New incan flashlight in 2020: STILL possible!

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered Malkoff's last 2AA body only, and a smoothie BK Elite head with a couple of HO-E1A from Lumens Factory. I had been meaning to get that Malkoff body for a few years, and when I saw Gene's new design for the 1AA body, I figured he was also retiring this style of 2AA body to replace with something similar to the new 1AA body. My 2AA E body set includes the Outdoorsman, DSS, Vital Gear twisty (also 3xCR123A), UBHII (also 3xCR123A), and now the Malkoff 2AA. 5 is an odd number, need to find one more 2AA E Series body. Does it exist?

I have never had a chance to try Mark's HO-E1A. I have been using Tad Customs' A3712 lamps with 2AA, and they're better for 3.7V cells; with 2 Eneloop cells at 2.4V, they're a little dim. Should get brighter light and slightly more runtime from HO-E1A, which is 3V @1.15A next to Tad's 3.7V @1.2A. I'll save my Tad Customs lamps for other lights. Sure wish we could continue to source Tad Customs lamps somehow.

Edit: not the last 2AA body only... now the product page indicates there are 2 left. Buy one, two more appear!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
What about swapping in a mcclicky into the seraph tailcap Buck? Any better?
I'm waiting on my first ever Seraph so I'm not familiar with its tailcap.

The tailcap switch is good for up to 3 Amps and is of good quality. No flickering while pressing it etc. so I seriously doubt if swapping it would make much of a difference.

What I meant was does the McClicky use a firm press like the stock Seraph. The McClicky in my MD2 is actually pretty soft compared to the stock Seraph button that seems to be biased toward signaling like an Elzetta or SureFire.

It's too bad Tad's is shutting things down. That adapter and bulb combination is a pretty good setup.

Maglite still has some incan ML25 C cell lights called ML25IT. Using eneloops with those is like being back to the future.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite still has some incan ML25 C cell lights called ML25IT. Using eneloops with those is like being back to the future.

4Io7Fn5.jpg

Poked a massive hole in the reflector, bent pins inward, and ran one of these without a lens (lamp stands out past the bezel just a tiny bit) in a Solitaire once with Efest IMR10440. Once. Bright, nice color temperture, fun and floody, but socket melted and the Solitaire was sacrificed for that one run well under 20 minutes, but that is the low capacity of 10440, I am sure the lamp was fine.

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
That's cool. I did same thing with a Mini Mag. I gently used a drill bit ( held in my hand) to slightly enlarge the reflector to accept this bi pin bulb. Put two AA in and was greeted to a nice white beam. Brighter too! 5 minutes "work" was all it took.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I meant was does the McClicky use a firm press like the stock Seraph. The McClicky in my MD2 is actually pretty soft compared to the stock Seraph button that seems to be biased toward signaling like an Elzetta or SureFire.

Unless I am mistaken, there are two kinds of McClickies, soft press and firm press, and if that isn't indicated in a McClicky tail cap and switch sale, you'll probably get soft press.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
New incan right here,

yoRp8A0.jpg

z6to3jl.jpg

SGdUHMv.jpg

Lumens Factory Elite Smoothie BK w/ HO-E1A (3V 1.15A), Malkoff 2AA body, & 2x Eneloop AA

Brighter than I expected and more pocketable than I expected. I could use 2 of these, so I may repeat this easy exercise when I am able.

:)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a really sharp looking light. [emoji106]🏻

Thanks nbp, means a lot to me coming from one among those I believe knows what decent looking lights look like. I had been meaning to get that Malkoff body for ages... and in the meantime, Mark started producing and selling Elite heads. The HO-E1A is a real surprise, too. I should have known it made decent white lumens. All my other 2AA lights can't fully run the A3712 I have in them, dimmer and yellow, but that lamp is for Li-ion, with which it does shine bright with such lovely spill.

nbp

Flashaholic
That head and body look made for each other, nice clean lines. Gotta appreciate lights that can run on good old dependable Eneloops too. You're all ready for winter!

