NEW Inovas spotted at Target!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. Digital devices like cameras and MP3 players have a higher voltage cutoff than most other devices that use AA sized batteries. The NiMH batteries have a flatter discharge curve that runs at a higher voltage steadily (1.2+V) until it reaches the end of it's charge where it takes a nose dive. While the alkaline batteries may have more voltage to start off with, it drops pretty quickly to voltages that are below the minimum level that the digital device requires for the operating level of it's circuits.

NiMH batteries will not last as long as NiCDs can in their overall life cycles, and not as tolerant of temperature extremes, but that part is transparent for the average consumer and are probably better utilized in professional equipment like police flashlights where lots of current is needed and there is readily available resource for charging (patrol car.) The benefit NiMH batteries is that they are not as finicky as NiCDs, don't have the memory issues, can function well without 'conditioning'.

They do require a little care, like recharging. However they can be charged in relatively short periods and many of the consumer market chargers charge in relatively short periods to target the impatient younger crowd. The relatively low cost for AA NiMH batteries along with their increased capacities put them at a level that challenges (and may start to surpass) the capabilities of alkaline batteries even in non-digital devices. Additionally their relative low cost makes these batteries more than pay for themselves after about 4-5 charge cycles, so if you don't get the nominal 500 charge cycles advertised, it's no big thing; you've still come out ahead. Bottom line is that you can get them relatively cheap, abuse them like you never would with NiCDs and still come out ahead. ;)

Bror Jace said:
Brighteyez, I should probably clarify that when I say "a drawerful of batteries," I'm talking about 8-10 batteries. That's a lot for me since I don't get to use my lights that often.

However, I'm thinking more and more about rechargeable batteries. I have lots of memories of olde NiCad rechargeables that lost a lot of power over time. I hear the newer batteries are much better and genuinely worth the trouble and expense.

--- Bror Jace

chumley

Enlightened
I had to get a few things at a nearby Target store yesterday. Of course I had check out the flashlight section and I found a X5 with blue leds still on the rack.

They didn't have the price in the scanner anymore, but they looked up the last known price at $8.64. When I got home I put in new batteries and found that the leds were white, not blue.

I got a white X5 which is what I really wanted anyway. Target must have put a white one in the blue package when they were taking out the batteries in the clearance lights.

I am really happy with the brightness of the new X5's.