other Q5 lights)

Can you imagine a tactical situation where you are carrying this light and have gloves on, but have to worry when 10 minutes approaches. I know we have kicked this issue around on another thread here and people say don't worry about running the light full throttle as long as it is well ventillated. But now we are really cranking up these lumens and potential heat. There has to be a point where some thermal protection would be in order to at least warn you of a problem. I have yet to need my light to run above 120 lumens, so maybe my concerns about overheating are theoretical. It would seem Fenix designs these lights with more and lumens to sell more and more lights. What do you suppose will be the endpoint? When the light catches fire, or burns or blinds your opponent, or yourself? (It reminds me of the Digital cameras and the marketing of cameras with higher and higher megapixels. We trash our old cameras because we think they are obsolete, but rarely do we take advantage of those excessive pixels in the new cameras we buy.)

When I received my T1 in the mail a few weeks ago, I had a little bit of a surprise. Upon opening the package, I found that the flashlight was ON, in TURBO mode, nonetheless! There was a dim light coming from it, but I can't actually figure out how long it had been on. The batteries were nearly spent.

The padded envelope it was shipped in was sealed when I opened it, but the plastic clamshell factory packaging was a bit smooshed. Between the plastic packaging and the tailfins protecting the switch, I cannot imagine how the flashlight was turned on in transit. I doubt seriously that the seller shipped it to me turned on. Leave it to the US Postal Service!

Anyway, the point of my story is, that the plastic packaging and the padded envelope it was mailed in showed absolutely no signs of melting or other heat damage. In that sealed environment it didn't damage the packaging or the flashlight. I put a fresh set of batteries in the T1 and it worked just fine, brighter than any other flashlight I own.

Just some food for thought.

-- Frank

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon

I hope this new light is better heat sinked than the other Fenix Lights. It's nice to have all those Lumens, but then Fenix will probably warn you to be careful and not use them more than 10 minutes.(They do this with most of their other Q5 lights)

Can you imagine a tactical situation where you are carrying this light and have gloves on, but have to worry when 10 minutes approaches. I know we have kicked this issue around on another thread here and people say don't worry about running the light full throttle as long as it is well ventillated. But now we are really cranking up these lumens and potential heat. There has to be a point where some thermal protection would be in order to at least warn you of a problem. I have yet to need my light to run above 120 lumens, so maybe my concerns about overheating are theoretical. It would seem Fenix designs these lights with more and lumens to sell more and more lights. What do you suppose will be the endpoint? When the light catches fire, or burns or blinds your opponent, or yourself? (It reminds me of the Digital cameras and the marketing of cameras with higher and higher megapixels. We trash our old cameras because we think they are obsolete, but rarely do we take advantage of those excessive pixels in the new cameras we buy.)

The t1 and t11 don't have any heat issues what-so-ever, I have used the t1 alot and never even the slightest issue, and like I said in the other thread I have used a p2d on turbo for extended periods and haven't had any issues there either, so here is my advice; put down the owners manual and start using the damn thing.

wishywashy7

Enlightened

There has to be a point where some thermal protection would be in order to at least warn you of a problem. I have yet to need my light to run above 120 lumens, so maybe my concerns about overheating are theoretical.

dear Baby Doc,

I have a T1 and have used it in turbo (225 emitter lumens) for much longer than 10 minutes without any apparent ill effects. The massive head/bezel does more than a good enough job to heatsink. The head was never too hot to touch, just warm. :twothumbs

I suspect that the TK10 would be no different, just like a T1 with much more refined ergonomics (removable clip, grip ring, etc.). Will post a review as soon as mine arrives:popcorn:

Cheers,

wishy

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember someone had thier P3D turned on on turbo in thier holster once, and didnt know, was it you marduke? either way, or maybe it was monocrom, i remember an "m", anyway, i cant remember what happened after that..but yeah, someone did that.

My P1D gets hot on turbo fairly quickly. The body heats up like anything, but only on turbo. Thats to be expected, because the surface area of metal is to small to be able to sink the heat. On the bigger lights like the T1, should not be a problem, especially if youve got your hand on it, which is what you should be doing anyway. FYI, its not that LED light is inherently hot, its the electronic process of producing the light that generates heat. I am also constantly worried that the CIRCUITS in my DIY lights will overheat and :poof:

and actually, most lights are , as you say babydoc,"specifically designed with heat sinks" although, given, actual thermal protection is rarer. Thermal protected lights come up to be very expensive, like you say the 120P. also, the Gladius, and the upcoming ARC6/new LS.

