*NEW* Fenix UC30 Rechargeable Flashlight

desmobob

Enlightened
I ordered one as a gift for a non-flashaholic. Should be an ideal light for that kind of thing, right? Battery Junction says they expect to ship then by April 15.
I really like my UC35.

Take it easy,
Bob

lightskies

Newly Enlightened
It says "anti-roll", but seems like that is relying on the small side switch. I don't see anything else to keep it from rolling all over.

I would be surprised if it didn't tail stand looking at some of the photos.

There's a first look video here. You were right, the anti-roll is relying on the side switch and appears pretty lame. And it does tail stand properly.

dazzleaj

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered it for under 42 bucks with the discount code 30offFenix at Midwest Blade company. Sale runs through April 3.
Yesterday I ordered a TK35UE for about 91 and three days ago ordered the E35UE for 35.50! Just blew the flashlight budget for this year....
:crazy:
I have spent the better part of 8 hours reading about these lights and their counterparts and just could not justify missing the great 30% off!!
Wifes gonna shoot me.
:shakehead

feifei

Banned
I ordered one as a gift for a non-flashaholic. Should be an ideal light for that kind of thing, right? Battery Junction says they expect to ship then by April 15.
I really like my UC35.

Take it easy,
Bob

How is your new UC35?

Last edited:

lightskies

Newly Enlightened
Finally arrived. My new favorite light.

9ufCrak.jpg

rc51mike

Newly Enlightened
I got mine and am pleased. UI is straight forward, I like the reverse clicky side switch, it feels well made. Maybe a little large for some pockets but not untenable. A clip would be nice but I'm not losing sleep over it. Can't comment on lumens and such- I'll leave that to the pros but I'm happy with the output in such a small package at a reasonable price.

dazzleaj

Newly Enlightened
I have been using mine for a few months now. I really like the two hole lanyard fastening system as it allows the lanyard to be hooked on the side of the light so as to not interfere with tail standing. You can see it in the video that lightskies posted above. Just because of that feature alone it has won the honor of being my bedside light replacing the PD22UE. As a really unexpected bonus in the bedside role, it has a "glow in the dark" switch cover! I have never really thought much of that "cheesy" approach to marketing but much to my surprise, it actually works!!! I leave it in the low mode standing on its tail and if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can see it glowing a faint green and simply reach out and squeeze it on. In low, the light bouncing off the ceiling is perfect for middle of the night illumination without blinding or waking up my wife. As I always have chargers for phones, tablets, blue tooth, etc on the bedside table, the USB charging is Very convenient. As it will also operate with the USB plugged in, you are never without a light even if the battery needs charging.

I took it to China recently and was very happy that it had all the functions mentioned above as I had the opportunity to need all of them, which brings me to the shortcomings as they apply to me and my needs.

The first and most glaring is the side switch itself. I put it in my carry on computer case with it relatively close to the zipper for easy access. Somewhere during the 24 hours from leaving the house to arriving at my final destination, it was subject to enough pressure for long enough to activate it!! Fortunately I had it on the mid setting which gives 11 hours of run-time and doesn't generate much heat. The switch LED was glowing red showing a need to recharge but the light was still bright. I put it on charge and was able to use it in the room as a night light at the same time. If it had been on high or turbo it would have generated a great deal of heat and drained the battery to shutoff. This would also apply to the E35UE.

Second shortcoming is also the side switch. I have the E35UE which also has the side switch. Both of these lights are so far out of the mainstream of operational control movements that it takes a moment of thought, usually after a failed attempt, to operate them. If I have been using any standard tail switched or push-button side switched light, I need to "shift" to the push and hold mindset. When I pick up a standard push type again, I find myself holding the button in, like an idiot, instead of continuing to cycle the switch! My wife, who is definitely Not a flashaholic but who none the less uses whatever light I have laying around calls the "push and hold" Stupid! She is very patient and understanding about her husband's malady. This is the first strongly negative thing she has ever said about any of the over 100 lights I have brought home over the years. This is significant negative from a not so casual observer. I now keep these out of her way.

The third is the beam configuration. This throws a tight ball of light. It was impressive in China to light up something 100 meters out but on low or mid level it is not good at all for taking a walk in the evening with several people. It throws
such a small puddle of light that you need to keep swinging it from side to side to light the path for more than two people. This then night blinds the very people you are trying to help. If you put it up on high so enough light spills over into their path for them to see, you get flashed by oncoming cars and cursed by others walking in your direction. I think this is a domestic light, not a tactical one and should have a flooded beam.

Fourth is its size and weight with no carry clip. It is just a bit too large for front pocket carry. When we were going out for the day and we would be back after dark I put it in the computer case, away from the possibility of bumps. When I needed to get it out for later use, I put it in my back pocket next to my wallet. This kept it vertical and if it got bumped and came on I would feel the heat and turn it off. I kept it on high for the heat generation. A belt/pocket clip would have been greatly appreciated.

Bottom line:
If you want only one light or decide on the "Push and Hold" format only; or if you relegate it to a car light, or to the bed side where the glow in the dark and USB features are marvelous, then this is a great light in spite of the shortcomings.

I have ordered the UC35 which is also USB charged and has the glow in the dark button but is tactical and has a carry clip. I will look for a stippled reflector to try for a floodier beam, if such a thing exists!

Just for clarification, this is one mans opinion, Not a deceleration of war!