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chillinn: I'm in the process of getting a similar setup. Starting with the 1xcr123a and want to get the 16650 and 18650 bodies. Didn't think of the 2xAA. Looks like a great setup. Thanks for the photos.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just be aware (I knew from the Malkoff 1AA bodies, but forgot), Malkoff's springs are somewhat proud and need to relax a bit. Don't throw your newest cell in first or you might see a little crush on the positive terminal. Greenbean explained to me how to remove the o-ring, boot and McClicky in Malkoff bodies to relax the spring in safety outside the body, but it was too late for one of my poor Eneloops: the one on top got a little dimple in the positive terminal from the spring squeeze against the bottom of the potted lamp. The spring does eventually relax from cells being in there over time, if my 1AA bodies are any indication. My next cell swaps will be with older cells until that spring takes it easy.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That head and body look made for each other, nice clean lines. Gotta appreciate lights that can run on good old dependable Eneloops too. You're all ready for winter!

I am really digging the Leef KT4 build Greenbean hooked me up with, wonderful equipment with a truly beautiful beam. The FM1909 I ordered arrived, but the WA1185 Greenbean left in it is set just so right, I don't want to mess with swapping the lamp yet.

I rock Malkoff's 1AA with Elite head and MN02 also, love the 1AA form factor, but I have to run AW IMR14500 650mAh, and the runtime is not so great (which is why I use MN02 in it) now that I am used to the KeepPower IMR18350 1200mAh. I have some Vapcell IMR14500 1000mAh on the way from AliExpress, and no telling how long it will take them to get here. I wish someone would discover an extant or create either a G2.something bipin (whatever fits Tad's E socket) or E Series potted lamp that was tuned for a single Eneloop, 1.2V 2A, or maybe 1.1V 3A. Should give decent runtime, maybe an hour and 40 minutes, but I wonder how bright that could be. Is it possible to squeeze near 3V incan brightness out of a single 1.2V cell? Hope we find out someday.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been really satisfied running HO-E1A on 2x NiMH. Bright and good runtime, I think an hour and a half, but I haven't been paying attention because I am using older cells. Got a couple duraleaks at the check out aisle earlier today for a runtime experiment with the HO-E1A, just to know, just in case I have nothing else. Both cells tested 1.65V. Flashed the bulb. >< I wonder how long the lamp would have lasted on just NiMH. I have an extra HO-E1A, but now I know it can only take 2x NiMH or 1x CR123A, and it will flash at 3.3V. Continuing experiment with A3712 before installing the new HO-E1A with NiMH. Better to use up the duraleaks and get rid of them asap. At 38 minutes, the MN02 on 1x Duracell Solar LiFePO4 3.2V is a touch warmer, but brighter and more intense than A3712 on 2 duraleaks, but the MN02 on 3.7V LiMn is cooler and even more intense than those. A3712 really needs Li-ion to get the proper color temperature. Maybe I'll try a Mini Mag lamp in a Tad E socket with duraleaks some other time. I need to get a Mini Mag... I want to do a runtime contest with one on alkaleaks against the HO-E1A on 2x NiMH.

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Hmm... I didn`t know I had to pay shipping costs on every single item! :(

Product NamePriceQuantityShipping CostSub-total
HO-4 (3.7V, 150 Lumens) High Output Reflector Module$12.991$6.50$19.49
Seraph SP-6, 2 Cell Flashlight. HA3 Black (Body Only)
(Product Option: HA3 Flat/Matt Black, Crenelated Bezel)
$18.501$8.50$27.00
Sub-total:$31.49
Shipping Cost:$15.00
Total:$46.49

especialy when there is No indication of this when checking out!

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can just pick your country in the checkout page without entering other details and the shipping will be calculated.
If you add more than one item of the same type then the shipping will get cheaper (e.g. the lamp has shipping is $6.50 and next one is $3.50).
But I agree that the shipping cost calculation is a bit weird - I think for larger orders you could contact Mark directly for a better deal on combined shipping.
But still shipping a flashlight with packaging and separate lamp with FedEx from HK for $15.00 is still very reasonable. Watch out for customs / import duty in UK.