NEW Multimode Freelight with constant on etc. etc.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Re: NEW Multimode Freelight Shipping

Ugh, another light! I HAVE to get this one, though. The original freelight was/is awesome....

Streak

Enlightened

Hey Frank,
I'll take my commission now thank you!! Look how many orders the thread generated!! I'm sure you'll find something nice to send all the way to darkest Africa.

I really like this light, In the inetrests of simplicity, I have suggested to the inventor that he maybe does away with 5 levels of brightness, maybe only 100% and 25% and introduces one flash mode.

Etiher way I am sure you well all enjoy this new model. And to those of you who think it's to big. I carry the old model, the new model and a Photon on lanyard clipped on the inside of my pocket. All I need now is a power failure.

arab

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Streak said:
Switch is not a clickie.

From off, one quick press turns on the light and another quick press turns it off. From off hold down the button turns the light on and toggles the modes, release when you find the mode you want.
When on, holding down the button puts you into find in the dark mode and turns the light off. This gets cancelled the next time you turn on the light.

Yes that is a stamp next to the yellow button saying made in Switzerland with an arrow in the middle (which is probably a coded date of manufacture).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Streak,

I have a question concerning the auto off feature. Is this a separate mode as per the Photon P3 or does it apply to all modes. Or, to put it another way, is there any way to configure the light so that, say, the dimmest of the constant on modes will be active until the batteries run out?

I'm not sure if I should thank you for bringing this new light to my attention. I feel - regardless of the answer to the above - that I'm going to have to buy one anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Having said that, I hope the auto off is a selectable mode and doesn't apply to all.

Streak

Enlightened

The Auto off works all of the time in any mode. If on for longer than 10 minutes in any mode it will turn off. To me this is desirable. I feel that it is a weakness in the P3 that you have to program auto off mode as you will almost always never remember to do so and also when you want to use the P3 you want it in your favourite lighting mode not auto off.
It frequently happens that the P3 turns on in my pocket, if it had an all mode auto off I would have gone through far less batteries. I really like the P3 and always have one on me I just wish it had an auto off in all modes!!
It is fairly rare that you will be inconvenienced by an auto turn off after 10 minutes (how often will you have a little pocket light like this on for longer than 10 minutes?).
The unit is water resistant according to the packaging. However I put mine outside at night so that it could start charging at first light, it rained most of the light and the unit was perfect in the morning.

arab

Enlightened

Hi Streak,

Thanks for the response.

The only issue here is that if you want the light to be in mode X which is the, say, 6th mode in the logic, and this is the light mode you choose to read with, then every 10 minutes you will have to go through the reselection process again. Of course, this is balanced against the issue with having it switch on in your pocket or bag. For me I think I'd like it to have less modes (those flashing ones are really a waste of time - I have them on my Photon Fusion and P3s and never use them) which I think you have suggested yourself previously and the auto off as a selectable option. Of course, one man's meat is another man's poison ...

Or maybe those document clips were not such a bad idea afterall ....
InAction.jpg

Streak

Enlightened

Hi Alan,
Yes I agree, the best option will be to have a selectable auto off available for use in any mode. The down side is that you forget to select it, light turns on in the pocket or wherever and the battery is then flat when you need it.

I think Avexa have tried to make the light as idiot proof as possible.

Reading for long periods using the Freelight would be quite an unusual application. I would rather go for some typr of LED based headlamp or the Opalec Maglite in a headband.

Cheers from Sunny (but cold) South Africa

arab

Enlightened

Streak SAID [ QUOTE ]
Reading for long periods using the Freelight would be quite an unusual application

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure about that! I'm not alone - In the other Freelight thread, Darell says [ QUOTE ]
The old model was plenty bright enough for what I used it for - mostly reading in bed, so this new one should be that much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having said that, he is a little odd. My uses for the freelight are much more "normal":

Freesurf.jpg

Cheers (From a very un summer-like Dublin

Streak

Enlightened

Sorry JG!!

By the way, they are water resistant to 1m. A bunch of them were tested down to 25m. After surfacing some still worked but some did not, so dont try and use it as a diving light.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh-oh! Better be careful, lest this Freelight thread turns into something like this...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
I'd like to think that the above thread helped in motivating this new Freelight design... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Graham

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

---Can program unit to flash once every 20 seconds as a find in the dark feature.---
Does this auto off after 10 minutes?
BTW sorry about the second post on where to find it, I missed it on my trip through the thread
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened

Hello,

No time to read through all posts, but am curious of the excitement generated by this inconspicuously looking little light.

Could someone please summarize what is so great about this light and why I need it in no more than twenty words?

arab

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
kimchikungfu said:
Hello,

No time to read through all posts, but am curious of the excitement generated by this inconspicuously looking little light.

Could someone please summarize what is so great about this light and why I need it in no more than twenty words?

[/ QUOTE ]

Summarise? Oh no, you'll have to go back to first principles like the rest of us in order to truly appreciate the Freelight!

So, go get a cup of coffee, put your feet up and click on The Original Freelight Thread. When you're done, and if you want to truly experience the Freelight experience, you can - as Graham indicated above - then click on The other Freelight thread. You will enjoy it - really!

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened

Thank you Wit, am impressed by the wordcount results. From now on I will consult your services in all CPF monster threads, yes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

arab, yeah right...

btw, solar??? a solar driven flashlight? you've started using flashlights in broad daylight? i know you are serious flashaholics, but has it really gone that far? explain!

Streak

Enlightened

Witsend, no, the find in the dark 20s flash continues until you switch the light on again at which time it then gets disabled or until the battery goes flat.

I guess that if this was not the case then you would only be able to find the unit in the dark for 10 minutes after which you would need another flashlight to find it!!

arab

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
kimchikungfu said:
arab, yeah right...
btw, solar??? a solar driven flashlight? you've started using flashlights in broad daylight? i know you are serious flashaholics, but has it really gone that far? explain!

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you'll have to read the threads above!

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
arab said:
I think you'll have to read the threads above!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear...

Well, I knew I would have to, eventually...