Also, just food for thought, with thermal protection, the lights dims or goes out the second excessive heating is detected, not good for tactical situations either, youll still have to take note how long youve been using your light. :)

Crenshaw

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon

Interesting & nice, but where-or-where is my Tactical 2xAA light?:popcorn:

its already been made. the fenix l2d-ce is probably as close as its gonna get. most tactical lights are made in the 2xcr123 format and for a reason, the cr123 batteries are more durable than Alkaline AA's and durability is sort of important in a tactical light.

husky20

Banned

come on 400+ lumen's i know your right there fenix.when they do im so there.I cant wait probably this summer i hope!:knight:

KuoH

Newly Enlightened

I just now realized that my T1 didn't come with any batteries! I'm so used to batteries NOT being included in most things that it completely slipped my mind! Now I'm wondering if mine was a return/reject from someone else, as it occasionally goes into an odd flickering after a few seconds in Turbo mode. :sigh:

KuoH

When I received my T1 in the mail a few weeks ago, I had a little bit of a surprise. Upon opening the package, I found that the flashlight was ON, in TURBO mode, nonetheless! There was a dim light coming from it, but I can't actually figure out how long it had been on. The batteries were nearly spent.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

Alright 4sevens... time to flex your might...

Fenix would make my dreams come true with a Seoul P7-powered, Dereelight CL1H v3 killer that also takes the P60 modules and 18650 (along with CR123 cells) cells and has a great interface like the P2D Rebel I have. It could follow the lines of the T10, but there would also be the gentleman's version in a P3D'esque-like model as well.

Hint... Hint... I need this by June for annual training. My P2D will fit the bill, it just won't be as impressive or useful. I need a smart-thrower. A category that hasn't yet seemed to be invented.

Also, a Novatac P120 killer would be awesome. Say a Fenix P200D... that would be sweet... and shove a Seoul P7 in one of those and give us a solid, tank-like construction with around 200 lumens out-the-front with programmable modes and I'm game!!! All the way!

Now, if you agree, let me see your "+1" to follow... who else is with me?

-RC

P.S. I know this is asking a lot, but if Fenix can't do this who can?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alright 4sevens... time to flex your might...

Fenix would make my dreams come true with a Seoul P7-powered, Dereelight CL1H v3 killer that also takes the P60 modules and 18650 (along with CR123 cells) cells and has a great interface like the P2D Rebel I have. It could follow the lines of the T10, but there would also be the gentleman's version in a P3D'esque-like model as well.

Hint... Hint... I need this by June for annual training. My P2D will fit the bill, it just won't be as impressive or useful. I need a smart-thrower. A category that hasn't yet seemed to be invented.

Also, a Novatac P120 killer would be awesome. Say a Fenix P200D... that would be sweet... and shove a Seoul P7 in one of those and give us a solid, tank-like construction with around 200 lumens out-the-front with programmable modes and I'm game!!! All the way!

Now, if you agree, let me see your "+1" to follow... who else is with me?

-RC

P.S. I know this is asking a lot, but if Fenix can't do this who can?
Give me a few days and let me see what I can swing. I'll be visiting in a few
weeks perhaps I can throw together a proto. Anyone know where I can get
one of them quad die P7's? :)

Marduke

Flashaholic

Give me a few days and let me see what I can swing. I'll be visiting in a few
weeks perhaps I can throw together a proto. Anyone know where I can get
one of them quad die P7's? :)

I've seen a few showing up on BST

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I remember someone had thier P3D turned on on turbo in thier holster once, and didnt know, was it you marduke? either way, or maybe it was monocrom, i remember an "m", anyway, i cant remember what happened after that..but yeah, someone did that....

Crenshaw

Yup, that was me. :eek:

Obviously, not done intentionally. The light must have been on for at least 45 minutes straight, on Turbo. Got way too hot to touch. Took several minutes to cool down just enough so it was warm.... Instead of Why-did-Satan-borrow-my-flashlight hot.

Happy to report, my P3D Q5 is still going strong. Still use it as my main work light. :)

BTW.... Anyone know if the Tk10 is going to be available in black? Anybody?

Monocrom

Flashaholic

i would put money on the tk10 being available in black, there is no reason for it not to be.

If it is available in black, I'll definitely be putting money on it. :paypal:

JKL

Enlightened

:twothumbs Fenix TK10/T11 black :thanks:

Status
Not open for further replies.