*NEW* Fenix UC30 Rechargeable Flashlight

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
but I think you are overly optimistic in assuming that the "designers anticipated this scenario."

You're right. "Hoping" would have been a better word than "assuming." :) If they didn't, then there really needs to be a warning in the user manual.

dazzleaj

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one of these to keep in my car. In very hot and very cold months I'm planning to switch it to 2xCR123A. I'm curious as to how the light will behave if m̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶a̶n̶c̶é̶e̶ someone plugs it in to charge while it's loaded with primaries. I'm assuming that the designers anticipated this scenario, but I haven't seen anything online or in the user manual. I'm wondering if I need to tape over the USB cover when it has primaries in it.

I think you'll be better off by putting the primaries in an appropriate case along with the light and change them out when needed. This gives you protection from mistakes, ready access to the primaries as backup all year, and full use of the OEM cell.

It is a good idea to leave it on low power when storing it laying down with other things. I had it come on in my suitcase on a 15 hour flight to China. It wasn't on HI fortunately but even on medium the inside of the bag was hot. Because of this, I put the UC35 in the car. It has the tail switch. Also the Wife has always been confused about the push and hold operation of any light. She always goes for the tail switch. I am sure now that all lights in her reach are tactical! She puts up with my Flashlight Problem, it's the least I can do!

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
I think you'll be better off by putting the primaries in an appropriate case along with the light and change them out when needed. This gives you protection from mistakes, ready access to the primaries as backup all year, and full use of the OEM cell.

It is a good idea to leave it on low power when storing it laying down with other things.

Both excellent suggestions. I might buy a little Pelican case for it. Will the light not lock out with a quarter-turn of the tailcap?

dazzleaj

Newly Enlightened
Both excellent suggestions. I might buy a little Pelican case for it. Will the light not lock out with a quarter-turn of the tailcap?

Yes it does but I seldom remember which lights do and which don't. I generally just turn a light off and set it down. I am not in the habit of turning a tail cap. If it has a case or a belt pouch I always stuff it back in to keep it from getting scratched or misplaced, both easy at night in a glove box.

I think I will use a real actual battery storage container for the primaries and leave the light in the Ziploc Freezer bag it calls home. I really like the idea of the primaries as backup. On low they last one heck of a long time. Like one guy said, this could be a life saver!

The little glow in the dark switch is a real plus with the transparent bag also. You can actually see it!!

CandleLite

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a UC30 because it seems to have a lot of desirable features and I trust the Fenix name. I have 3 older models that are functioning as promised for the last 8 years but are beginning to show their technologic age. Reading the manual I am confused by the charging instructions. It says to plug in the USB cable and then click the tail switch to start the charging process. There is no tail switch. Do they mean the side switch?

Thanks,

Jimbomex

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a UC30 because it seems to have a lot of desirable features and I trust the Fenix name. I have 3 older models that are functioning as promised for the last 8 years but are beginning to show their technologic age. Reading the manual I am confused by the charging instructions. It says to plug in the USB cable and then click the tail switch to start the charging process. There is no tail switch. Do they mean the side switch?

Thanks,

Jimbomex

Yes, that's what they meant.

rc51mike

Newly Enlightened
I just plug it in and the switch turns red. Turns green when charged. No button pushing needed.

LEE628

Newly Enlightened
I am considering the UC30 (or UC35) to replace an older AA Fenix.

Can you leave the UC30 plugged in to the USB all the time? (Ready to go, always charged...) Or does it need to be unplugged when it's done charging? I'm new to the USB charging feature and can't tell if leaving it plugged in for days or weeks is OK.

Thanks,

LEE628

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah actually the UC30 is a great little flame thrower for the money that and its much shorter than the UC35. Just cannot be without my tail switch...oh and as far as I know you are good to go on the charging. I wouldnt make a habit of leaving it plugged in all the time but its not gonna blow the light up or anything

Latest posts