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm a shortened not really waterproof UC35 that appears to have only one switch. Normally I jump on anything thats a Fenix and new but in this case Ill stick to my UC35.

It is waterproof though. I bet it's basically above IPX6, but they just wanted to make absolute sure so people can't complain and warranty wise that they note that it will be even more sealed with the cover on. Not a big deal to me. Unless you want to use it as a dive light really deep there should be no problem.

I personally think it's amazing and maybe not noted here enough recently that for 60 bucks now you can get a light that comes with an 18650 and rechargeable solution that does nearly 1000 lumens. That's crazy.

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
It is waterproof though. I bet it's basically above IPX6, but they just wanted to make absolute sure so people can't complain and warranty wise that they note that it will be even more sealed with the cover on. Not a big deal to me. Unless you want to use it as a dive light really deep there should be no problem.

I personally think it's amazing and maybe not noted here enough recently that for 60 bucks now you can get a light that comes with an 18650 and rechargeable solution that does nearly 1000 lumens. That's crazy.

Hi martinaee,only when the Micro-USB port is covered will the UC30 be waterproof to IPX-8 standard.

JohnRS

Newly Enlightened
There are two more differences between the UC30 and the UC35 which I have noticed.

1) The UC35 ships with a 3200 mAh battery while the UC30 ships with a 2600 mAh battery. I would think that upgrading the UC30 to a 3400 mAh battery would improve run time by about 30%. Upgrading the UC35 to a 3400 mAh battery would improve run time by about a more modest 6%.

2) The UC35 has 2 throttle steps. Starting on Turbo: Drop to High after 5 minutes, then to Mid after 30 minutes. The highest mode that you can run continuously is Mid (180 lumens).

The UC30 has 1 throttle step. Starting on Turbo: Drop to High after 5 minutes. It will then run continuously on High (400 lumens) for the duration.

Thus, after the first 35 minutes the UC30 will run brighter than the UC35 - for correspondingly less time, of course. But you can stretch the time by manually using the Low (110 lumens) mode instead.

JohnRS

Newly Enlightened
There is one more difference. I understand that the UC30 exhibits parasitic drain when off. Thus you should twist the tail cap to disable it when storing it. The UC35 doesn't have this problem.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me if the UC30 (and UC35, for that matter) will fire and charge from button-top 18650s? I haven't been able to get a definitive answer anywhere. The marketing materials seem to show that the Fenix batteries have a wide, slightly raised positive terminal, and I want to make sure the light will charge a broad array of button-top cells. Thanks!

dazzleaj

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me if the UC30 (and UC35, for that matter) will fire and charge from button-top 18650s? I haven't been able to get a definitive answer anywhere. The marketing materials seem to show that the Fenix batteries have a wide, slightly raised positive terminal, and I want to make sure the light will charge a broad array of button-top cells. Thanks!

I just stuck a Nitecore 3400 button top in it and had no problems. It uses the conical spring found in so many lights for the positive contact. Looks like it will take anything to me. I have quite a few cells from old laptop batteries and they won't have any problems either.

Hadn't thought about it but the light would make a dandy portable charger in a pinch. I have put a tactical button one in the car along with a cheapo (for the really dirty work). Have USB in the car and now I can charge the cheapo's battery in the car if I really need to! Neat!:thumbsup:

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
There are two more differences between the UC30 and the UC35 which I have noticed.

1) The UC35 ships with a 3200 mAh battery while the UC30 ships with a 2600 mAh battery. I would think that upgrading the UC30 to a 3400 mAh battery would improve run time by about 30%. Upgrading the UC35 to a 3400 mAh battery would improve run time by about a more modest 6%.

2) The UC35 has 2 throttle steps. Starting on Turbo: Drop to High after 5 minutes, then to Mid after 30 minutes. The highest mode that you can run continuously is Mid (180 lumens).

The UC30 has 1 throttle step. Starting on Turbo: Drop to High after 5 minutes. It will then run continuously on High (400 lumens) for the duration.

Thus, after the first 35 minutes the UC30 will run brighter than the UC35 - for correspondingly less time, of course. But you can stretch the time by manually using the Low (110 lumens) mode instead.

There is one more difference,UC35 has tail switch while UC30 doesn't have

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one of these to keep in my car. In very hot and very cold months I'm planning to switch it to 2xCR123A. I'm curious as to how the light will behave if m̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶a̶n̶c̶é̶e̶ someone plugs it in to charge while it's loaded with primaries. I'm assuming that the designers anticipated this scenario, but I haven't seen anything online or in the user manual. I'm wondering if I need to tape over the USB cover when it has primaries in it.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not %100 sure.
If that model is, not theone where you have to click button to start charging?
If it is, it probably just starts charging what ever is in there at the time.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought one of these to keep in my car. In very hot and very cold months I'm planning to switch it to 2xCR123A. I'm curious as to how the light will behave if m̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶a̶n̶c̶é̶e̶ someone plugs it in to charge while it's loaded with primaries. I'm assuming that the designers anticipated this scenario, but I haven't seen anything online or in the user manual. I'm wondering if I need to tape over the USB cover when it has primaries in it.

Might be a good idea. I do not know the fact, but I think you are overly optimistic in assuming that the "designers anticipated this scenario." Perhaps they did, but the downside in case your assumption is wrong could be unpleasant.

I, too, made a quick read-through of the User Manual. I could not find any warning about trying to charge CR123A primaries.

Latest posts