New Luxeon: Rebel

moon lander

Enlightened
it looks like people have been soldering the heat pad to their heatsinks, is that better or worse than using thermal epoxy like Arctic Alumina? seems like you would have to use the epoxy if your heatsink is aluminum and not copper.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
SemiMan said:
For modern high volume production, the REBEL is probably the easiest part on the market to use. Pain in the *** to hand prototype, but that does not drive the market. It would be very easy to mount these on a small metal core board.

The intended application is anywhere you need cheap LED lumens from what I can tell. The package is not a detriment to any one making anything in volume.
I think I agree with that. Contentious issues, perhaps, but it arguably fits it with Lumileds' more long-sightedness in tactics, going for high power handling rather than efficiency (K2), and price per lumen and ease of use for industry (Rebel).

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindasabat said:
How do you know that? All I get is a page of what look like old lights using Luxeon LEDs. Is the new stuff hidden somewhere or am I having site problems?

My wording as 'possible' lights is key.
Like other lights such as Ultrafire, with adapting CREEs was fairly seemless.

http://flashlightnews.org/story719.shtml

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

TorchBoy, what the hell are you talking about, it's not my website.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was having site problems. I eventually did get to see the page that said Luxeon Rebel lights coming soon or something to that effect.
orbital said:
My wording as 'possible' lights is key.
Like other lights such as Ultrafire, with adapting CREEs was fairly seemless.
http://flashlightnews.org/story719.shtml
I didn't mean it to sound accusational, I apologize if it did sound that way, I was just looking for where the info was.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be such a good use of it do to its size. Maybe the drop-ins Lighthound was selling can be retro-fitted to use a Rebel?
Also, I'd like to see the new Inova X1 upgraded to use one as opposed to the lame it one it uses now.
nanotech17 said:
imagine solitaire drop in with Luxeon Rebel

Last edited: