New Job, New Light.

Shorttime

Newly Enlightened
The combination of things I want may not exist. But, here goes nothing.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

Budget: negotiable. I'm willing to pay for quality. I'm not willing to pay for a custom.

Format: handheld, and self-contained.

Size: "pocket-sized". 1 inch diameter at the most, and something less than 6 inches, overall.

Emitter/Light source: LED.

Power source: AA's, 18650, 21700. If something else gets me the illumination I want, I'm good with it.

Genuine OTF illumination... I may select myself right out of the market, here. I want something that puts out about 80 Lumens on low, and then steps up to 1,000 Lumens in high. High mode doesn't need to last more than 2 minutes at a time, but I want to be able to access it, even when the battery is low.

All throw, or at least tightly focused. The "inspection beam" style lense is perfect: a bright spot of light that cuts off sharply, with no spill or "hot spot" effect. I feel like it would be more useful to talk about Candela, but I'm not that educated....

Runtime: highly negotiable.

Durability/Usage: well, this is my job so it would be annoying if it stopped working, and it's going to hit the concrete sooner or later. I've never had a flashlight stop working because I exceeded it's durability limits, but I don't intend to try, either.

Tail switch only, with a dead-simple UI: one click turns on to low, second click switches to high, third click turns off.

Material/Finish/Coating: plastic, Aluminum, stainless steel, all are fine.

Water resistance: better make it IPX-7, in case I forget and send it through the wash. Fun facts, the Streamlight Key-Mate is so small and light that you'll forget you took it with you. It also has a very strong pocket clip, and excellent water-resistance.

Needs to have a pocket clip. Needs to be oriented so it clips with the lens pointed down, and keeps a low profile. Coast makes good pocket clips. Streamlight, somehow, does not.

Take a look at the EagTac P200LC2. This is an 18650 light. It gets very close to your desired specifications, with a minor deviation in regard to the your preference for two output levels. The P200LC2 features three user-selectable outputs: low is 40 lumens (80 hours); medium is 320 lumens (6 hours), max is 1286 lumens (3 minutes), gradually dimming thereafter to 1000 lumens (for 1.5 hours) to avoid overheating. Tight beam, although not strictly a "pencil thin" inspection beam. Available in both cool white (CREE XM-L2 U4 Cool White), and neutral white versions (CREE XM-L2 N.W. U2 LED). Good clip, bezel down; sits relatively low in the pocket, with about one inch of the light sitting above the topmost part of the clip. Tail switch activates the light; no side buttons to play with.

There is a sibling light that runs on a 21700 cell - the EagTac T25V. Similar concept, but more robust performance, slightly larger in diameter and longer length. Max output is 3200 LED lumens / 2600 ANSI OTF lumens. Similar beam profile to the P200LC2.

Take a look, and let the community know if these are in the ballpark.

No doubt other recommendations will be offered soon. I look forward to learning your thoughts.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Shorttime

Take a look at the EagTac P200LC2.

I have a P200LC2 (w/219C), and while it's had an easy life so far, I do like it. It might have been discontinued(?) as I think it's been out of stock at my distributor for a good while. I also have a similar model, the P25LC2 (w/SST20), and all the above applies to it as well.

I notice they currently list a similar light in stock (w/ choice of LEDs), the P200LR, and it might be comparable in most respects(?) (I just noticed one of those emitter choices is a 4500K 519A. Hmmm, I wish I hadn't seen that:):

EDIT: I think @Monocrom has a P200LR.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Can confirm that the Eagtac P200LR is an excellent and very underrated light. Be sure to get the one that comes with the Eagtac 18650 battery. Been using it at my 3rd shift job for several weeks now. Hasn't let me down at all.

Three things I don't like:
1) Exposed charging port. Eagtac claims it is waterproof, but they give you a cover for it with the accessories that come with the light. Easy to miss in the bag. I put it on immediately. The cover stays in place.

2) Checkering on the body is basically for looks. Not the smoothest light I've ever owned, but comes very close.

3) Be sure to get an external charger for the battery. Yes, you can charge up the light directly with the included cable. But bizarrely, only Eagtac's cables. No clue why the company did that. As far as I know, no other company does that. So, if the cable stops working, you can't just take a similar cable and plug it into the light. Well, you can. It just won't charge your light.

Still, even with those three issues, fantastic light!

Edit: Clarification.

Last edited:

Shorttime

Newly Enlightened
Huh. I honestly did not think that such a thing existed!

Thank you.

The EagTac P200LR w/ SST40 LED is available from the South America River site for just under $70. They call it "EagleTac", the rest of the numbers match. It looks pretty much like what I'm looking for, but inevitably, I have other questions.

I have a pair of 18650 batteries which have the Streamlight logo on them. I imagine they're the same under the wrapper and will work in the P200, I just want to know if anybody can confirm.

Reading the mode setting options makes me wonder if the instructions are clear about how to set those modes? What has been the experience of the community members when it comes to setup?

Last edited:

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Hi. For some reason EagleTac changed its name to EagTac. Makes no sense to me. I like the lights though. The only one I own that might fit your needs is discontinued so not much help there.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff is perfect, but there is still 1 piece - Noctigon / Emissar with Anduril 2 UI. I have a KR1, it gives pretty good power and range with the Osram diode, especially the W2 option. Anduril will allow you to adjust it to 2 levels of brightness as you require

It holds a maximum of 800-1000 lm for just about 2-3 minutes